BFPO Special Delivery..

Looking on RM/BFPO webbys it says this is only available to and from BFPO addresses, is this correct? (sometimes RM don't know their arse from their elbow) :( I want to send someone a camera for christmas and don't fancy just bunging it in the post..

Anyone done it before from just a post office?

This has already been posted HERE and will, hopefully answer your question:
rockape34] [url=http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/print?catId=58800706&mediaId=58800704#34700259]HERE[/url] on the Royal Mail Website - hope it helps :) [quote="Royal Mail said:
Free mail to UK Forces in Iraq and Afghanistan FAQs
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Who can send free items? Who can I send free items to? Why is the free service not available to commercial firms and support groups? Why is the free service restricted to named individuals? How can I access the free service? What type of mail item can I send free? Are there goods or items that can’t be sent? Is there anything I will be charged for? How many items can I send for free? Why is the service limited to only certain BFPO addresses? Who can send free items?

The service is available for the friends and family of service personnel or entitled Ministry of Defence deployed civilians serving in the Iraq and Afghanistan regions. Items from commercial firms and support groups will not be accepted.

Who can I send free items to?
Free items will only be accepted if addressed to named personnel or titled roles at specific BFPO addresses present in, or directly supporting, the operations in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Why is the free service not available to commercial firms and support groups?
The scheme is specifically designed to provide support to the families and friends of servicemen and women in these theatres and is not a replacement for existing BFPO services.

Why is the free service restricted to named individuals?
While Royal Mail recognises the desire of individuals to support troops in Afghanistan and Iraq, the scheme is specifically intended to support the families and friends of servicemen and women. Well wishers remain able to send items to these theatres via the normal BFPO services including use of the E-bluey and BFPO’s bulletin board.

How can I access the free service?
You can access the free service at Post Office™ counters only. At the Post Office™, a special label will be applied to the mail item to indicate that postage is not required. Items posted in pillar boxes may not be identified as part of the scheme, and may therefore be delayed.

What type of mail item can I send free?
You can send letters or packets by first class post, up to 2kg in weight, and with the following maximum dimensions:

Length + Depth + Width = 900mm with greatest single dimension not greater than 600mm.

Are there goods or items that can’t be sent?
Customers are urged to refer to and meet the standard BFPO guidelines on prohibited and restricted contents. Specific notice should be made of the prohibition on aerosols, and also of the practical limitations of perishable items which should be avoided. For more information see the full BFPO guidelines.

Is there anything I will be charged for?
You won’t be charged for sending an item via normal first class post, but you will be charged if you want to send items via the BFPO Special Delivery service.

How many items can I send for free?
While there is no specific limit on the number of items that can be posted by an individual, families and friends are asked to remember that logistical capacity to these units is limited.

Why is the service limited to only certain BFPO addresses?
The list of eligible BFPO addresses has been agreed with Ministry of Defence as those that are present in, or directly supporting operations in Afghanistan and Iraq.

© Royal Mail Group Ltd 2007. All rights reserved.
[/quote]

I'm not talking about Forces Free.

And the RM/Post Office site appears to contradict itself saying that Special Delivery is only from-to-to-from BPFO and then later on talks about putting stuff in envelopes at post offices

But thanks for the try anyway.

Apologies - I see what you mean - it is ambiguous - however THIS would seem to suggest that one can post items items from a civilian address in the UK

Q. Can Special Delivery and Recorded Delivery services be used when sending mail to an Op Telic & Op Herrick address?

Yes, both these services can be used and are charged at the relevant Special Delivery/Recorded Delivery Royal Mail UK rate. Maximum weight 2 kgs. Please use the Special Delivery pre-paid plastic envelope for jewellery and/or money. Please see your local Post Office or Forces Post Office for further details.

Please note that Royal Mail guaranteed next day delivery is not available to BFPO addresses.
I think you are referring to THIS
If you're sending something valuable to loved ones in the Forces overseas, you want to know it's going to get there safely. That's when HM Forces Special Delivery can help. This service provides a signature on delivery and compensation for loss of or damage to valuables (including money and jewellery as defined by Royal Mail which may only be sent by Special Delivery). It is only available to and from BFPO numbered addresses. Advice of Delivery is not available.
This would suggest to me that one can send Forces Special Delivery mail from a UK civilian address to a BFPO address, from a BFPO address to a civilian address or from a BFPO address to a BFPO address

and HERE
HM Forces Mail lets you reach members of the Forces serving in any location using their British Forces Post Office (BFPO) address.

