• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

bfg process

Will be posted germany in month or so. I have a car and bike. Need to get an idea of what sort of admin process I need to do to get on the bfg system. I'm guessing I just drive the car over and register when I arrive at unit. I'll have to sort some headlights out for it. Its got a month old mot so will it need an inspection in germany? And do I need to do any paperwork with UK authorities before I go.

The bike on the other hand is SORN'ed and MOT has expired. Its perfectly roadworthy but can't be bothered getting an MOT if its not worth the paper its written on. I might be towing the bike if I can find one of those bike towing attachments cheaply

make sure you have the certificates of conformity for them
winter tyres for the car
rear fog on the right or a twin fit
first aid kit, triangle, reflective vests
v5's or export certificates

What he said!!! BUT do not get LHD lights in the UK, cos they will cost you a fuckin arm and leg, wait till you get here. If the car has just passed it's MOT then there should be no problems. The paperwork is a proper pain in the **** though!!

what about the bike then. Does it need tax and mot prior? I don't mind being naughty between here and the ferry/chunnel. yeah will just get some headlights off ebay germany

The BFG system is a ball ache, for both car and bike they will have to be inspected by the BFGTest centre which is pretty much the MOT, you will have to fill in the MOD form 80 to receive a MOD form 40 and then register it with your local BFG office, who will then issue you new plates for both to conform with BFG. This will deregister your car from the UK net in DVLA. you will have to ensure you have continental headlights and the fog light is on the right before you have the vehicle tested.

The test is free so you don,t have to worry there but they are known to be quite ****.

Oh and don,t try and argue at both offices as you will get fucked right off.....

It doesnt matter if the vehicle(s) have MOT, because they need to get BFG inspected when they come over (over 3 yrs old)
You will have to fill in a Form 60, to get a Form 80 from C&I, (your exportation of the vehicle), be aware of BFG insurance, double what it is in the UK.
How you get the vehicles over to Ger is up to you, (don't get caught)
You have 45 days now? iirc, changed from 30days, to get your vehicle(s) Form 60'd, Form 80'd, Insured, BFG Tested (with Lights Test).

So once you get over, don't hang around with getting lights, paperwork sorted. After that, it's cool.

The BFG system is a ball ache, for both car and bike they will have to be inspected by the BFGTest centre which is pretty much the MOT, you will have to fill in the MOD form 80 to receive a MOD form 40 and then register it with your local BFG office, who will then issue you new plates for both to conform with BFG. This will deregister your car from the UK net in DVLA. you will have to ensure you have continental headlights and the fog light is on the right before you have the vehicle tested.

The test is free so you don,t have to worry there but they are known to be quite ****.

Oh and don,t try and argue at both offices as you will get fucked right off.....
Fog light needs to be on the left (I guess you mean)!

Fog light needs to be on the left (I guess you mean)!
Can you still just disconnect the fog light?

Had to do that when I took my LHD back to the UK and had to get it MOT'd and it only has the fog light on the left, no way of moving it so I just disconnected it and that was it.

Can you still just disconnect the fog light?

Had to do that when I took my LHD back to the UK and had to get it MOT'd and it only has the fog light on the left, no way of moving it so I just disconnected it and that was it.
Nope. You have to either buy continental rear lights or get a ancillary fog light attached under your bumper. A big pain in the ass.

Nope. You have to either buy continental rear lights or get a ancillary fog light attached under your bumper. A big pain in the ass.
Its a bit of a banger so probably just do the ancillery one. Or do you have to have reversing light? Cos I could just replace the left with a conti one and have foglight on both sides.

