BFPO to be done away with?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Back_at_RD, Sep 10, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I don't know how true this is, but I've just received an e petition link to the number 10 site asking me to sign up in protest at government plans to get rid of BFPO. The explanatory email is a little light on detail and this is the first I've ever heard of it.

Can anyone cast a little more light on the situation/quash the rumours?

2. There was a thread last week about BFPO facilities being removed for those personnel who work at NATO HQs or something

3. Correct. The plan is to cut completely 12 or 13 ish BFPOs that support NATO HQs and thus any other entities that come under their wing in that country. I for one am due to lose this facility. Slightly miffed as this is a project to save some money. I believe that the BFPO Hierarchy don't want to do it but have no choice. The BFPOs are: 6 -Lisbon 8 -Naples 26 – SHAPE 28 – Brunssum 49 – Brussels 50 – Stavanger
    61 – Milan 62 – Valencia 63 - Norfolk VA 65 – Rome 109 – Ramstein 150 – Karup
    More annoying is that no plan has been pushed out as to our work arounds (No parcels received through national chain in 1 year of being here) and that they will probably spend the money on couriering all those important things that BFPO normally deals with.

Rant over but this doesn't really mesh with the concept of a "Covenant"

4. Signed.

5. I don't think an E-petition will stand in the way of an opportunity to save money.

6. Probably not. But it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling to know that at least I have tried to do something about it, rather than just moaning and doing fuck all.

7. If I had any evidence whatsoever of these E-petitions achieving more than 'warm fuzzy feelings' I would probably sign it myself.

8. Where's the harm in having a punt?

9. ancienturion

ancienturion LE Book Reviewer

Signed for what good it will do with this bunch.

10. signed, but I am still waiting for the petition for the PM to resign to work!

11. And what if it did work, and he did resign. He'd only be succeeded by some other money grabbing selfish tw@.

12. NETMA in Munich on the list too.

edited to say signed and link distributed

13. Ops - read the In Cell entry. Let's get real, in some of the places you are listing there are hardly any people and there are good reasons NOT to put a SNCO there full time (although they are attractive). There are 7 mil in Valencia, one is the postie ! Same sort of numbers with lots of other the other places, hard choices in hard times. It will not affect Brunssum or SHAPE or Naples (where there are numbers) but the others could use the local service (which is probably better) and use the postie where he is needed by his Corps. The LOA would lift to compensate for additional charges. A no brainer.