BFBS to Plug P Morons Book - disgraceful!

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
BFBS are going to interview Piers Moron on Radio 2 so that he can plug his book. I've e-mailed them to complain. BFBS should not be giving the oxygen of publicity to this particular oxygen thief. I'd be grateful if other Arrsers would do the same - perhaps we could get the b'stard taken off.

Any chance of a template for the letter or at least the email to send it to, or a bit more info. Feel awkward abusing people if it might be wrong.

Let's have the facts first before an action is launched. BFBS staff are never far from here, perhaps one of them could comment.

chimera

LE
Keep us updated with the reply. I do find this frankly unbelievable. I am surprised that someone in the MOD hasn't picked this up. But then the Ministers and Civil Servants are so far up the ar*e of the press that they probably think it is a good idea.

This has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with this thread - I just really enjoy reading it...

Piers Morgan sacked, Mirror execs admit he was fake
14 May 2004

The alleged editor of the alleged Daily Mirror, the alleged Piers Morgan, has been sacked after his superiors realised that they had fallen victim to a "malicious hoax". Trinity Mirror executives said in a statement that they employed Mr Morgan in good faith, believing him to be a genuine newspaper editor, but now accept that he is a fake. Because of this, they added, it would be "inappropriate for him to continue".

"This was a calculated and malicious hoax," it said. "There is now sufficient evidence to suggest that Mr Morgan is a fake. We apologise unreservedly for any confusion we may have caused our readers."

That confusion is thought to be over a number of the "stories" published under Mr Morgan's watch, including scoops over the last week that British soldiers were responsible for abusing Iraqi prisoners, the great train robbery, invading the birthday party of Queen Douglas of Bulgaria, and "Leslie Ash's lips".

Former newspaper editor Andrew Neil said that time had been running out for Mr Morgan "for a long time", although he was not surprised that it had taken so long for him to be sacked, as he knew everything there is, was and will be to know. "For a start, with more so-called soldiers coming forward to the Mirror every day, Mr Morgan was rapidly running out of letters in the alphabet for him to use," he said. "I think he'd got up to about Soldier F – I'd estimate that after that he could only have another 20 to 30 more letters to go before he'd have to switch to a different method of identifying his sources, like numbers, or possibly even little symbols."

A source within Trinity Mirror told DeadBrain that they had employed Mr Morgan to provide an "accurate representation of the facts" to the newspaper's readers, or at the very least increase its readership, but he had failed in both respects. Mr Neil, who refused to stop talking when our reporter attempted to end the interview with him, said that this proved that the newspaper's management quite obviously knew nothing about journalism.

However, pressure still remains on the Daily Mirror to prove that it too is not a fake. Questions have been raised over whether the Mirror is in fact a newspaper, given that on most days instead of news it contains articles of questionable merit and accuracy about celebrities, people who have slept with celebrities and, on a number of occasions, people who have met celebrities.

Speculation is now mounting that Mr Morgan will follow in the steps of the alleged former BBC journalist, Andrew Gilligan, and move to the Spectator. This would be a particularly apt career move, Mr Neil added as our reporter attempted to hail a taxi, since the Spectator is edited by the spoof MP for Henley, Boris Johnson, who would undoubtedly welcome another person of questionable authenticity.

When asked to comment on Mr Morgan's dismissal, Trevor Kavanagh, the political editor of the Sun, shouted "ner ner nah ner ner", blew a raspberry and "started dancing a merry jig" as Mr Neil attempted to talk over him.

A spokesman for the British people meanwhile said that he would like Mr Morgan to come forward and apologise for every appearance he has ever made on television on the grounds that they were all incredibly irritating.
From DeadBrain and a thousand other sources.

Message from the Managing Editor of BFBS UK:

Yes, you're correct: Piers Morgan is due to be interviewed in early September, and the book is likely to be part of our line of questioning.
Just waiting for them to confirm which e-mail address people should write in to......

R

really?_fascinating

Why, should BFBS only interview 'great blokes?' Surely the point of a free press is to interview any one it wants and allow the viewers/ listeners/ readership make up their own minds? It might actually give people a different perspective on why the Mirror published the photos and what pressures Morgan was under to support the Mirror's anti war position.

Of course, you could just censor him and all those whose point of view is not your own....

chimera

LE
People that have just written abook do not go on the media to contribute to an academic debate, they do it to SELL THEIR BOOK. By doing this interview BFPS is effectively giving Moron free advertising.

The man edited a newspaper that was (and still is) openly hostile to the Forces and all that we stand for, and who published pictures that everyone in the media business judged to be fakes from the word go.

