Bielefeld offers €1m reward

Some gentlemen of 617 Squadron might have been able to win the bet, but only had sufficient Grand Slam to make their viaduct cease to exist...

[Being stereotypically Teutonic, the thing was later rebuilt, of course]

Bielefeld's a city? I thought it was just a NAAFI.

DraftySatyr

Old-Salt
Christ, I don't remember Bielefeld being that big (340,000). Then again, it is over 30 years since I've been there.

"it became a long running German joke"

Fucking hilarious those krauts.

PC69?

Bielefeld hey? I went to visit a buddy in Beilefeld, all I seem to remember is a big NAAFI bar that sold cheap Carlsberg Charlies but the rest of the weekend is a drunken blurrrrrrrrr.

A month later the return visit to Fally was de ja vous !

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Indeed. Two years at the primary school in Catterick Barracks. All those Saturday visits to the cinema in Ripon Barracks, and the twice a week at the judo club. All just my imagination.

20 Gin and Tonics Wksp in Mossbank, now Rochdale, Barracks.

Caddy's - possibly the worst club in NRW.

The park on Otto Brenner St. - The trees were alive with half-nekkid Toms and half of the local female populace.

Never heard of the place.

3 great years in Catterick Barracks with Shiny 10 - excellent town, great regiment.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Reward? And for one panicky moment there I thought "Ulla is finally looking for me".

It does not exist, it’s an Arrse conspiracy

@184461 could get the reward with his evidence, that’s assuming he’s German today to be eligible
He's too busy celebrating Black Ribbon Day surely

Ah Bielefeld...

Late summer 1978 a newly qualified Sgt Beefer he’s just completed his in-theatre training and is require to fly from Münster to Detmold to be tested by the Senior Flying Instructor BAOR. The weather wasn’t great so I elected to transit through the “Bielefeld Gap” which was a dip in the Teutoburger Walt ridge that mostly remained clear of cloud and this was the case in this instance and I then proceeded to Detmold.

On turning finals at Detters in my trusty Scout, ATC came up on the radio and asked “Army 740, have you just flown over Bielefeld?” To which I replied in the affirmative - I thought this a bit strange ta the time but hey-ho I had the small matter of my check-ride on my mind so thought no more of it.

The check went OK and I was given my “Theatre Qualified” status. The CFI however suggested that I return to Münster via the Augustdorf gap which was somewhat to the south of Bielefeld. I took his advice and got back without any hassle. (The hassle was to come)

When I got back into the squadron flight planning room, the flight planning clerk looked at me and pointed to the black-board on which was written in huge letters “DO NOT OVERFLY BEILEFELD TODAY - GENERAL SIR FRANK KING IS HOLDING HIS LEAVING PARADE WHICH IS BEING BROADCAST LIVE ON BFBS”

About then the OC walked in and said “Sgt Beefer, my office now, don’t bother bringing a coffee”. He gave me 10 extras, my Flight Commander wanted to give me 20 but was too late as he was airborne when the OC got to me.

I’ll just add that the SFI whose remit included flying discipline never mentioned it knowing rightly that it would have effected my performance on my check-ride. He was a good man!

mechanicalhorsetrough

On ROPS
On ROPs
Bielefeld hey? I went to visit a buddy in Beilefeld, all I seem to remember is a big NAAFI bar that sold cheap Carlsberg Charlies but the rest of the weekend is a drunken blurrrrrrrrr.

A month later the return visit to Fally was de ja vous !
He didn’t teach you how to spell it though no? Two attempts, two different!

mechanicalhorsetrough

On ROPS
On ROPs
Ah Bielefeld...

Late summer 1978 a newly qualified Sgt Beefer he’s just completed his in-theatre training and is require to fly from Münster to Detmold to be tested by the Senior Flying Instructor BAOR. The weather wasn’t great so I elected to transit through the “Bielefeld Gap” which was a dip in the Teutoburger Walt ridge that mostly remained clear of cloud and this was the case in this instance and I then proceeded to Detmold
I used to do a run from Detmold to Bielefeld along that ridge, it was 21 miles long and called the Hermanslough, anyone else take part and remember the run? Started at a huge statue in the forest

He didn’t teach you how to spell it though no? Two attempts, two different!
Thats just fat thumbs on a tiny ickle cracked cell phone screen and it wasn't a spelling contest.:-(

Latest Threads