Vanilla sugar dessert spoon OR Vanilla extract teaspoon

Topping:

Almonds, sliced and peeled 100gm

Honey 5 dessert spoons

Sugar 35 gm

Butter 50 gm

Filling:

Heavy whipping cream 500ml

Vanilla pudding mix 2 x Dr. Oetker packets (1.5ozs each) (Angel Delight vanilla or similar should work)

Vanilla extract 1 tsp OR Dessert spoon of vanilla sugar

Implements & extras:

Electric whisk

Sieve

Spatula

Hand whisk

Small saucepan

Dessert spoons

Pastry brush

9” – 10” cake springform

Butter for smearing around the springform

Parchment/greaseproof paper for the base of the spring form

Scissors to trim paper

Knife, long and sharp for top and bottoming the cake.

Mixing bowl if using a hand electric whisk

Baking temperature: 180 C / 355 F

Baking Time: 25 – 35 minutes……..keep an eye on it

DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DURING BAKING OR THE CAKE WILL IMPLODE AND DROP…….Trust the force.

Making the base/cake:

1. Gather everything first and turn the oven on to heat up.

2. Prepare the cake spring form. Put some paper over the base and close the form onto the paper, then trim away the excess paper leaving an extra half inch or so all around. Then smear the upright sides with butter………I fold a piece of paper towel then spread a small amount of butter onto the towel, then wipe around the form.

3. Put the sugar into the bowl. Break and add the eggs individually. Add the vanilla.

4. Whisk until like a fluffy, stiff’ish yellow mixture.

5. Place the sieve over the bowl and add the flour and baking powder and sift into the mix. Fold the flour into the mix gently so that you do not lose the bubbles in the mix. Then finish off by gently using the hand whisk to fully mix the flour and egg mix.

6. Pour into cake form. It is a thick mix, but it will find it’s own level so there is no need to try troweling it flat.

7. When it is all sort of flat’ish and level you need to sprinkle the sliced almonds around on top of the cake so they stick to it.

Ready?

8. Right whang it into the oven in the middle and say a prayer. If you have not got a glass door then you can probably take a very quick peek at the 25 minute point. I have found 25 minutes is just to soon, 30 minutes is about right and 35 is a tad too long.

Done?

9. Whip it out and leaving it in the cake form stand it on a trivet or baking rack.

Topping mix.

10. Put the honey, sugar and butter for the topping into the saucepan, warm and mix till all dissolved.

11. With the topping mix ready start applying it to the top of the cake over the almonds working from the outside to the middle. I gently drizzle around with a spoon and then finish by brushing from the centre to the outside to stop it pooling in the middle.

12. The topping mix will dry/harden to a glaze like finish.

13. Then you need to remove the spring side of the cake form. It should not stick if you buttered the sides.

14. Using the sharp knife cut the cake so that you have a top and a bottom. Sharp knife! Slowly.

Ok? Moving on.

15. Clean the insides of the spring cake form then re-apply a smear of some more butter. Then re-attach the sides to the base of the cake form that still has the bottom of the cake on it.

16. Whilst it is loose the top half of the cake should now be cut into portion sizes (8 portions works). Doing this now will stop the cream filling being squished out of the cake when cutting it later. Trust me.

On to the filling.

17. Put the cream and the pudding mix along with the vanilla into the bowl.

18. Whisk it all until a whipped cream like consistency is achieved……….my mum always used to add sugar to cream when whisking it as it allegedly makes it stiffer.

Done?

19. The reason you put the base back in the spring cake form and applied a smear of butter is that you are using it as a mold/form to hold in the filling mix. So, get the spatula and spread the filling onto the base evenly.

20. When you are happy with the cream then take the previously portioned pieces of the top layer and place them onto the filling a piece at a time.

Finally.

