BFPO post question

Hi everyone,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this query? Today I posted a small package under 2kg to my boyfriend in the RAF based in Falklands. He gave me his full address including BFPO number and it had "Falkland Islands" at the bottom after the BFPO number. I'm now having a panic after reading online that you're not supposed to put the country at the bottom of the address, and finish it with just the BFPO number. Is this likely to mean there'll be a long delay in him receiving it? I'm aware it's supposed to take over a week anyway, but now worried it'll take several weeks or longer if sent via country and not BFPO. The post office guy seemed to think it was done correctly and would be sent via the BFPO. I know I may be being a worry gut, but thought I'd see if anyone here knows the answer?

Hi everyone,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this query? Today I posted a small package under 2kg to my boyfriend in the RAF based in Falklands. He gave me his full address including BFPO number and it had "Falkland Islands" at the bottom after the BFPO number. I'm now having a panic after reading online that you're not supposed to put the country at the bottom of the address, and finish it with just the BFPO number. Is this likely to mean there'll be a long delay in him receiving it? I'm aware it's supposed to take over a week anyway, but now worried it'll take several weeks or longer if sent via country and not BFPO. The post office guy seemed to think it was done correctly and would be sent via the BFPO. I know I may be being a worry gut, but thought I'd see if anyone here knows the answer?
Im not sure how the civvie mail gets to the Falklands, the reason you shouldn't write the country on parcel on it is because it could go into the civvie system rather than the military system, in the case of the Falkland Islands it probably wont make much difference. If it does go by civvie post they will know that its to go to the military when it arrives on the island.

Thank you for your reply, but might take longer presumably if sent by civilian post? The post office guy knew it was BFPO surely having a BFPO number on there would make it obvious it's supposed to go in military post though?

Thank you for your reply, but might take longer presumably if sent by civilian post? The post office guy knew it was BFPO surely having a BFPO number on there would make it obvious it's supposed to go in military post though?
The post office guy wont be there all the way through the delivery. In Afghanistan we have several parcels/letters go through the civvie system because people wrote the country on them, not only did it take longer they got wrapped in plastic as rats might have pissed on them in Kabul.
Like I said I dont know how the post gets to the Falklands, if it all goes by military flight (civvie or military) then it wont make much difference as even if it does go to the civvie post office in the Falklands they will know what to do with it. If civvie post goes by boat and the parcel goes into a civvie bag then it might take a lot longer.

Thanks for your help, appreciate the quick replies. I read a random article saying that royal mail sends post to Antarctica research bases first via plane to Falklands, then onwards by boat. So I guess that answers that question. Hopefully should be ok then!

Don't worry, it'll get there in exactly the same length of time.

You shouldn't put a country name on a BFPO address as it's supposedly a breach of security :roll: and also could well end up costing you a lot more in stamps as you may get charged the civvy postal rate.

Many years ago, I was working on Ascension Island and gave my civvy address to my TA unit. They sent routine letters (and some important ones) to me ohne BFPO number but foolishly used my rank. The letters reached AI where the rank attracted the attention of the military posties who forwarded them to the Mess. The Mess Manager, not recognising the name, returned them to sender. My unit sent them back out again with the same result. They then sent them to my home address. Fortunately my missus bunged them in a single big envelope with my private mail - otherwise they'd still be doing the rounds until I returned to AI on military business several years later. The upshot was that I got the letters just before I came home - some had started their journey three months earlier.

The irony is, of course, that because of security protocols, my unit wouldn't have addressed letters to my home with my rank - yet persisted in using brown envelopes marked OHMS with big military address labels.

It all comes on the same flight. The BFPO line will ensure that it gets sorted on camp. The issue at the moment is flights being cancelled with the post being binned for two flights. It's generally pretty good though.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

It all comes on the same flight. The BFPO line will ensure that it gets sorted on camp. The issue at the moment is flights being cancelled with the post being binned for two flights. It's generally pretty good though.

Kerist! Haven't the government cut BFPO to save money?

I'll write my MP about it this very day.

Last edited:
Kerist! Haven't the government cut BPO to save money?

I'll write my MP about it this very day.

It has massively cut it, in some NATO postings you have to use the local post.

It has massively cut it, in some NATO postings you have to use the local post.
But isn't it so much more convenient to have the yellow Bundespost van deliver parcels to your MQ than have to collect them from the barracks.

But isn't it so much more convenient to have the yellow Bundespost van deliver parcels to your MQ than have to collect them from the barracks.
Bundespost? That's at least 20 years ago. Now it's any one of about 6 or so operators including well known international concerns.
As for FI, 25 years ago we used to wait with baited breath for the cargo list of the incoming jets from Brize. I seem to recall at times there were around 6 tons of Blueys, and a much smaller amount for parcels.

Bundespost? That's at least 20 years ago. Now it's any one of about 6 or so operators including well known international concerns.
As for FI, 25 years ago we used to wait with baited breath for the cargo list of the incoming jets from Brize. I seem to recall at times there were around 6 tons of Blueys, and a much smaller amount for parcels.
35yrs ago we used to wait with baited breath when any jet flew over,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Appreciate all the replies, all good to know. Unfortunately turns out his mother sent something to the same address towards end of June and it still hasn't got to him. Is over 2 weeks normal or is this a bad sign?

Thought all mail went on flights? Mine was around 300g large letter. Hers was just the size of a regular book
Should have come on the flight then. I say should but you never know. Anyway, if there's a cancellation, and there have been more since April than in the last two years, post gets chinned in favour of freight, people and fresh.

Mail and parcels will go by air, heavy freight and dangerous cargo by sea - so make sure you don't send prohibited items. Not only is it dangerous but by the time it arrives, the recipient will probably have finished his tour.

Remember, it's winter out there and the weather changes quickly. The flight might get close to MPA only to find that it can't land because of high winds or a blizzard. It may hang around for half an hour or so then divert back to Ascension. The crew will then have to rest for a day or two (especially if there's a party worth attending - I kid you not!) before they can try again.

There's also a risk of bird strike - it could take a week to get a new windscreen sent out - or some other minor fault that needs parts that aren't available off the shelf.

Or a medical emergency on Ascension that results in the flight being sent back home, dropping the passengers for an unexpected 5 day bask in the sun. When the flight comes back, it will have the next lot of passengers aboard so may have to drop off the mail to be able to get the first lot of passengers on.

Mail can take as little as 2 days but it can also take weeks though much more than a week is rare.

Mail and parcels will go by air, heavy freight and dangerous cargo by sea - so make sure you don't send prohibited items. Not only is it dangerous but by the time it arrives, the recipient will probably have finished his tour.

Remember, it's winter out there and the weather changes quickly. The flight might get close to MPA only to find that it can't land because of high winds or a blizzard. It may hang around for half an hour or so then divert back to Ascension. The crew will then have to rest for a day or two (especially if there's a party worth attending - I kid you not!) before they can try again.

There's also a risk of bird strike - it could take a week to get a new windscreen sent out - or some other minor fault that needs parts that aren't available off the shelf.

Or a medical emergency on Ascension that results in the flight being sent back home, dropping the passengers for an unexpected 5 day bask in the sun. When the flight comes back, it will have the next lot of passengers aboard so may have to drop off the mail to be able to get the first lot of passengers on.

Mail can take as little as 2 days but it can also take weeks though much more than a week is rare.
The flight doesn't go via Ascension Island. It is rarely diverted as weather based decisions are made before leaving Brize. Parcels over 3 kg normally come by sea. However I've had a 5 kg parcel by air and 2 x 1 kg parcels by sea before.