Big Pay Rise This April??

#1
Out on Telic 9 & topic keeps popping up at scoff regarding a "bumper" pay rise in April. Two trains of thought:

1. We are already skint so how the feck can they afford to give us a big pay rise?

2. With a number of "Top Brass" having grown a set and absolutely slated Tony & his Government publicly and with recruiting & retention in a dire state, the only option left is to pay us what we are worth and hence a big pay rise come April 07.

Any thoughts :?
 
#3
Don't get your hopes up!
 
#4
Here's my prediction - 3% and staggered. Probably something like 2% in April with the other 1% sometime Oct/Nov.
 
#5
Soldier_Why said:
Here's my prediction - 3% and staggered. Probably something like 2% in April with the other 1% sometime Oct/Nov.
I agree that is most likely (although one of our Minsters has recently pointed out that this Government has always paid the increase on time and in one go, rather than in steps as was the behaviour of the last Tory Government - hoisted by his own petard, perhaps?), and they will bump up the charges by more than inflation. Recruiting and retention will, of course, be massively improved by this increase.....

Litotes
 
#6
Happy_Sapper said:
Out on Telic 9 & topic keeps popping up at scoff regarding a "bumper" pay rise in April. Two trains of thought:

1. We are already skint so how the feck can they afford to give us a big pay rise?

2. With a number of "Top Brass" having grown a set and absolutely slated Tony & his Government publicly and with recruiting & retention in a dire state, the only option left is to pay us what we are worth and hence a big pay rise come April 07.

Any thoughts :?
'Lower ranks' - decent rise, 'higher' ranks not so decent.

Issues:

Where will the line be drawn to define the 'lower' rank'.
How do you prevent disincentivisation of the 'higher' rank as the pay gap between 'lower' and 'higher' reduces.

PAW
 
#7
pombsen-armchair-warrior said:
Happy_Sapper said:
Out on Telic 9 & topic keeps popping up at scoff regarding a "bumper" pay rise in April. Two trains of thought:

1. We are already skint so how the feck can they afford to give us a big pay rise?

2. With a number of "Top Brass" having grown a set and absolutely slated Tony & his Government publicly and with recruiting & retention in a dire state, the only option left is to pay us what we are worth and hence a big pay rise come April 07.

Any thoughts :?
'Lower ranks' - decent rise, 'higher' ranks not so decent.

Issues:

Where will the line be drawn to define the 'lower' rank'.
How do you prevent disincentivisation of the 'higher' rank as the pay gap between 'lower' and 'higher' reduces.

PAW
Promotion!!
 
#8
Expect the square root of fcuk all apart from a lot of noise and spin over a "big" headline amount in the short term for the headlines.

Many expect that to result in quite modest increases in actual net cash paid and being delivered over a longer term.
 
#9
Promotion? Don't be silly! Have you forgotten about what is happening with the Royal Navy and their promotion freeze?

By applying this to all 3 Services you will stop people being angry at not being promoted because they cease to loose money :)

Edited to add:

Having listened to Toneee's bullshítting speech on the telly just now (so no point asking for a link Sven you stupid cnut), it is clear that no matter how high the pay rise awarded (and I suspect it will be in one part), the charges for accommodation will, miraculously, equal or slightly exceed any increase in salary.

Especially as Tonee claims that they are 15,000 houses ahead of schedule for improvements. Having claimed that the MoD spent 700 million quid last year, and will spend 5 billion over the next 10 years (is that the gross figure in 10 years including inflation, or 5 billion at today's value?), this means that in the future the government will be spending even less than it is at the moment: 5billion over 10 years=500million per annum, a rather significant reduction on the 700million spent this year.

Nice soundbite though.

My top tip to all those still serving: prepare to get royally shafted.
 
#15
the_man_in_the_corner said:
3.5% at the most, unless they use it as a thank you and a vote for Gordon.
Here you are lads take a 10% pay rise, now remember where to put that cross at the next election.

Your mate Gordon xxx


Sparky :)
 
#17
With the cry of 'No new money' ringing in the ears, one suspects that any above inflation pay rise will have to be balanced against cuts elsewhere. The accommodation issue, an inability to recruit (enough) and a clamour for us to do still more (with less - 6 Div? Do me a favour!) suggests that a bigger slice for new entrants and a sweetner to demonstrate how much we are 'valued' by the Nation may be on the cards but it will be at the expense of a few Typhoon, a carrier or (we can only hope) a scaling down of the UK's nuclear deterrant or all of the above. Not surprising therefore that the boys in blue are trying to raise their profile in order to demonstrate how invaluable they are to Defence. Only 2 ships to defend the UK mainland? Sounds plenty to me!
 
#20
a staggered pay rise is a bugger for anyone coming to the end of their 22 years, the 2nd half of the rise wont be taken into account for your pension if your end date comes first. (just been on the 'Im getting out soon' resettlement Pensions brief)
 

Similar threads


Latest Threads

Top