21. Place in the fridge for a few hours…….not an hour, a few hours.

22. Enjoy.

Last edited:
A reminder of what it looks like.

mifby9.jpg

Notes: I have never seen one where the middle has not dipped a little bit. So when cutting to top and bottom it make sure you cut it at the correct height.

Other than that here are a couple of German youtubes to watch.

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
Was? Bienenstich mit Füllung? Ich kenne (und liebe) Bienenstich nur als Blechkuchen, also ohne Füllung und platt. Seit wann gibt's den als glorifizierte Torte? Das ist bestimmt von irgendeinem Banausen erfunden worden.

MsG

I maybe a little unwell, but Mrs WW will find instructions nto produce the above tomorrow, for medicinal purposes you understand .
WW

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
Who keeps removing my "Like" from post 3, and why?
I wouldn't surprise me at all if it was the Mod @oldbaldy. He once banned me from a thread on which I posted nothing offensive or off-topic at all for, as he put it: "generally being a prat". Don't you just love impartiality?:p:p

MsG

Dark_Nit

LE
Book Reviewer
I wouldn't surprise me at all if it was the Mod @oldbaldy. He once banned me from a thread on which I posted nothing offensive or off-topic at all for, as he put it: "generally being a prat". Don't you just love impartiality?:p:p

MsG
Or when you post wibble in German like above?

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Was? Bienenstich mit Füllung? Ich kenne (und liebe) Bienenstich nur als Blechkuchen, also ohne Füllung und platt. Seit wann gibt's den als glorifizierte Torte? Das ist bestimmt von irgendeinem Banausen erfunden worden.

MsG

In English only please.

Thanks.

MsG
Yeah but that will be because you lived in a 3rd world shithole that couldn't afford or even buy the ingredients for a filling.

Bienenstich hat immer einen Pudding Füllung.

At least in the civilised parts of the country

MsG

Vraiment?
Pourquoi?

Je suis sure que ce n'est pas nécessaire pour vous a essayer a parle Allamande sur chaque subjet.

Yeah but that will be because you lived in a 3rd world shithole that couldn't afford or even buy the ingredients for a filling.

On that: I had a German who used to go over every couple of years with his parents to visit relatives who were caught behind the curtain. They used to load up the car and the trailer with basic necessities such as flour, sugar, coffee, toilet paper and luxury items like t-shirts, L3vi's and other such decadent western items. He used to tell us about the lack of items in shops over there and that if you wanted a cake or something special from the baker you needed to be getting your dibs in a couple of months in advance.

Und ja, Bienenstich hat immer eine Pudding-Füllung.

In die naechsten wochen fangen wir an mit die wissentschaftliche versuche in die herstellung von Schwarzwalder Kirschtorte.

On that: I had a German who used to go over every couple of years with his parents to visit relatives who were caught behind the curtain. They used to load up the car and the trailer with basic necessities such as flour, sugar, coffee, toilet paper and luxury items like t-shirts, L3vi's and other such decadent western items. He used to tell us about the lack of items in shops over there and that if you wanted a cake or something special from the baker you needed to be getting your dibs in a couple of months in advance.

Und ja, Bienenstich hat immer eine Pudding-Füllung.

In die naechsten wochen fangen wir an mit die wissentschaftliche versuche in die herstellung von Schwarzwalder Kirschtorte.
Do one on Sacher-Torte.
Chocaholics dream...

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer

Oh, reelee? And this? bienenstich ohne füllung - Google-Suche

MsG

Edited to add. I first ate Bienenstich (ohne Füllung) in Hamburg. Is that an "uncivilised" part of the country for you?

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
Take a look. Less than 20% of the results on the first page of your own link are pictures without a filling.
You went to all the trouble of working out the percentage? I'm impressed! But you avoided my question about Hamburg. Why's that?

MsG

You went to all the trouble of working out the percentage? I'm impressed! But you avoided my question about Hamburg. Why's that?

MsG
Because you fcuking edited it after I posted.
Fick mein alte stiefel you really are a dense twat.

Latest Threads