Big MPGS whoopsie!

Why would you want to goad a soldier and potentially compromise security at a military base?

Nigel is a twat. The gate guard needs a bit of a briefing about what his response should be depending on the threat level but Nigel is definitely a twat.

And that is putting it politely!

Yes, but that's all he is, does he deserve to have a loaded weapon pointed at him, does he have to be arrested?

Nope, this is not some Communist state, yet. Let Nigel enjoy the freedoms we as military folk have assured him.

endure

GCM
Why would you want to goad a soldier and potentially compromise security at a military base?

Nigel is a twat. The gate guard needs a bit of a briefing about what his response should be depending on the threat level but Nigel is definitely a twat.

And that is putting it politely!
Because we can. Because the law allows us to. Because this is the UK not the Soviet Union.

endure

GCM
It's the Royal Vauxhall Tavern, thank you.

They do good cask ales, albeit served with a little umbrella and a coy wink.
umbrella.jpg

A few years back I was working (well attending) at a Cat C/D Prison Establishment.

I would be regularly put on the outside gate as a punishment (I enjoyed it, being out in the fresh air having a joke with the Legal Visitors (We let anybody in but very careful who we let out or not as the bad press received confirmed), and the normal public (well as normal as they could be when they were associated with some of the rouges we locked up).

Big signs all around the establishment say no camera's or filming etc Prison Act 1959 etc.

The gate I was responsible was set back from the main road near to the married quarters (being an old RAF Airfield) so to be filming outside my gate you had to have entered Prison Property and pass numerous 'No Filming/Camera's Signs Prison Act 1959 etc'.

Instructions had been issued to Gate Officers of what to do in the event of mis-behaviour by the public near to the gate.

Normally this was to instruct the indiviual to cease his activity immediately.

Advise the indiviual if he continued that he may be arrested 'Powers Of A Constable Prison Act 1959 etc'.

Contact Control and advise them of the situation.

Make notes of what was happening, this would also be recorded on CCTV.

Do not engage with the indiviual once they had been warned.

Let the Orderly Officer make a decision of what the response would be, this could be informing the Police who would pick the indiviual up and taking him away to attending the gate with a mug of tea and a biscuit and treating the indiviual as a 'Special Needs Case'. Asking who thier Social Worker/Mental Health Carer was etc.

We used to get some right nutters who turned up for a reaction and being ignored would send them in a frenzy state. The option in that case was again the Police, Ambulance and the indiviual being sectioned/charged with a public order offence i.e. being a obnoxious person in a public space or being a oxygen thieve.

Being a Cat C/D Prison Establishment we would be letting out Prisoner's on day release to gain work experience as part of thier pre-release training. We had former Cat A & B Prisoner's at the end of some lengthy sentences, 'some right tasty geezers from the smoke Gov!!!!'.

They would take great exception to being filmed on leaving or entering the gate.

On more than one occasion a budding film producer ended up on his arrse with a boot prisoner issue safety for the uses of being planted in thier swede.

Needless to say at that moment I was distracted by another activity and therefore 'DID NOT WITNESS THE INCIDENT GOVERNOR'.

Still did not deter them. Some idiots never learn.

However dragging the gobshite in through the gate, cautioning them and dragging them around to the segregation block to await the Police was not the correct action was it Tony!!!! Well it took the flak off me for a week, cheer's Mate.

Yes, but that's all he is, does he deserve to have a loaded weapon pointed at him, does he have to be arrested?

Nope, this is not some Communist state, yet. Let Nigel enjoy the freedoms we as military folk have assured him.
Well I never said Nigel deserved to have a loaded weapon pointed at himself nor did I say we live in a communist state.

The soldier who was on duty however is one of those military folk that you mention who help him to enjoy the freedom he enjoys.

Even if he overreacted to the situation, he does deserve better than a twat like Nigel turning up at his guardroom and setting him up for ridicule on the internet!

Because we can. Because the law allows us to. Because this is the UK not the Soviet Union.
The fact we have the freedom to behave like a bellend doesn’t mean we should do so.

There is a thing called respect for each other while we live our lawful lives.

That’s probably the reason that Nigel didn’t get shot like he may well have done if this was the Soviet Union.

The photograher wanted a reaction. He got it. He can now upload it and feel better at all the hits.

The guard responded incorrectly by pulling his gat. Stupid move. It fed the photographer. The guard commander tried a different tack that still did not produce the result he was after immediately.

10 pages so far show that many more than just those on the clip would have found this a testing inject.

Leaving aside the 'he's not photographing anything that isn't visible anyway' what about the fact that he is photographing the MPGS, where they work, associating cars with the camp, company vans doing work on the camp etc. Once upon a time in the Province (I know this is not Norn Iron) this type of activity would have raised suspicions enough to warrant alerting the police.

The photograher wanted a reaction. He got it. He can now upload it and feel better at all the hits.

The guard responded incorrectly by pulling his gat. Stupid move. It fed the photographer. The guard commander tried a different tack that still did not produce the result he was after immediately.

10 pages so far show that many more than just those on the clip would have found this a testing inject.

Leaving aside the 'he's not photographing anything that isn't visible anyway' what about the fact that he is photographing the MPGS, where they work, associating cars with the camp, company vans doing work on the camp etc. Once upon a time in the Province (I know this is not Norn Iron) this type of activity would have raised suspicions enough to warrant alerting the police.

That's the moral of this story - once upon a time. Yes, once upon a time this would have been a big deal, but not anymore, really.

Such 'audits' of prohibited places are the norm now. We cannot treat such actions with the same contempt we once did.

