Big Ben to be renamed?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Flash MacTavish, Jun 26, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

• Like Like x 1
  1. Big Bethy don't have the same charm, sorry ma'am.

2. Big Ben (the bell that strikes the hour) will retain its name, the Clock Tower will now be called the Aunty Betty Tower.

3. mercurydancer

mercurydancer LE Book Reviewer

At least it will be a name people will remember. The correct name for the tower is St Stephens tower. Big Ben is the bell. I have won enough pub quiz bonus questions for knowing that simple fact.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Why?

Big Ben is the bell, and will not be renamed.

The tower will be renamed Elizabeth Tower in honour of our Monarch reaching her Diamond Jubilee... which is perfectly fitting as the tower at the oppisite end of the Hoses of Parliment is named victoria Tower... after Queen Victoria and her Diamon jubilee.

• Like Like x 1
  5. What I like about the United Kingdom is we don't print our country's name on our stamps; we recognise the sovereign's head as authority enough. Also unlike johnny Dago, we don't keep naming things after dates, events, or people, until a decent time has passed, Alma Street(s) notwithstanding.

Herumph!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Great Tom is the clock if I recall correctly, regardless of that, why should the name of the tower be changed?

7. Is it really a good idea to name HM ships QEII or POW after all look what happened to the HMS POW at the time, badly damaged by Bismark then eventually sunk by the Japs!

8. I believe that the clock has only ever been known as “The Tower Clock”.

9. Do we get another day off to celebrate?

10. Why not?

11. mercurydancer

mercurydancer LE Book Reviewer

Great Tom is one of the bells in St Pauls. St Paul is the biggest one in St Pauls.

Originally the great Big Ben bell was made in Norton, on Teesside, not far from Norton Werkies but we bust it. A new one was cast in Whitechapel but they bust that too, but not as drastically as the original Ben.

As regard the name change to the tower - why not? apart from nerds like me knowing that its St Stephens's tower its a simple move to call it Elizabeth Tower. (although its a campanile)

12. What could we name after good old Phil ?

13. A kebab chain?

• Like Like x 1
  14. I actually find it an insult to royality that she is connected with a building that hold the most corrupt greedy bunch of ********* ever.

• Like Like x 3