BFT v RRR v PFT v beep test

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by oldcolt, Nov 12, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Having lost the will to live trying to work out the latest acronym for the 1.5 mile plus pre-warm up, I thought I'd pose a question or two for all the PTI's out there:

The last few PFT's/ RRR's I have run have seen to have a much shorter warm up phase than I am used to / train with and my offcial timing suffers as a result - I seem to find the run marginally harder and am about 15 to 20 seconds slower than when I test myself using the '1.5 mile out in 15 mins plus best effort back'.

a) Is this a deliberate policy for runs now and if so, what is the thinking behind it and

b) Which do you feel gives a more accurate idea of aerobic fitness; the old BFT (1.5 miles out plus 1.5 miles best effort), the new version/s (whatever it is called this week :roll: ) or the bleep test.

2. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

The warm up is 800m squadded, followed by the 2.4km individual best effort. Why? Don't know. Care? Not really - it is how it is run now, and whether you find it harder or easier is, frankly, irrelevant. The standards are fixed for all.

Personally, I think it is a useless measure of fitness and totally inappropriate for the armed forces, where TABBING should be the primary measure of fitness. Of course, this may have something to do with the fact that I am a big lump and hate running, but can still TAB out a P Coy pace 10 miler with no real problems.
  3. Agreed, I'm not getting excited about it; I'm just curious.

LOL, I'm no speed freak and, as we discussed on a previous thread, I don't regard speed as a measure of 'fitness', however one defines that. Certainly, from an infantry point of view, tabbing/ CFT is a far more accurate gauge of 'fit for role' IMO and, like you, I can seem to go for miles with a weight on my back. BTW, what is the P Coy pace? I have the info somewhere and am currently cracking out the RM pace with no real problems (apart from a recurring knee injury/ niggle I've had for years). Again, just curious/ want to vary my routine/ set myself new challenges :)
  4. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

10 miles in 1 hr 45 mins with 38lb plus wpn
  5. That's Saturday morning with me and the dogs sorted then! Thanks 8)
  6. Long Valley after a decent rainstorm plus 4 mentally traumatised Falkland's veteran DS plus kidney punches plus the ever present threat of a broad Scouse accented lisp screaming 'You're fcuking thkiving you cunths'
  7. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Arrrghhhh! The memories! :D
  8. The Depot Exorcet was his nickname when I went through. He never looked like one of the gym queens but feck me he could cover the ground a bit rapid.
  9. surely that's Long Valley after four Stalwarts have performed their mating rituals after a decent rainstorm etc? Going: soft to corrugated...