We've moved on, human rights now routinely trump the laws that infringe them.

Proff3RTR

War Hero
I have to ask, those of you and I am not targeting your good self but all those who say it is his right fair enough, but put it in this light, would you go up to someone you do not know in the street and goad them? I think not, chances are you will get a good slap, and bloody well deserve it. Military personnel as you well know work within guidelines, sometimes as here those lines are forgotten, or the ‘red rage’ kicks in and things go south, we are after all only human (well some of us, others I have my doubts:p) and as all humans, our base instincts sometimes get the better of us, regardless of training, discipline, self control etc.

Put it this way, idiot boy with the camera/I phone did what he did because he knew he was safe, as said, do that to someone on the high street and see what happens. A soldier is not allowed that luxury and yet some think that justifies their actions as ‘their right’.

I have to ask, those of you and I am not targeting your good self but all those who say it is his right fair enough, but put it in this light, would you go up to someone you do not know in the street and goad them? I think not, chances are you will get a good slap, and bloody well deserve it. Military personnel as you well know work within guidelines, sometimes as here those lines are forgotten, or the ‘red rage’ kicks in and things go south, we are after all only human (well some of us, others I have my doubts:p) and as all humans, our base instincts sometimes get the better of us, regardless of training, discipline, self control etc.

Put it this way, idiot boy with the camera/I phone did what he did because he knew he was safe, as said, do that to someone on the high street and see what happens. A soldier is not allowed that luxury and yet some think that justifies their actions as ‘their right’.

You're seeing this as an 'extraordinary event' - it's not - it literally happens daily to 'prohibited places' all over the UK, USA and other 'democratic countries' - why? Because they know they get away with it.

The MPGS should be all over this like a rash given their front facing role at any military base. It appears the MoD Plod know the score (based on seeing how they react in other such 'audits') and how to handle these individuals, sadly the MPGS do not.

Yes the bloke with the camera is an unwanted nuisance and attention seeking tosser, but he is literally doing nothing wrong in the grand scheme of things in this democracy we live in.

This is a failing on the part of those who protect our bases, and nobody else. There is a way to handle these situations, and what we saw in the original post is not it.

Proff3RTR

War Hero
You're seeing this as an 'extraordinary event' - it's not - it literally happens daily to 'prohibited places' all over the UK, USA and other 'democratic countries' - why? Because they know they get away with it.

The MPGS should be all over this like a rash given their front facing role at any military base. It appears the MoD Plod know the score (based on seeing how they react in other such 'audits') and how to handle these individuals, sadly the MPGS do not.

Yes the bloke with the camera is an unwanted nuisance and attention seeking tosser, but he is literally doing nothing wrong in the grand scheme of things in this democracy we live in.

This is a failing on the part of those who protect our bases, and nobody else. There is a way to handle these situations, and what we saw in the original post is not it.
I know how to handle that sort of situation, but you are wrong, I do not see it as an extraordinary situation, this happens more than most care to admit. And you are right, the MPGS soldier did not handle it at all well. But I would say this to you, every unit has it’s soldiers who are not shall we say, top of their game, I put it to you the MPGS are no different than our old units, does not excuse his actions, but he might just be the platoon biff, who knows.

But as I said, ifa total stranger came up to you and kept putting a camera I. Your face how would you react after a while, let’s say you were having a BBQ in your back garden and he was on public land and kept watching you etc, what would you do, call plod? As all he is doing is just watching and taking photos, nowt else.

I know how to handle that sort of situation, but you are wrong, I do not see it as an extraordinary situation, this happens more than most care to admit. And you are right, the MPGS soldier did not handle it at all well. But I would say this to you, every unit has it’s soldiers who are not shall we say, top of their game, I put it to you the MPGS are no different than our old units, does not excuse his actions, but he might just be the platoon biff, who knows.

But as I said, ifa total stranger came up to you and kept putting a camera I. Your face how would you react after a while, let’s say you were having a BBQ in your back garden and he was on public land and kept watching you etc, what would you do, call plod? As all he is doing is just watching and taking photos, nowt else.

I'd build a bigger fence. If there is something I don't want anyone to see - I'll just make sure they cannot see it.

He can sit outside my house and take pics of me, my house, my family, my cars, anything, I really couldn't care less, because 'he's just watching and taking photos, nowt else', and because he will be on about 4 of my CCTV cameras at any one time anyhow. Soon as he walks onto my property - then it's a different story.

Also, these 'audits' are always only short lived and last no more than a couple of hours. IF I did deem anyone outside my house a threat - I would approach them, ask what they were doing and why, and if I was concerned I'd call the Cops - no further engagement required on my part.

As mentioned previously regarding Pokemons - the green right infront of my house must be a spawn place for them too and we often have strange individuals outside swiping on their mobile phones. I keep an eye on them, nothing more.

No need to make mountains out of molehills. The way the MoD Plod handled the incident at Faslane and other similar incidents like that is how it should be done, and that is what I would do too.

endure

GCM
I have to ask, those of you and I am not targeting your good self but all those who say it is his right fair enough, but put it in this light, would you go up to someone you do not know in the street and goad them? I think not, chances are you will get a good slap,
No I personally wouldn't but if I were to act perfectly legally in public and someone came up and gave me a good slap I would do my damndest to make sure they were prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

What is it you don't understand about people going about their legal business without some ******** walking up and saying 'you can't do that because I said so'?

At 32.18 I think the Guard Commander was about to say something that shouldn't be shared about the pistol... I imagine most of us can imagine what he was going to say.

Edit: someones given it away in the comments anyway.

Latest Threads