"Big Boys Rules"

Hello all.

Read a thread on another forum and I was wondering if anyone here can help me. The quote I am interested in is as follows:

thats the one...interesting stuff especially when the BA uit got lost and looked in a northerly direction and saw irish armoured cars and troops forming up and assumed it was an invasion force and reported it back to base where a troop of Fox AFVs was readied to repe the invaders!:D
Does anyone know (not having read the above book by Mark Urban) when this incident supposedly took place and which BA units were involved?

Regards

s_s

The unit involved would have been based at Lisanelly Camp in Omagh, which was the home base for an Armoured Recce Regiment until the infantry took it over. 1 RTR were the first ever unit on Fox in 1975 (Tidworth) so you are looking at 1976 onwards, possibly 2 RTR.

aghart said:
The unit involved would have been based at Lisanelly Camp in Omagh, which was the home base for an Armoured Recce Regiment until the infantry took it over. 1 RTR were the first ever unit on Fox in 1975 (Tidworth) so you are looking at 1976 onwards, possibly 2 RTR.
Good answer

Detailed - Concise - Accurate - Timely

Well done that man.

Steward, I say Steward.....

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
aghart said:
In 1976 9/12L (who?) took over from 15/19H as Omagh Recce Regt.

TARA

Old-Salt
Just as a matter of interest, the author Mark Urban was a subaltern in 4RTR for 3 years, was commonly known as Sid Vicious.

midnight said:
Oi! Sloppy! 8O

We don´t have Stewards on this Forum,we do however have a BUTLER,I´m sure he´ll introduce himself! :roll:
Points to note:

1. Im not a steward.
2. Spoken to the butler he seems to be a nice guy, which clearly you are not.
3. Go and get me a brew.

Next

duty_cook said:
aghart said:
Good answer

Well done that man.

Then are you calling AGHART a Steward,or are you calling for a Steward to give him a beer?However,as Ferrets were still in use in early 1979 and Fox´s issued to Belcoo in May/June ´79 when 2RTR where in Omagh.......I was there when this happened,I think the introduction to the STREETS,ie tactically and not for training reasons a la´ 15/19th,was later than 1976.I was in Armagh/Tyrone in early ´76 and Fox wasn´t there then.1976 onwards is perhaps correct in wider terms but not very accurate,which is an RAC speciality. :twisted:

I might not be a nice person,but I won´t be apologising for your bone comments! :p

Mark Urban - irrelevant of background, was never one to allow the facts of a situation to stand in the way of a good story. 'Big Boys Rules?' bag of bollocks!

Or the man who gives 'first hand' accounts of conflict situations from at least one country away?

AlienFTM said:
aghart said:
In 1976 9/12L (who?) took over from 15/19H as Omagh Recce Regt.
I think it was the Milkmen the 13/18th,IIRC one turned up in a 4 tonner to pick us up at Belfast and took us to Lisnally barracks in May ´79;There a QDG officer was there to ´greet ´us.............turned out to be my old Trl ldr whom I´d slagged off in front of the assembled press in Middletown in ´76,he wasn´t very glad to see me! :x

Ergo, the handover must have been around this time,13/18th to 2RTR?QDG were the last RAC Regt there and handed over to the Queens Regt,1983?

The milkmen were at Omagh 1978 to 1979, well certainly 1978 anyway

midnight said:
duty_cook said:
aghart said:
Good answer

Well done that man.

Then are you calling AGHART a Steward,or are you calling for a Steward to give him a beer?However,as Ferrets were still in use in early 1979 and Fox´s issued to Belcoo in May/June ´79 when 2RTR where in Omagh.......I was there when this happened,I think the introduction to the STREETS,ie tactically and not for training reasons a la´ 15/19th,was later than 1976.I was in Armagh/Tyrone in early ´76 and Fox wasn´t there then.1976 onwards is perhaps correct in wider terms but not very accurate,which is an RAC speciality. :twisted:

I might not be a nice person,but I won´t be apologising for your bone comments! :p
I did intend to apologies for your misunderstanding of my comments, but after reading your other posts i realised that you do actually take yourself far to seriuosly and i would be wating my time.

Sir, you are a muppet.

And yes I was indeed asking for a steward.

Perhaps if you attended a relevent course, your **** retention would be less of an issue and you could concetrate on finding yourself a sence of humour.

Goodnight and Fcuk Off.

Oh yeah,

The next time i want your opinion I will give it to you.

Cnut

duty_cook said:
midnight said:
duty_cook said:
aghart said:
Good answer

Well done that man.

I did intend to apologies for your misunderstanding of my comments, but after reading your other posts i realised that you do actually take yourself far to seriuosly and i would be wating my time.

Sir, you are a muppet.

Perhaps if you attended a relevent course, your **** retention would be less of an issue and you could concetrate on finding yourself a sence of humour.

Goodnight and Fcuk Off.

Oh yeah,

Cnut
Being a fat bloke I have always made it a rule never to annoy the chef :wink:
the_butler
Mess Steward course April 1985 :chef:

Duty_cook :-

Sir, you are a muppet.
.............................................................................................
Don´t call me Sir,I work for living............and get your spelling sorted out;Oh yes,you can get up off your knees now!

And I definitely won´t be reading your other posts,life is far too short. :(

Mark Urban said he wasn't in as long as two years in his bio bit on the book.

the_butler said:
duty_cook said:
midnight said:
duty_cook said:
aghart said:
Good answer

Well done that man.

Sir, you are a muppet.

Goodnight and Fcuk Off.

Oh yeah,

Cnut
Being a fat bloke I have always made it a rule never to annoy the chef :wink:
the_butler
Mess Steward course April 1985 :chef:
As ever Butler, well said and a very important point, which at times can be overlooked.

As everbody who has seen Under Siege 1 or 2 should know "Dont fukc with the cook"

Clearly a script error as he should have said "Chef" rather then "Cook".

Anyway life is too short and already has its quota of knobs.

midnight said:
Duty_cook :-

Sir, you are a muppet.
.............................................................................................
Don´t call me Sir,I work for living............and get your spelling sorted out;Oh yes,you can get up off your knees now!

And I definitely won´t be reading your other posts,life is far too short. :(
Admiraly put Midnight.

Touche.

Moving on.........

Top tip dont have the soup

stameen_s said:
Thank- you for the replies, gentlemen. Are you saying that he may have been telling porkies?
I couldn't confirm anything for sure in that TAOR at that time because I was serving in the 3BDE area but I would be hard pushed to remember ANY Oglaigh na Eireann vehicles (which weren't in the Leb) workable enough to 'form up' anywhere.