He should not be granted the oxygen of publicity. Censorship - maybe, but if he wants to hawk his tawdry attempt at self justification he should do it elsewhere.

I agree with chimera.

The guy needs this tattooing or branding (preferably) on his forehead.

I'm all for free speech, etc. after all my job ensures it, but making up lies and then printing them takes this priveledge a little far!!!

He was the editor of a paper that printed what everybody knew was a lie. I knew they were fake from 20m away. Litrally, I was stood 20m away from the paper stand in Asda and knew that no one in the world would be in that body position whilst some one kicked them. I can't believe I then wasted good sole rubber to go and look closer.

Are you a journo by anychance really?_fascinating?

A statement from BFBS (but no email provided - will follow up):

BFBS appreciates that Piers Morgan is clearly a controversial figure, especially within the military community which felt the impact of the Daily Mirror's faked pictures so strongly. BFBS fully understands that individuals may or may not approve of the things Mr Morgan has done, or indeed of the values he stands for, but these alone are not reason enough to cancel the interview.

BFBS Radio subscribes to the Ofcom Broadcasting Code (as you may know, Ofcom is the broadcast industry regulator). Part of this means that we promote freedom of expression and balance in what we do on air, coupled with a focus on enabling adult audiences to make an informed choice by giving them a reasonable expectation of what they will receive. There are limits and exclusions, of course - for example where language, profanity, incitement to crime, incitement to racial hatred or some matters relating to religion are concerned. Under 18s and people who might otherwise be considered unable to make a reasoned decision for themselves are also protected.

This interview won't be Mr Morgan's first appearance on BFBS Radio since the publication of the fake pictures, and the purpose of our interview this time will contravene none of these exclusions mentioned above. Furthermore, the interview will again be prefaced by placing it in the context of who the interviewee is and the fact that he is a controversial person. He will be questioned with appropriate vigour as to the effect his actions have had on our target forces audience.

Good point from BFBS, no matter how loathsome and slimy Morgan is we dont cry outrage when the BBC or other news agencys give George Galloway time to talk rubbish, even though we all know what should be done to him.

BFBS will have him on air, the only option is to send in a deluge of emails, phone calls etc rubbishing the swine. The more we demand he not be given the oxygen of publicity the more BFBS will want him on air, theres no such thing as bad publicity.

A good situation would be for him to be tackled without deference or kid gloves for the traitorous vanity he holds so dear. A volunteer from Arrse could put him straight before he tries to sidetrack his behaviour by mentioning WMD, the UN, Blair, freedom of the press, his brother being a Major, as if this is a "get out of jail free" card

Then again, someone should kick him to death

Moron can plug his book all he likes - if its anything like his last effort, which purported to be the diary of a somebody, then it will be largely bol.locks. That particular volumne listed numerous accounts of people, places and times that the moron was supposeed to have been, cosied up to etc. On closer inspection they were found to be wrong, dubious, fictional or just plain lies - because presumbably some of these folks didn't want to be seen dead with the wanchor.

Its amazing just what downright deception you can get away with when you've got an ego the size of Harrods.

When he knowingly published that load of pish, the militants stepped up their campaign and caused even more soldiers to be killed or injured. I believe he is indirectly responsible for deaths or injuries caused to our comrades on Op TELIC. But then again...so were the f***wits who abused prisoners for real.

Morgan is a sleazy multi-millionaire who will become even richer through this kind of publicity. I'm all for free speech, but we don't need to give that steaming pile of filth free publicity at the expense of our dead and injured. The man is pure scum.

Piers Moron has a brother in the Army. Currently a Major. Seemed a decent enough chap (the Major that is). I cannot remember what regiment he is in as I only met him in civvies (I met him at RMCS). Possibly a sapper or a loggie.

Maybe he hates his brother, thus a bit of sibling rivalry causes him to slag off the Army, or his brother tells him the truth about all the c*ck ups?

Let us hope the 'appropriate rigour' of the questioning will include asking him how he thinks the relatives of the soldiers whose graves were desecrated, with the fake pictures, feel about his endless unsavoury quest for circulation and self-publicity.

Well maybe the heads of shed at BFBS2 think that it's only right and fair to allow the Moron on their program to promote his new book. But I for one thought that BFBS was 'the forces radio station'? We are 'the forces' so what we want on or not on the station should be the concern of BFBS.

If they are going to give him free publicity air time, I for one am going to boycot both BFBS 1 & 2 for that day. I can listen to a bit of 'Einslive' or Radio Antenna' for a day. Then it doesn't matter when Pillok Moron is on BFBS, I won't have to listen to him. May I suggest that anyone who thinks that BFBS should concider their audience may want to do the same.

