"Big Boys Rules"

stameen_s

Old-Salt
Hello all.

Read a thread on another forum and I was wondering if anyone here can help me. The quote I am interested in is as follows:

thats the one...interesting stuff especially when the BA uit got lost and looked in a northerly direction and saw irish armoured cars and troops forming up and assumed it was an invasion force and reported it back to base where a troop of Fox AFVs was readied to repe the invaders!:D
Does anyone know (not having read the above book by Mark Urban) when this incident supposedly took place and which BA units were involved?

Regards

s_s
 

aghart

War Hero
The unit involved would have been based at Lisanelly Camp in Omagh, which was the home base for an Armoured Recce Regiment until the infantry took it over. 1 RTR were the first ever unit on Fox in 1975 (Tidworth) so you are looking at 1976 onwards, possibly 2 RTR.
 

duty_cook

Old-Salt
aghart said:
The unit involved would have been based at Lisanelly Camp in Omagh, which was the home base for an Armoured Recce Regiment until the infantry took it over. 1 RTR were the first ever unit on Fox in 1975 (Tidworth) so you are looking at 1976 onwards, possibly 2 RTR.
Good answer

Detailed - Concise - Accurate - Timely

Well done that man.

Steward, I say Steward.....
 

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
aghart said:
The unit involved would have been based at Lisanelly Camp in Omagh, which was the home base for an Armoured Recce Regiment until the infantry took it over. 1 RTR were the first ever unit on Fox in 1975 (Tidworth) so you are looking at 1976 onwards, possibly 2 RTR.
In 1976 9/12L (who?) took over from 15/19H as Omagh Recce Regt.
 

TARA

Old-Salt
Just as a matter of interest, the author Mark Urban was a subaltern in 4RTR for 3 years, was commonly known as Sid Vicious.
 

duty_cook

Old-Salt
midnight said:
Oi! Sloppy! 8O

We don´t have Stewards on this Forum,we do however have a BUTLER,I´m sure he´ll introduce himself! :roll:
Points to note:

1. Im not a steward.
2. Spoken to the butler he seems to be a nice guy, which clearly you are not.
3. Go and get me a brew.

Next
 
duty_cook said:
aghart said:
The unit involved would have been based at Lisanelly Camp in Omagh, which was the home base for an Armoured Recce Regiment until the infantry took it over. 1 RTR were the first ever unit on Fox in 1975 (Tidworth) so you are looking at 1976 onwards, possibly 2 RTR.
Good answer

Detailed - Concise - Accurate - Timely

Well done that man.

Steward, I say Steward.....
Then are you calling AGHART a Steward,or are you calling for a Steward to give him a beer?However,as Ferrets were still in use in early 1979 and Fox´s issued to Belcoo in May/June ´79 when 2RTR where in Omagh.......I was there when this happened,I think the introduction to the STREETS,ie tactically and not for training reasons a la´ 15/19th,was later than 1976.I was in Armagh/Tyrone in early ´76 and Fox wasn´t there then.1976 onwards is perhaps correct in wider terms but not very accurate,which is an RAC speciality. :twisted:

I might not be a nice person,but I won´t be apologising for your bone comments! :p
 

bob_lawlaw

Old-Salt
Mark Urban - irrelevant of background, was never one to allow the facts of a situation to stand in the way of a good story. 'Big Boys Rules?' bag of bollocks!
 
Or the man who gives 'first hand' accounts of conflict situations from at least one country away?
 
AlienFTM said:
aghart said:
The unit involved would have been based at Lisanelly Camp in Omagh, which was the home base for an Armoured Recce Regiment until the infantry took it over. 1 RTR were the first ever unit on Fox in 1975 (Tidworth) so you are looking at 1976 onwards, possibly 2 RTR.
In 1976 9/12L (who?) took over from 15/19H as Omagh Recce Regt.
I think it was the Milkmen the 13/18th,IIRC one turned up in a 4 tonner to pick us up at Belfast and took us to Lisnally barracks in May ´79;There a QDG officer was there to ´greet ´us.............turned out to be my old Trl ldr whom I´d slagged off in front of the assembled press in Middletown in ´76,he wasn´t very glad to see me! :x

Ergo, the handover must have been around this time,13/18th to 2RTR?QDG were the last RAC Regt there and handed over to the Queens Regt,1983?
 
The milkmen were at Omagh 1978 to 1979, well certainly 1978 anyway
 

duty_cook

Old-Salt
midnight said:
duty_cook said:
aghart said:
The unit involved would have been based at Lisanelly Camp in Omagh, which was the home base for an Armoured Recce Regiment until the infantry took it over. 1 RTR were the first ever unit on Fox in 1975 (Tidworth) so you are looking at 1976 onwards, possibly 2 RTR.
Good answer

Detailed - Concise - Accurate - Timely

Well done that man.

Steward, I say Steward.....
Then are you calling AGHART a Steward,or are you calling for a Steward to give him a beer?However,as Ferrets were still in use in early 1979 and Fox´s issued to Belcoo in May/June ´79 when 2RTR where in Omagh.......I was there when this happened,I think the introduction to the STREETS,ie tactically and not for training reasons a la´ 15/19th,was later than 1976.I was in Armagh/Tyrone in early ´76 and Fox wasn´t there then.1976 onwards is perhaps correct in wider terms but not very accurate,which is an RAC speciality. :twisted:

I might not be a nice person,but I won´t be apologising for your bone comments! :p
I did intend to apologies for your misunderstanding of my comments, but after reading your other posts i realised that you do actually take yourself far to seriuosly and i would be wating my time.

