Bid To Outlaw Nazi Symbols throughout EU

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by EX_STAB, Jan 17, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From Guardian via MOD Oracle
    So the Germans want to impose their thinking and attitudes across the rest of Europe because of their guilt over the last world war. Is their a word in German for irony?
  2. Nothing like millions dying for democracy only to have freedoms curtailed half a century later.

Symbols only have power if we believe they mean something, and our personal emotional response should not be subject to or restricted by any country's legislation.
  3. Ironically it is in fact Ironie!
  4. I believe the Swastika is some form of religious symbol to some Indian religion
  5. Yes it is, but it's opposite-handed if that makes any sense.
  6. Don't know, but 'hovercraft' is 'luftkissenfahrzeug' :biggrin:
  7. Even earlier in fact. Prehistoric examples are known throughout Europe and beyond. It sounds like the worlds museums and my Airfix model collection are going to be purged.

[Edited for pisspoor spelling]
  8. Mirror image is Hindu/Buddhist symbol.

Edited to add:
    Just googled it out of interest - apparenly in Taiwan it's used as a symbol for 'temple', in China it appears on food packaging to indicate vegetarian food, and is common in many parts of Asia. :cyclopsani:
  9. I hope they don't come after the swastika embossed silk shirt I picked up whilst working in Calcutta a number of years ago!

I've also stayed in a hotel with a balcony, featuring a huge swastika into the masonary above the door. (Don't mention the war!)
  10. Does that mean we can lock up Vegetarian's? Oh I do hope so.
  11. Does that mean I can no longer do my "Adolf Hitler" bit for fancy dress parties?
  12. It's otherwise known as a fylfot and has been used either way round in scores of cultures for ever. Derives from Sanskrit FFS! More here

The German's ought to have learned by now to mind their own business.
  13. Oh if only the Germans had kept a certain vegetarian locked up!
  14. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Any attempt to irradicate the image will simply strengthen its appeal to the pond life of the far right.

A foolish approach - the Germans need to move on and find something else to brow beat themselves about.
  15. I've attended a few parties as Eva before. Always raises a few eyebrows. Not as much as when I went as Winnie Mandella though, great fun, my mate who went as Nelson kept getting handbagged!