Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bid To Outlaw Nazi Symbols throughout EU

lancslad

War Hero
Cutaway said:
Lucky_Jim said:
drain_sniffer said:
I believe the Swastika is some form of religious symbol to some Indian religion

Yes it is, but it's opposite-handed if that makes any sense.

Not entirely, you'll see them facing either way in the FE.

Bingo - pass a CN temple on the bus into work every morning here in Singapore and the swastika's are very visible - one facing in the direction the Nazi party promoted and the other the mirror image.

Elsewhere on the island there's a cracking building on the way to Novena whose entire curtain wall depicts swastikas and I've even see a bus covered from top to bottom in the symbol :biggrin:

My personal fave though has to be the row of bungalows over on the East coast by Eunos (IIRC) where each property has the symbol embedded in the house front for good luck and prosperity (or so I was told by a local indian).

To ban a symbol used for millenia because of 12 yrs of misuse by a people/political party that had no fcuking idea what it actually stood for is getting a little far-fetched IMHO - why not just educate people as to its history and if absolutely necessary put in place the measures to clamp down on those who can be proven to display it in a racist context?

lancslad

OldSnowy said:
I have no truck with fascists, my old man fought against them, and frankly most of them (both past and present) seem to be completely barking, but shortly after - in Greece and later Korea - my Dad was fighting against the commies (and later we waited for years in BAOR to do the same thing). They are surely equally bad, and did some pretty damn evil things (Katyn, Gulags, 'Great Leap Forward', Cultural Revolution, Korean War, etc., etc).

So, I presume that they will ban all symbology deveoted to the far-left cult of communism, that must have been responsible for an equal (or probably greater) number of deaths?

The last time this nonissue was raised, the former Soviet bloc countries said words to the effect of "okay, as long as you ban the hammer and sickle as well, since we were heavily oppressed under it for 40 years".

The response to this was "but but but some of our current political parties use those symbols!"

... and the idea was rapidly dropped due to abject hypocrisy.

Oh yes, and worldwide Communist death toll far exceeds Nazi death toll by a really bloody long way.

Ord_Sgt

RIP
RIP
walk into the library in circular quay just behind the opera house in Sydney and there are swastikas embedded in the entrance ways floor. Better dig them up then...

It's never going to happen - they also want to make holocaust denial a crime across europe - they failed last time and will again.

Ord_Sgt said:
walk into the library in circular quay just behind the opera house in Sydney and there are swastikas embedded in the entrance ways floor. Better dig them up then...

It's never going to happen - they also want to make holocaust denial a crime across europe - they failed last time and will again.

Also have them on the walls of the catholic chapel in Preston you can see them from your car funny how they survived WW2 all down to peoples perceptions

meiktilaman said:
Balderdash_and_Piffle said:
Does that mean I can no longer do my "Adolf Hitler" bit for fancy dress parties?

Prince Harry????????????????????????? here on Arrse

Don't think so but I bet he's on here somewhere....

TheIronDuke said:
The Conquistadors wiped out entire civilisations. Genocide on an industrial scale. The Crusaders werent exectly shy about splashing a bit of Johnny Foreigners claret up the walls.

I DEMAND that the cross be banned from all EU countries.

The Crucifix is BANNED on German school walls,because ONE man decided his children shouldn´t have to look at the effigy of a ´half naked, hanging dead man´ all day!His court costs were covered by a dubious anti-religion group;Bavarian schools have largely ignored this law as it is predominantly R.Catholic,but the law still stands.

The famous German ´Beer Gardens` stayed open untill the early hours,especially in Bavaria where because of the warm winds from Africa( Fön)it was possible to sit in a t-shirt and drink beer untill 2-3 in the morning.ONE women and her neurotic dog put an end to that and all drinking outside the licenced premises is banned after 23.00 hours.The Bavarians,to whom beer,and especially beer gardens, is another of their Religions, fought tooth and nail against the ban but sadly failed.

No wonder the German Government thought It could impose a Nazi Symbol Ban for Europe when in Germany, ONE person can upset millions of people,and cause millions of lost revenue.

And yes,the Hindu community are up in arms as their Swastika means `Peace`,yet again the Germans fired with no thought of returning fire,or consequences.As a payer of German taxes I really wish that they´d sort out this country before trying to tell the rest of Europe what to do!

