• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Big Ben to be renamed?

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
At least it will be a name people will remember. The correct name for the tower is St Stephens tower. Big Ben is the bell. I have won enough pub quiz bonus questions for knowing that simple fact.

Why?

Big Ben is the bell, and will not be renamed.

The tower will be renamed Elizabeth Tower in honour of our Monarch reaching her Diamond Jubilee... which is perfectly fitting as the tower at the oppisite end of the Hoses of Parliment is named victoria Tower... after Queen Victoria and her Diamon jubilee.

What I like about the United Kingdom is we don't print our country's name on our stamps; we recognise the sovereign's head as authority enough. Also unlike johnny Dago, we don't keep naming things after dates, events, or people, until a decent time has passed, Alma Street(s) notwithstanding.

Herumph!

Is it really a good idea to name HM ships QEII or POW after all look what happened to the HMS POW at the time, badly damaged by Bismark then eventually sunk by the Japs!

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
Great Tom is the clock if I recall correctly, regardless of that, why should the name of the tower be changed?

Great Tom is one of the bells in St Pauls. St Paul is the biggest one in St Pauls.

Originally the great Big Ben bell was made in Norton, on Teesside, not far from Norton Werkies but we bust it. A new one was cast in Whitechapel but they bust that too, but not as drastically as the original Ben.

As regard the name change to the tower - why not? apart from nerds like me knowing that its St Stephens's tower its a simple move to call it Elizabeth Tower. (although its a campanile)

At least it will be a name people will remember. The correct name for the tower is St Stephens tower. Big Ben is the bell. I have won enough pub quiz bonus questions for knowing that simple fact.
but somehow.. it isn't.
St. Stephen's Tower houses the public entrance to the Houses of Parliament, which is also called St Stephen's entrance.
but it is not one of the three primary towers. those are;
the soon to be Elizabeth clock tower, the Victoria tower and the one in the middle is the central tower.
she'll still be known as big ben though,

but nonetheless this is old news. and I'm pretty sure it has been posted here before.

Latest Threads