ViroBono said:
Let us hope the 'appropriate rigour' of the questioning will include asking him how he thinks the relatives of the soldiers whose graves were desecrated, with the fake pictures, feel about his endless unsavoury quest for circulation and self-publicity.
Nice thought, but I don't think BFBS would soil their hands with such gritty news. Probably just ask if he's had a nice day and how his new book turned out. I mean, if it's that muppet Mansel doing the interview, he won't want to make Moron uncomfortable would he? :roll:

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I too sent an e-mail to BFBS, and received a remarkably similar reply to that which Forces_Sweetheart posted above.
I suppose that BFBS were expecting a few annoyed servicemen to contact them.

Here's the outgoing, sent at 1012 hrs:

Dear Sir,

I am given to believe that BFBS will shortly be interviewing Mr Piers Morgan, late of the Daily Mirror, during which he shall no doubt drop in the odd plug for his book. I imagine too that this is not free advertising but that he will be receiving a payment for his 'services.'

I am incensed at the decision to interview this person, it was his decision to put the lives of servicemen at risk for no other reason than to increase the circulation of the sordid little rag he edited at the time, ie for financial gain. One could argue that he lost his job over the incident, but with the golden handshake received he's hardly on the breadline.

If the information that he is to be interviewed is indeed true, I would appreciate a full explanation from yourselves as to why it is taking place. Is it purely to raise the blood pressure of every member of the Armed Forces and that of their families ? I will also expect to be informed of exactly how much he earns from this event and precisely who made the decision to invite him. The answer 'a committee decision' is unacceptable, there are people on such that give a yea or nay and they are answerable for their actions.

I sincerely hope that any decision to give the oxygen of publicity to this loathsome venal creature will be swiftly curtailed, and that it is ensured that he does not receive any pecuniary gain whatsoever from this venture.

I await your reply with great interest.

The reply received at 1400 hrs:

BFBS said:
Thank you for your email.

First of all let me assure you that neither BFBS nor our parent company, SSVC (nor anyone else associated with either BFBS or SSVC) will be making any payment whatsoever to Piers Morgan for his appearance on BFBS Radio in early September. That is simply not the way these things work.

Mr Morgan is clearly a controversial figure, especially within the military community which felt the impact of the Daily Mirror's faked pictures so strongly. I fully understand you may not approve of the things Mr Morgan has done, or indeed of the things he stands for, but these alone are not reason enough to cancel the interview.

BFBS Radio subscribes to the Ofcom Broadcasting Code (as you may know, Ofcom is the broadcast industry regulator). Part of this means that we promote freedom of expression and balance in what we do on air, coupled with a focus on enabling adult audiences to make an informed choice by giving them a reasonable expectation of what they will receive. There are limits and exclusions, of course - for example where language, profanity, incitement to crime, incitement to racial hatred or some matters relating to religion are concerned. Under 18s and people who might otherwise be considered unable to make a reasoned decision for themselves are also protected.

The purpose of our interview with Mr Morgan will contravene none of these exclusions. Furthermore, I would like to assure you that the interview will be prefaced by placing it in the context of who the interviewee is and the fact that he is a controversial person. I should add that this interview won't be Mr Morgan's first appearance on BFBS Radio, and I can assure you that he will be questioned with great vigour as to the effect his actions have had on our target forces audience.

Yours sincerely

Alan Phillips.

First I'd like to say how chuffed that they have taken the time to reply to the e-mail and impressed that they managed it within four hours.

I now look forward to hearing the interview, if he is questioned as vigourously as Mr Phillips suggests it should be entertaining.

Personally I believe that the morgan creature should not be given the publicity, but rather dressed as Uncle Sam with an Arabic tattoo across his forehead saying that Allah's a bacon butty eating drunkard. Then he should be dropped off alone in one of the iffier areas of the sandpit.
But that's just my own view.

My email to BFBS:

Dear Sirs

In the past BFBS has interviewed Geoff Hoon, always memorable for his dullness. Just prior to the last election we were entertained by a particularly testy Adam Ingram. Now, I learn that BFBS is to broadcast an interview with Piers Morgan, presumably so he can promote his latest scribblings; I trust he will be robustly questioned, preferably with the aid of a 4-ton truck, a sandbag and several pairs of Boots, Combat High.

Whilst such broadcasts are a welcome break in the endless schedule of ball-kicking programmes on BFBS Radio 2, and the inane chatter and frankly incomprehensible 'music' on BFBS Radio 1, surely the bottom of the barrel has now been reached. Or do you intend to run a series featuring individuals whose actions have made them deeply unpopular with the military?

I think we should be told.