bfg bike registration

If it is a flat dip beam, then no. These beams did not have a left or right bias and as such, are able to be used on either side of the road.

Boogieman said:
Bodhisattva said:
If it is a flat dip beam, then no. These beams did not have a left or right bias and as such, are able to be used on either side of the road.
Incorrect - flat beams are no longer accepted.
Flat beams on m/bikes ARE accepted for BFG.

Boogieman said:
Bodhisattva said:
Incorrect - flat beams are no longer accepted.
If they are fitted on older machines as OE then yes, they are. Allowance is made for this as in a lot of cases, angled dip headlights are not available to be retro fitted.

Would appear that I am not up to speed regarding the rule change that came in during 2008. I can't see anything relating to motorcycles in there though.

Mate, if you are coming to JHQ area, PM me as I know guys here with flat beams have had to buy left hooker-lights after having a flat beam. Alternatively you can take 'advice' off people on here....

I was serving in BFG when flat beams became 'outlawed'. My car that had been perfectly road legal for two years suddenly became illegal overnight, requiring me to go out and spend €800 on a set of left hooker lights to pass my BFG renewal, chuffed I was not. I remember someone wrote to the Sixth Sense on the subject. He pointed out that BFG regulations are there to bring the Forces residing in Germany in line with the rules and regulations of the host nation. Apparantly he went to a German civvy TUV testing centre and asked if flat beams were acceptable, the answer was a categoric "Ja". His letter was answered by someone high up in BFGVLO and was along the lines of "We make the rules around here, sonny. Wind your neck in and do not challenge our authoritaaah."

TheAllTooDifficultColumn said:
I was serving in BFG when flat beams became 'outlawed'. My car that had been perfectly road legal for two years suddenly became illegal overnight, requiring me to go out and spend €800 on a set of left hooker lights to pass my BFG renewal, chuffed I was not. I remember someone wrote to the Sixth Sense on the subject. He pointed out that BFG regulations are there to bring the Forces residing in Germany in line with the rules and regulations of the host nation. Apparantly he went to a German civvy TUV testing centre and asked if flat beams were acceptable, the answer was a categoric "Ja". His letter was answered by someone high up in BFGVLO and was along the lines of "We make the rules around here, sonny. Wind your neck in and do not challenge our authoritaaah."
Unfortunately - that is always the answer with the BFGVLO!!!!!! It is an out of date system put in place to mess us around and unfortunately run by CS and ROs that really do not give a fcuk about serving soldiers

Unfortunately - that is always the answer with the BFGVLO!!!!!! It is an out of date system put in place to mess us around and unfortunately run by CS and ROs that really do not give a fcuk about serving soldiers
Yawn...Yawn..... you haven't got a clue have you.

So what about someone who buys a left hand drive car intended for the German market that has flat beams? As it will be fitted with the headlamps required in the country of its registration, there will be no 'continental' lamps available for it. What would one do then? Surely BFGVLO have to apply the same standards as TuV?

scruff_2 said:
Hi

Just bought a Honda VF750 from the UK. Will I need to change the headlight to get it BFG'd?
Speak to WO1 (ASM) Nige Black at UKSC(G) G4 ES Branch (Bielefeld) he is a good POC for all things BFG Vehicle Testing. Sorry I don't have the tel. ext to hand, he will advice you on how to proceed.

This does all seem very silly as I think I am right in saying that most modern bikes use a flat beam configuration (and are perfectly Euro-spec legal on both sides of the channel). Where that flat beam is built into a fairing, it would be difficult to achieve what is being asked for here. Clearly bikes with retro style round headlights will have less of an issue as one always has the option of changing the whole unit for an aftermarket one.

I think someone at BFG has been very silly if this is being reported correctly.

Gents, I was wrong. It appears that the 2 bikes I were thinking of had lights which kicked to the right (seems suspicious as one was a BFG bought 'blade which was exactly the same model I bought which had flat beams :? )
It would appear that bikes with flat beams are acceptable however cars which have them, are not.

Insanity :roll:

So in essence, bikes stand fast. Cars with flat beams are legal in UK, legal in Germany, but not legal in the made up fantasy world of BFG.