Send all post to all HM Forces destinations
Items can weigh up to 2kg
No need for an Airmail sticker
Pre-paid Forces Airletters (Blueys) are available
From just 34p. See full price list (click)

All HM Forces Mail can be redirected from a UK private address or UK service married quarters to any BFPO address or a HM Forces address without a BFPO address. The Ministry of Defence may occasionally extend this service to other BFPO addresses.
When I was still serving all registered/recorded delivery items were signed for by the Postal NCO, who would then sign them to addressees.

... perchance this is a Wah! ?

It is bloody ambiguous and I can see the fun I'm going to have when I go to the post office and try to explain.. I have enough issues trying to send just a free letter!

Mongoose said:
It is bloody ambiguous and I can see the fun I'm going to have when I go to the post office and try to explain.. I have enough issues trying to send just a free letter!
I was once sent £100 through the post at christmas to a BFPO address with special delivery next day delivery which cost around a fiver. It was supposed to be signed for but after a few days it never arrived and with no trace. RM blamed Forces post office and vice versa and they took immediate action to trace it. After nearly five months of investigations I got my £100 back but with no interest, or compensation and they didnt pay me for countless phone calls back from Germany or for the original postage I had paid extra for.

They told me that they are aware that christmas is a busy time for theft within the postal system and the clever ones are good at covering up.

Good & bad experiences:

Best: Got a families call from a buddy, go to his house sharpish, find a PRR then Royal Mail to him at BFPO Shaibah by name. I decided not to insure it, so no extra stickers and stuff on the package, paid cash at local newsagent/post office. Arrived four-five days later safe and sound.

Worst: you imagine it, it's happened.

Now, Fedex is very reliable indeed, from cameras to cannons Just ask for a price, and their courier collects from you.

I've received all sorts of items, from cameras to laptops, in theatre (Iraq & 'Stan numbered BFPO's). They were all sent by royal mail special delivery at the local post office. Never had a problem!

Can a postie please explain why people in Gutersloh are getting turned away when trying to post a Wii back to the UK?

Is it customs? Is it cos they are afraid of profiteering? Or is it cos somebody is on the jam week and wants the rest of the world to be as fu.ckin miserable as they are/

I have also used special delivery to BFPO addresses from a UK civil post office without problem. However, it is true that at Xmas the number of short term contract staff goes up and so does the number of thefts.

The envelope to which the special delivery blurb is referring is plastic with a tamper proof seal. If you take your package in you should be able to buy the correct size of envelope to fit the camera. Check the levels of compensation against the value of the camera, the basic should be enough but it will depend on how swanky the camera is.

If the envelopes are not big enough you can just wrap as normal and then attach the appropriate sticky labels; these are less secure than the tamperproof envelopes.

RM will deliver to BFPO by the next day, but thereafter it will depend on the next despatch to Theatre and of course once in Theatre the SH avail to move mail to some of the more distant locations.

BFPO staff should sign for the item from RM and then at the BFPO when it is put in the Priority Services locker and then only sign the item over to a UPO who has the correct paperwork.

Clearly it is not foolproof but is pretty secure.

Heedthebaw said:
Can a postie please explain why people in Gutersloh are getting turned away when trying to post a Wii back to the UK?

Is it customs? Is it cos they are afraid of profiteering? Or is it cos somebody is on the jam week and wants the rest of the world to be as fu.ckin miserable as they are/
It's not their business what you post back unless it is a prohibited item. I can only assume they're jealous miserable f*cks who wish they'd thought of it before Wii's became as scarce as they currently are.

Postie said:
I have also used special delivery to BFPO addresses from a UK civil post office without problem. However, it is true that at Xmas the number of short term contract staff goes up and so does the number of thefts.

The envelope to which the special delivery blurb is referring is plastic with a tamper proof seal. If you take your package in you should be able to buy the correct size of envelope to fit the camera. Check the levels of compensation against the value of the camera, the basic should be enough but it will depend on how swanky the camera is.

If the envelopes are not big enough you can just wrap as normal and then attach the appropriate sticky labels; these are less secure than the tamperproof envelopes.

RM will deliver to BFPO by the next day, but thereafter it will depend on the next despatch to Theatre and of course once in Theatre the SH avail to move mail to some of the more distant locations.

BFPO staff should sign for the item from RM and then at the BFPO when it is put in the Priority Services locker and then only sign the item over to a UPO who has the correct paperwork.

Clearly it is not foolproof but is pretty secure.
Woowoo, thanks. I'll give it a try (I was considering just a photo of the camera saying you can have this when you get back).. suppose it is insured if it all goes tits up