Ok so to clarify I need:
Pair of euro headlamps
1 Rear fog light on the left
1 Front fog light on the left (or is 1 on each side)
At least 1 reverse light (not reqd in UK)
And I'm told winter tyres in winter conditions - so are summer tyres ok as long as you don't bring it in for a test when the weather is extra shitty

The BFG system is meant to have been updated and apparently it is a lot quicker, so it should not be a problem.
RUBBISH: You need to produce all your documents for the car and bike, have winter and summer tires for the car(ok that bit is German law, don´t get on the wrong side of the law), then you need to produce out of thin air a letter of conformity, mine came with my car and still those buggers said it was not valid. Then you need to find a German insurer because the British insurers only cover you for about a month when you are over here. Then you need to go to you MT office and do a f*+#ing pointless matrix test that the German police have never seen or heard of, I produced it twice in different locations in Germany when stopped by the police and they just said: "Was ist das hier?" laughed and gave it back shaking their heads, but when you are asked by your line manager to produce said article and it is not in your immediate possession you get your nuts chewed and your head stamped on. Get yourself a German road rules and law book, and study it, that is a lot more useful for driving in the country. Then you go once again to the BFG office just for them to find some other stupid little thing on which to tell you your docs are non valid, forcing you again to run around like a troll on speed to get it sorted, then you take your car to the MoT side of the BFG just for those tossers to tell you that your car is a safety hazard to the world and every other person on this planet, even though MoT UK and TüV Germany have said it is fine. Then you either spend several nights at work fixing the car or a fortune for the nearest garage to do it. After all that and finely getting the thumbs up that all is good to go you then spend another month and a half waiting for your paperwork and plates to come back or to be produced. While all this is going on your line manager wants to know why you are never in work, why your tasks are standing still and when are you going to to these other jobs that are waiting in the wings. Then your stuff comes back, but it matters not because you are now on exercise Med Thunder in the arse end of the world. You get back and have mabey three moths left on your BFG, but you cannot renew it until there are only thirty days left on it but when the time comes you are once again on exercise Lizard Foot, your documents run out while you are being a soldier and then you get back just to start all over again. In my opinion the BFG is a useless instetution and they need to rethink it or bin it. Soldiers don´t always have time to be pushed around like that, we have other more pressing tasks to get on with and things to do. Yes stay flexible and be ready to react at a moments notice, but the BFG system just adds unnecessary stress on top of it all.

The BFG system is meant to have been updated and apparently it is a lot quicker, so it should not be a problem.
RUBBISH: You need to produce all your documents for the car and bike, have winter and summer tires for the car(ok that bit is German law, don´t get on the wrong side of the law), then you need to produce out of thin air a letter of conformity, mine came with my car and still those buggers said it was not valid. Then you need to find a German insurer because the British insurers only cover you for about a month when you are over here. Then you need to go to you MT office and do a f*+#ing pointless matrix test that the German police have never seen or heard of, I produced it twice in different locations in Germany when stopped by the police and they just said: "Was ist das hier?" laughed and gave it back shaking their heads, but when you are asked by your line manager to produce said article and it is not in your immediate possession you get your nuts chewed and your head stamped on. Get yourself a German road rules and law book, and study it, that is a lot more useful for driving in the country. Then you go once again to the BFG office just for them to find some other stupid little thing on which to tell you your docs are non valid, forcing you again to run around like a troll on speed to get it sorted, then you take your car to the MoT side of the BFG just for those tossers to tell you that your car is a safety hazard to the world and every other person on this planet, even though MoT UK and TüV Germany have said it is fine. Then you either spend several nights at work fixing the car or a fortune for the nearest garage to do it. After all that and finely getting the thumbs up that all is good to go you then spend another month and a half waiting for your paperwork and plates to come back or to be produced. While all this is going on your line manager wants to know why you are never in work, why your tasks are standing still and when are you going to to these other jobs that are waiting in the wings. Then your stuff comes back, but it matters not because you are now on exercise Med Thunder in the arse end of the world. You get back and have mabey three moths left on your BFG, but you cannot renew it until there are only thirty days left on it but when the time comes you are once again on exercise Lizard Foot, your documents run out while you are being a soldier and then you get back just to start all over again. In my opinion the BFG is a useless instetution and they need to rethink it or bin it. Soldiers don´t always have time to be pushed around like that, we have other more pressing tasks to get on with and things to do. Yes stay flexible and be ready to react at a moments notice, but the BFG system just adds unnecessary stress on top of it all.
You new here?

Latest Threads