Sir, you are a muppet.

And yes I was indeed asking for a steward.

Perhaps if you attended a relevent course, your **** retention would be less of an issue and you could concetrate on finding yourself a sence of humour.

Goodnight and Fcuk Off.

Oh yeah,

The next time i want your opinion I will give it to you.

Cnut
 
duty_cook said:
midnight said:
duty_cook said:
aghart said:
The unit involved would have been based at Lisanelly Camp in Omagh, which was the home base for an Armoured Recce Regiment until the infantry took it over. 1 RTR were the first ever unit on Fox in 1975 (Tidworth) so you are looking at 1976 onwards, possibly 2 RTR.
Good answer

Detailed - Concise - Accurate - Timely

Well done that man.

Steward, I say Steward.....
Then are you calling AGHART a Steward,or are you calling for a Steward to give him a beer?However,as Ferrets were still in use in early 1979 and Fox´s issued to Belcoo in May/June ´79 when 2RTR where in Omagh.......I was there when this happened,I think the introduction to the STREETS,ie tactically and not for training reasons a la´ 15/19th,was later than 1976.I was in Armagh/Tyrone in early ´76 and Fox wasn´t there then.1976 onwards is perhaps correct in wider terms but not very accurate,which is an RAC speciality. :twisted:

I might not be a nice person,but I won´t be apologising for your bone comments! :p
I did intend to apologies for your misunderstanding of my comments, but after reading your other posts i realised that you do actually take yourself far to seriuosly and i would be wating my time.

Sir, you are a muppet.

And yes I was indeed asking for a steward.

Perhaps if you attended a relevent course, your **** retention would be less of an issue and you could concetrate on finding yourself a sence of humour.

Goodnight and Fcuk Off.

Oh yeah,

The next time i want your opinion I will give it to you.

Cnut
Being a fat bloke I have always made it a rule never to annoy the chef :wink:
the_butler
Mess Steward course April 1985 :chef:
 
Duty_cook :-

I did intend to apologies for your misunderstanding of my comments, but after reading your other posts i realised that you do actually take yourself far to seriuosly and i would be wating my time.

Sir, you are a muppet.
.............................................................................................
Don´t call me Sir,I work for living............and get your spelling sorted out;Oh yes,you can get up off your knees now!

And I definitely won´t be reading your other posts,life is far too short. :(
 
Mark Urban said he wasn't in as long as two years in his bio bit on the book.
 

duty_cook

Old-Salt
the_butler said:
duty_cook said:
midnight said:
duty_cook said:
aghart said:
The unit involved would have been based at Lisanelly Camp in Omagh, which was the home base for an Armoured Recce Regiment until the infantry took it over. 1 RTR were the first ever unit on Fox in 1975 (Tidworth) so you are looking at 1976 onwards, possibly 2 RTR.
Good answer

Detailed - Concise - Accurate - Timely

Well done that man.

Steward, I say Steward.....
Then are you calling AGHART a Steward,or are you calling for a Steward to give him a beer?However,as Ferrets were still in use in early 1979 and Fox´s issued to Belcoo in May/June ´79 when 2RTR where in Omagh.......I was there when this happened,I think the introduction to the STREETS,ie tactically and not for training reasons a la´ 15/19th,was later than 1976.I was in Armagh/Tyrone in early ´76 and Fox wasn´t there then.1976 onwards is perhaps correct in wider terms but not very accurate,which is an RAC speciality. :twisted:

I might not be a nice person,but I won´t be apologising for your bone comments! :p
I did intend to apologies for your misunderstanding of my comments, but after reading your other posts i realised that you do actually take yourself far to seriuosly and i would be wating my time.

Sir, you are a muppet.

And yes I was indeed asking for a steward.

Perhaps if you attended a relevent course, your **** retention would be less of an issue and you could concetrate on finding yourself a sence of humour.

Goodnight and Fcuk Off.

Oh yeah,

The next time i want your opinion I will give it to you.

Cnut
Being a fat bloke I have always made it a rule never to annoy the chef :wink:
the_butler
Mess Steward course April 1985 :chef:
As ever Butler, well said and a very important point, which at times can be overlooked.

As everbody who has seen Under Siege 1 or 2 should know "Dont fukc with the cook"

Clearly a script error as he should have said "Chef" rather then "Cook".

Anyway life is too short and already has its quota of knobs.
 

duty_cook

Old-Salt
midnight said:
Duty_cook :-

I did intend to apologies for your misunderstanding of my comments, but after reading your other posts i realised that you do actually take yourself far to seriuosly and i would be wating my time.

Sir, you are a muppet.
.............................................................................................
Don´t call me Sir,I work for living............and get your spelling sorted out;Oh yes,you can get up off your knees now!

And I definitely won´t be reading your other posts,life is far too short. :(
Admiraly put Midnight.

Touche.

Moving on.........

Top tip dont have the soup
 

GDav

LE
stameen_s said:
Thank- you for the replies, gentlemen. Are you saying that he may have been telling porkies?
I couldn't confirm anything for sure in that TAOR at that time because I was serving in the 3BDE area but I would be hard pushed to remember ANY Oglaigh na Eireann vehicles (which weren't in the Leb) workable enough to 'form up' anywhere.
 

New Posts

Latest Threads

Top