BFG

??? ??? ???
Hi guys and girls got a query and would like some feed back if at all possible.

Do you need continental headlights on a new car for its bfg or can you use filters or spacers.
And is there anyone in gut that has a pair of conti's for a new peugeot 206 that they are willing to lend so i can put the car through its bfg.

Cheers in advance. 8) 8)

If your car is new, it does not require a BFG, however it does require a lighting check to be carried out within one month of registration.  To pass this lighting check youmust have continental headlights fitted.

Put an advert in the Sixth Sense for some as there is usually someone out there who wil help

cheers guys.
Sorry for being a bit thick, So i take it you just go to the  BFG office, they then do a light check and issue you a tax disk and bfg plates... Oh yeh and i take it that you have to take a valid insurance certificate for the tax.
Yeh i bought the car new in germany but like a knob never bought conti lights.. :-X

And is there anyone in gut that has a pair of conti's for a new peugeot 206 that they are willing to lend so i can put the car through its bfg.

Cheers in advance. 8) 8)
Word of warning, do not BORROW lights just to get your car through the BFG. If you are caught, you could lose that promotion. You've shouted about the car you drive and where you are, so I'd pipe down a bit if I were you.

Friendly word of warning, that's all.

Its alright nothing dodgy about it, car is going to uk for a couple of months and i dont want to fork out on conti lights until i get back,or if there is a second hand set.
Thanks for the word of warning though. ;D

Oh yes mate.  A good piece of friendly advice for sure. If you wear a light blue hat and even hint at being dodgy towards BFG they will disappear up your rear end with a very long torch looking to nab you.our name aint the best with the guys at BFG! :eek:

As said previously Advertise in sixth sense. Sometimes BFG inspectors can get hold of them or I used to get some from the scrap yard when i was in Traz.

On another note my lad will be going to Middle Wallop soon after he finishes AFC in August (Ground crewman). Just wondering where the best postings are and if there are any in Germany for first postings. If problems with not wanting to give out info on the site I can Pm you with my Mil tel number if you can advise cheers

A word to the wise:

Have a careful look in your car handbook as a lot of new cars that are fitted with the circular looking halogen lights have a switch inside the headlamp that enables you to change from UK to Continental.

jus come from 1 div nd bfg r banning those headlights where u can switch between uk nd continental. must have german road lights to pass bfg test which has to be carried out within 30 days of initial registration. pain in the arse or wot. got some continental seat ibiza headlights if anyone wants them.

How can they ban them? My car has them as standard, they are the only lights produced and if you buy the car in Germany they are switched for continental and if in UK they are switched in reverse. That sounds like a load of horlicks to me!

Muttley said:
How can they ban them? My car has them as standard, they are the only lights produced and if you buy the car in Germany they are switched for continental and if in UK they are switched in reverse. That sounds like a load of horlicks to me!
New German legislation (from about March next year IICR) states that the headlight has to have a positive angled beam to the right.

Switch over headlights have a flat beam and do not match the new legislation, so unfortunately it is not horlicks.

Certainly the last car I collected from the UK came complete with the English headlights boxed and in the boot. Previously the dealer had just flicked the switch.

has anyone any idea where i can get a set of continental headlights for a t reg landrover freelander?
I have a set for a 51 reg. If they are the right fit, you can 'have' them. All they are doing is sitting boxed in the garage as we don't have the freelander any more.

CAARPS, wont that legislation only apply to cars produced after that date?
Seems strange that in my BMW handbook (Xenon) it says the lights can be changed depending on whether you are in UK or M.Europe. If that is the case, what you are saying is that the lights are producing flats beams either way they are switched, (so what is being switched?) and therefore every car will have to have its light units changed!

The switch angles the lights left or right as selected!

Did your new car have Xenons? I suspect not if you were given the extra headlights.

The biggest pain I found with UK spec cars was when the type only had the single rear fog light.

SilsoeSid said:
has anyone any idea where i can get a set of continental headlights for a t reg landrover freelander?
I have a set for a 51 reg. If they are the right fit, you can 'have' them. All they are doing is sitting boxed in the garage as we don't have the freelander any more.

CAARPS, wont that legislation only apply to cars produced after that date?
Seems strange that in my BMW handbook (Xenon) it says the lights can be changed depending on whether you are in UK or M.Europe. If that is the case, what you are saying is that the lights are producing flats beams either way they are switched, (so what is being switched?) and therefore every car will have to have its light units changed!

The switch angles the lights left or right as selected!

Did your new car have Xenons? I suspect not if you were given the extra headlights.

The biggest pain I found with UK spec cars was when the type only had the single rear fog light.
Now the really boring bit

What If I Have A BFG Registered Car Already And Intend On Keeping It
Past 01 March 2008 When The New Policy Comes Into Affect?

If your vehicle is currently BFG registered and fitted with UK headlights with a
mechanical beam converter (for example most Xenon headlights) that only
creates a flat beam, then you will be required to change your lights to
European lights before the next required light test or the vehicle will fail the
test.

What is the Change in Policy That Will Come into Effect from 01 March
2008?

All headlights must conform to the European standard and have the right ‘flick
up’ that is standard with European headlights in order to conform fully with
European legislation. The ability to convert a UK headlight beam by use of a
mechanical masking device or other device from a left flick up to a flat beam
will no longer be acceptable from 01 March 2008 and will fail a BFG light
check. Headlights that have the ability to change from left to right flick (full
converters) will remain acceptable for the light check. The following pictures
show how each headlight type illuminates the road ahead of a vehicle:

And for the full document if you really want to stick pins in your eyes

http://www.bfgnet.de/index.html

Some headlights do fully convert, my current car is my 3rd BMW (living the dream in BFG). The last 2 cars had standard xenon BMW headlights. My current car was delivered with 2 large boxes in the boot containing UK headlights

Hello mate

just read your post. Do you still have your LR continental headlights if so do you want to sell them?

I'm posted to Bruggen in august and need a set for my 51 plate.

Cheers