Big Brother is watching. 'TV Licencing'

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by BuggerAll, Jul 25, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

'TV Licensing' have written to my wife telling her that Tesco have informed them that she has recently bought TV receiving equipment and they have noticed that there is no TV licence at the address Tesco gave them (Post Office forwarding sent it on).

As it happens it was me that bought it but I scanned in our Tesco loyalty card that is in her name. We also have a TV licence but we've moved from the address that Tesco have and updated the licence.

Am I being unnecessarily paranoid? Should Tesco be informing a third party of my purchases?

Unfortunately I shredded the letter I now wish I'd written to them and told them to bring it on.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Been happening for years.

• Like Like x 1
  3. what he said. Don't worry about it mate, it's been going on for years. I think retailers are obliged to pass on the info to the robbing bastards.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Yeah, been like this for ages. Tell 'em you bought it as a present just to **** them off.

5. It is incumbent upon retailers to inform the BBC (because thats who it is reallu)that you have bought tv receiving equipment, they then send a pooter generated letter to that address. So nothing to worry about, just ignore it. Especially if you have moved as it makes it more un when they arecsentbtomyour new address and you show them the licence.

6. As far as I'm aware, TV licencing get informed of televisions that get sold if you use a credit/debit card or store loyalty card. It's their way of keeping up with licence dodgers because those cards have a record of the address of the purchaser. If you buy in cash, stores will sometimes ask for your details to pass on to TV licencing.

I used to get letters about every 6 months telling me that I had no TV licence. I duly phoned them to tell them that I had no television. Not sure if they believed me, and I told them they could send someone round any time they wanted to check, but they never did...

7. They have no powers of entry, search or arrest, if they turn up at the door trying to interview you under caution tell them to get fucked. They have to provide actual evidence to get a search warrant, a data base is not enough and that warrant has to be acted upon by the police, not the TV licencing people.

They are civillian employees of a private company, ignore them just like I have for the last 5 years.

Strangely they have failed to obtain a warrant and break down my door at 2 in the morning as the nice letters keep implying.

• Like Like x 8
  8. We get letter telling us we have no TV license. We don't, and (at the moment) we don't need one as SWMBO's mother lives in one end of our bungalow and, as she's 90, she qualifies for a free one - only one license is needed per household.

9. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I'm not worried. Just irritated that one business is passing private information to another one.

10. Same as Magrat - I used to get the same letter on a regular basis, despite not owning a TV.

When I was on tour my Dad saw the letters, had a bit of a flap and sent off a cheque to the licence people - upon my return when he told me I went apeshit on the phone to them. Didn't get anywhere, and I made sure I was talking to the supervisors' supervisor rather than just some unlucky drone in the complaints department - I even asked for their location so I could complain in person and extract a genuine apology (they went off on "our staff deserve to be free to work in a threat free environment, blah, blah..." "So when my elderly father was so threatened by your demands that he spent money he couldn't afford rather than on heating his house or feeding him self, thats okay then?").

As I said, didn't get anywhere - but got rid of alot of stress against some poor bugger!

• Like Like x 1
  11. As stated above, if Tesco don't take and pass your details on, they commit an offence under the Wireless Telegraphy Act 1967.

12. **** me, only just noticed? We bought our first telly back in 1969 and had the same type of letter then. Hardly anything to do with loyalty cards, debit cards or credit cards as there weren't any back then. And think yourself lucky because we had to buy a license to listen to the radio in them days.

• Like Like x 1
  13. What the others have said above.

A while back the responsibility was placed on retailers to notify on the sale of receiving equipment.
    At first they would ask for your address when you purchased a TV etc, but more often now there will be a link to an address somehow.
    If you get asked and don't provide an address they are probably obliged to refuse the sale.

With the Tesco example it is the clubcard used that provides a link to an address.
    You should get the address changed with Tescos as you will miss out on the points vouchers that have been accumulated from buying a TV. Could be worth a whole pound or two.

14. I bought a 19 year old TV the other week. I've not had a letter.

Though he was only £20 for the hour, so I paid cash.

• Like Like x 12
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. At the risk of kicking off an age old thread(told Jarrod we should get rid of the search button!); a tv licence is not or TVs, but or TV Signal receiving equips. Examples of which where given earlier, amongst which are computers, hence the harassment is the same when you buy a pooter as when you by a TV.