big bang at oil depot - casualties..

We're north of Cambridge, and it shook our building...

One uncofirmed report said 6 killed.

The first Live footage is impressive. I bet its a COSH nightmare for the Fire brigade.

Edited to add:
Police have Said No plane involved.

It's one of the main aviation fuel suppliers for Heathrow, Luton and Stanstead so no doubt there will be yet another hike in fuel charges by the airlines.

What kind of 'accident' has caused these explosions?

Fugly

ADC
DirtyBAT
MISS_WHIPLASH said:
It's one of the main aviation fuel suppliers for Heathrow, Luton and Stanstead so no doubt there will be yet another hike in fuel charges by the airlines.

What kind of 'accident' has caused these explosions?
Got a conspiricy (sp?!) theory have you? Accidents do happen you know, its not always the towel-heads or hippies. This event seems similar to the Conoco refinery (I think it was Flixborough) that went up in 1974, a bloody huge bang as well by all accounts. I don't actually remember it (I was 2 days old!!!) but my dad tells me he had a nightmare getting to the hospital to come visit me with roads closed everywhere.

cpunk

LE
It certainly was a big bang: it woke my dog up in central London and my wife thought a subsequent rumble was our daughter falling out of bed!

People in the town are lucky. The fuel depot is on the eastern edge of the town (a few hundred yards west of the M1, which is closed) - the wind is a light westerly drift, taking the smoke away from them. Extensive live coverage on BBC 24 Hours and satellite ITV. Also BBC 24 on the internet BBC News 24

252_action said:
Imagine if the those underpaid overworked firemen were striking....
No worries there, if they were on strike they would rush back for such a 'spectacular' and expect to be heaped with praise for doing so and treated like heros for doing their job.

waiting for the boring gag about lazy firemen 252 ...drone on mate , and plant pilot i didnt expect that from you , shown your true colours

252_action said:
Imagine if the those underpaid overworked firemen were striking....
The local Labour MP, who was once a fireman, has already been on tv spouting about how 'once again the firemen are putting their lives on the line'. He was followed by the Chief Fire Officer explaining that the fire brigade would not be risking lives for property....

biffa said:
waiting for the boring gag about lazy firemen 252 ...drone on mate , and plant pilot i didnt expect that from you , shown your true colours
By what I've seen on UK-Fire that's what I believe would happen. It may not be what the majority of FFs would want to do but they repeatedly show themselves to be led by the union instead of having the union do what they want it to. You can try and argue that point but I'm going by what I've seen and heard. So if using the evidence and forming an opinion is 'showing my true colours', then yes, you're right. But it's my opinion, not one that a union has told me to have.

Roll up. roll up.
Get your claims in for compo to:

Texaco and Total
Big Bucks Trading Estate
Millionaires Street
(Hiding behind our piles of dosh)

Its going to cost them a packet and given the coverage on sky (particularly the cockney knob proffessing to be an expert) every fcuker within 100 miles will be putting in claims for the next 2 years. It would have been nice if it had at least levelled Hemel.....you'll know if you have ever been there.

yup plant that would be like when the lads broke the picket line (rightly so) put the fire out rescued a couple of kids only for the scum paper to show" royal navy medic rescues child" ..no problem but lets be blunt chaps ..if you think 50000 fire fighters are all work shy ***** who have a life of riley then say it, however if your just bitter (and rightly so) cos you had to provide fire cover and thus miss christmas etc etc then try to get over it im sorry .. this is a pretty switched on website with a lot of switched on chaps so dont be bone and so judgemental ..
anyway emotion aside ...the fire is likely to last for a while at the moment crews wil be working large water sprays providing cooling jets to exisiting pretrochem works , once enough AFFF has been pooled a sustained attack is likely , but until then it will be foolish and dangerous to attempt any firefighting

Fugly

ADC
DirtyBAT
biffa said:
cos you had to provide fire cover and thus miss christmas etc etc then try to get over it
Yes we did get over it, most of us got over it when we went back to the sandpit for another op tour while you fcukers sat in your taxi cabs on double time on your days off. You make me puke. A firefighter earns a hell of a lot more than your average tom, a tom who does your job without complaining and then runs the risk of being blown up or having his head lopped off by the towel-heads for the same money.

I respect firefighters who do the job and don't cause problems moaning about it, its the same in the army. And as we are constantly told - "IF YOU DONT LIKE THE PAY - FCUK OFF!" Someone else will quite gladly fill your position.

Latest Threads