• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

BFG Driving

My car is BFG'd, but I'd like to put my mother-in-law on the insurance as she doesn't need to own a car for the weekly shop. What I'd like to know is; who can legally drive my car and what do they need to do to do so?

Before we start, she's German, so the Matrix test should be ruled out and I don't want to go down the route of whether she would be entitled to fuel coupons or so, as that is not the question.

Thank you

Speak to your BFG office. There is a mechanism in place for non-BFG pax to drive BFG cars, but it is aimed at visitors from UK, ie only for a few weeks.

You (I assuem) want this to be a bit more than that. Doesn't matter if she is German or not, if the BFG rules state 'do the Matrix test' guess what Frau Boxhead will be doing. And as it is YOUR car, then you should still be entitled to coupons, which I would assume she can use but not buy.

Not only can you not put her on the insurance, but she can never drive it except in an emergency. BFG SOs are very very clear about that. She has to have a BFG licence, to which she is clearly not entitled, or (as mentioned earlier) be a short-term visitor from the UK.

As a civvy may I just say BFG Big Friendly Giant, WTF are you smoking?

(Yes I do know what BFG stands for, despite what SWMBO says, I'm not a complete fuckwit)

you might wanna check if it's cheaper to insure and tax your car on the german system, when we lived in germany ( moi is a kraut) it was cheaper for us to do it that way........with the german insurance being much much cheaper then the british one we didn't fel the need for coupons and being taxfree, made us about even.....but you M-I-L will be able to drive your car

I would go with what padme said and look at the German system, binning the BFG. This would make it easier for you, as it is the car that is insured and not the driver. In other words, she would be able to drive it without any hassle...although, I would hesitate at saying that it would be cheaper!

T

trowel

you might wanna check if it's cheaper to insure and tax your car on the german system, when we lived in germany ( moi is a kraut) it was cheaper for us to do it that way........with the german insurance being much much cheaper then the british one we didn't fel the need for coupons and being taxfree, made us about even.....but you M-I-L will be able to drive your car
Who is "Moi" and does he mind you calling him a kraut?

I would go with what padme said and look at the German system, binning the BFG. This would make it easier for you, as it is the car that is insured and not the driver. In other words, she would be able to drive it without any hassle...although, I would hesitate at saying that it would be cheaper!
If you are a member of BFG, have not been banned from BFG facilities and the vehicle is not for a private business, then you have to register it on the BFG system within 56 days of arriving in theatre. It is not as simple as just registering it on the German net. I assume you do not have an Ausweis or German driving licence, which you would need, so maybe you need to sell or transfer the title for the vehicle to someone else; your wife or MIL maybe.

I suppose you could just ask at the BFG office or ring the hotline for advice.

Edited to note that 56 days has been reduced to 30.

If you are a member of BFG, have not been banned from BFG facilities and the vehicle is not for a private business, then you have to register it on the BFG system within 56 days of arriving in theatre. It is not as simple as just registering it on the German net. I assume you do not have an Ausweis or German driving licence, which you would need, so maybe you need to sell or transfer the title for the vehicle to someone else; your wife or MIL maybe.

Why would he do that when he has the wealth of knowledge and experience of the net to aid him?

As I am not German, it a forgone conclusion that I do not have , nor can I get a Perso. As for the driving license, yes I do. However it is not required, as the UK one is valid here.

i was the main driver of the car , car was bought in germany , not tax free and i have a german drivinglicense , as long as husband has a european drivinglicense there should not be a problem

i was the main driver of the car , car was bought in germany , not tax free and i have a german drivinglicense , as long as husband has a european drivinglicense there should not be a problem
Reasonable answer...try it then! You may get the paperwork done and even succeed in dodging the system, but that is exactly what you will be doing.

The NATO Truppenstatut 1949, or SOFA as it is otherwise known, also specifies the conditions that apply to members of the forces of the 6 sending states, the civilian component and their families. By the terms of that agreement, you are not resident in Germany, nor are members of your family: Therefore you are not entitled to register your privately owned vehicle on the German net, apart from the separately agreed exceptions I mentioned earlier.

As I clearly do not have the slightest clue about this subject, perhaps you should continue taking the word of your internet buddies, or as I suggested earlier, go to the BFG office or ring their hotline for advice.

Your first mistake was to marry a boxhead...

Watch and learn.

[video=youtube;1v5QCGqDYGo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v5QCGqDYGo[/video]

Written by Theodor Seuss Geisel don't you know... not quite as good as his other works.

Reasonable answer...try it then! You may get the paperwork done and even succeed in dodging the system, but that is exactly what you will be doing.

The NATO Truppenstatut 1949, or SOFA as it is otherwise known, also specifies the conditions that apply to members of the forces of the 6 sending states, the civilian component and their families. By the terms of that agreement, you are not resident in Germany, nor are members of your family: Therefore you are not entitled to register your privately owned vehicle on the German net, apart from the separately agreed exceptions I mentioned earlier.

As I clearly do not have the slightest clue about this subject, perhaps you should continue taking the word of your internet buddies, or as I suggested earlier, go to the BFG office or ring their hotline for advice.
I can't be really aresed, but are you saying that a German that marries a squaddie, has a car on the German system and they live in a German home, are breaking BFG rules?............For one, the German has to be - by German law - registered on the German system to keep their Perso etc up to date!

Latest Threads