Giblets

War Hero
Couldn't agree more on the Cross symbol. That cross had been the banner lofted during a large number of battles and wipe-outs.

If Herr Hitler had made Nazism a religion rather than an ideology, he might have been able to wipe out the Jews AND Christians in Europe and people would not have been half as down on him.

Don't get me wrong, Hitler was a baaaad man, but so was Stalin, Saddam, the Ayatolla and various Popes.

If you ask a Russian, 20,000,000 did indeed die in WW2, but another 30,000,000 were killed in various purges from before WW2 and long afterwards.

Postie

Old-Salt
I hate this kind of attack on freedom of speech/expression. :pissedoff: I loathe what Nazism did, but to ban symbols and make the denial of holocaust a crime is dreadful. Perhaps we should also ban the teaching of creationism - since to deny evolution in my opinion is equally f*cking nonsense.

To ban the Swastika is to give in to the 'forces of evil', the swastika should be reclaimed in the same way the St George's flag has been reclaimed or is being reclaimed. As many others have pointed out it means 'peace' in the Hindu religion, and has other uses elswhere in the world.

I also agree with the others that have posted wth regards to the symbology of the Soviet Union - since Stalin's pograms killed far more than the holocaust.

Perhaps we should also ban imagery of Pol Pot; the Romans for the persecution of Christians, so clearly the EU then needs to ban the use of the crucifix?

F*cking do gooders gone mad. Make suitable social reparations to the Jewish, gay and disabled communities to assuage European guilt, but don't just hide all evidence and pretend it never bloody happened. W*nkers.

I sincerely hope our Gov't finds its balls and blocks this policy.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Postie said:

I sincerely hope our Gov't finds its balls and blocks this policy.

:lol: This government... :lol: ... find its balls... :lol: :rofl:

Stop it Postie :rofl: I'll fecking swamp ! :lol: :rofl:

If you want grants for research into whats happening with the weather then climate change denial is already an offence.

Lucky_Jim said:
drain_sniffer said:
I believe the Swastika is some form of religious symbol to some Indian religion

Yes it is, but it's opposite-handed if that makes any sense.

All of Rudyard Kipling's stories were at one time published in leather binding, embossed with - you've guessed it - loads of the pretty little things.

Are they planning to outlaw Kipling 1st editions, then?

Silly Little People.

Nehustan said:
Cuddles said:
EX_STAB said:
So the Germans want to impose their thinking and attitudes across the rest of Europe because of their guilt over the last world war. Is their a word in German for irony?

Ironically it is in fact Ironie!

Does that mean the miltaria seller on Portobello Road won't be able to sell anymore Ironie Crosses?

What did the soldier say when he was awarded with the Ironie cross, 1st class?

"Yeah, Whatever. Who cares?"

I understand the sensitivity in Germany and Austria about these types of things...but this can't be a universally applied litmus test.

Really, if some shaven-headed jagoff wants to stroll down the streets of London in a swastika t-shirt, then why shouldn't he be allowed to do so? He probably wouldn't get too far :D and I like to keep a$$holes where I can see them.

Sneezeclown

Swinger
I've spent many a happy day in Bali, where there are a considerable amount of swastikas about. I once stayed next door to the Swastika Hotel (in Sanur).

Then again, there were also a lot of Germans about - so perhaps the South Pole/Brazil plan didn't work out.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Stonker said:
All of Rudyard Kipling's stories were at one time published in leather binding, embossed with - you've guessed it - loads of the pretty little things.

Are they planning to outlaw Kipling 1st editions, then?

Silly Little People.

Aye, and they're all 'turning' in the same direction as Hr. Schickelgrüber's were too.
They can come and fetch mine if the book burning starts again.

But I bet the cnuts wouldn't understand the irony of that either.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Poxy software double posted.

EX_STAB said:
From Guardian via MOD Oracle
Bid To Outlaw Nazi Symbols

So the Germans want to impose their thinking and attitudes across the rest of Europe because of their guilt over the last world war. Is their a word in German for irony?

I believe that the Germans feel the need to do this every 50 years or so, they are just a bit late this time.