BFBS Radio going the same way as PAYD?

Plant-Pilot said:
CAARPS said:
BFBS 2 would be a big loss to those who have moved on from BFBS 1

As for BORONA, there will still be a fair few soldiers left in Germany after the HQ’s go for a little while yet
But not so many that they need the kind of broadcasting setup there is now.

As for the operations in Germany, the following quote from the report states

"In BFG, the station's HQ will move from Herford to its new studio facility in Hohne's Round House. Outstations in Guetersloh, Paderborn and JHQ will have reporters but will not be used for transmission." And so, with demands for Sennelager to become a national park and the Germans moving their tank training to the east, Hohne will be the last base to close.

It also mentions that their contract with the MoD expires on March 31st 2011.
So moving the main operations back to the UK (in other words, downsizing to garrison radio) is a good way of keeping the contract after 2011.

I can understand the need for some 'downsizing' even a move into garrison radio and providing a DAB service across the UK. What I can't agree with is that this should be to the detriment of the service provided to the Forces Abroad. Providing two channels should mean providing more than just two lots of the same content, aimed at the a single band of the audience. Taking away the news content provided by BBC Radio 4, or the evenings of sport provided by 5 Live, on BFBS2 has no effect on DAB or garrison radio as they can tune into BBC Radio 4 or 5 Live. Those in Germany, Cyprus or Gibraltar can't, at least not when they are anywhere other than home.

If there is to be a change, wouldn't it have been better to have a single BFBS DAB channel piped through to replace BFBS1 and keep BFBS2 more or less as it is? That way downsizing DAB, Garrison Radio and the service provided now by BFBS2 are kept.

troll_king said:
Plant-Pilot said:
CAARPS said:
BFBS 2 would be a big loss to those who have moved on from BFBS 1

As for BORONA, there will still be a fair few soldiers left in Germany after the HQ’s go for a little while yet
But not so many that they need the kind of broadcasting setup there is now.

As for the operations in Germany, the following quote from the report states

"In BFG, the station's HQ will move from Herford to its new studio facility in Hohne's Round House. Outstations in Guetersloh, Paderborn and JHQ will have reporters but will not be used for transmission." And so, with demands for Sennelager to become a national park and the Germans moving their tank training to the east, Hohne will be the last base to close.

It also mentions that their contract with the MoD expires on March 31st 2011.
So moving the main operations back to the UK (in other words, downsizing to garrison radio) is a good way of keeping the contract after 2011.
Do you know something the rest of us don’t. Hohne, Gutersloh and Paderborn Garrisons are all going to be around for some time yet (even if it’s only due to the fact that there is no suitable infrastructure in UK to put everyone).

BFBS exists to provide a service to forces where there is no alternative (or if it doesn’t it should). UK soldiers do not need the media support that Germany, Cyprus, the Falklands etc require.

Is it not unreasonable to expect 1 light entertainment and 1 current affairs radio channel to a Divisional sized (all be it 2 Bdes) organisation with all it’s supporting units and families.

I don't know when 1 (UK) Armd Div is moving back to the UK, but I'd think it would be just as soon as the crabs decide which air bases they're keeping or if the Germans decide they want Sennelager to become a national park, like they did with the Belgies over Vogelsang.

As for what sort of broadcasting service overseas bases need, the easy answer for BFBS is rebro garrison radio from the UK and have local input slots from each location. Agreed, that's going to be nothing but light entertainment but that's what most of the audience wants.

troll_king said:
I don't know when 1 (UK) Armd Div is moving back to the UK, but I'd think it would be just as soon as the crabs decide which air bases they're keeping or if the Germans decide they want Sennelager to become a national park, like they did with the Belgies over Vogelsang.

As for what sort of broadcasting service overseas bases need, the easy answer for BFBS is rebro garrison radio from the UK and have local input slots from each location. Agreed, that's going to be nothing but light entertainment but that's what most of the audience wants.
So Garrison Radio piped in? Might as well not have studios here at all then. As for "that's going to be nothing but light entertainment but that's what most of the audience wants", two channels of the same thing? I'd say that the news and sport provided by BFBS2 is quite popular.

Plant-Pilot said:
troll_king said:

So Garrison Radio piped in? Might as well not have studios here at all then. As for "that's going to be nothing but light entertainment but that's what most of the audience wants", two channels of the same thing? I'd say that the news and sport provided by BFBS2 is quite popular.
More popular than some might think. Most of the soldiers lamented the demise of the live commentary on a Saturday for the music/match update of the current format, this in the days before BFBS 2.

However harridan screams of the vocal minority more commonly known as the snakes with tits not only got their way with the radio they forced sport to be marginalised on the one TV channel in favour of soap upon soap upon bloody soap :twisted:

No doubt the same will happen again if it is choice between ‘popular’ entertainment 8O or current affairs

It's not as if members of the armed forces stationed in Germany, Cyprus or Gibraltar have any interest in sport or current affairs..... why would they? Silly to even think so really.

And if BFBS2 current affairs are lost, this also means it's lost for those in Iraq and Afghanistan too.... I bet they just want two channels with a bit of 'jingly music' and aren't worried about what's going on at home or in the world.

I just can't see the point of piping through the DAB station. After all BFBS have always been the 'local' radio station..... unless, no..... it couldn't be could it? Not just to save money? Not at the expense of the service it provides. They wouldn't. Would they?

Dont forget BFBS is funded by charitable donations. In these current times when the money is tighter than Matt Jagger what choice do they have.

Don't know about Sennelager becoming a National Park, but as the whole of PzGren 21, which is the highest readiness Bde the Germans have is in Augustdorf (= Sennelager for the Germans), the Bundeswehr might have a word or two to say...

I think BFBS went down hill after refusing to repeat "Wind In The Willows " in 1973 as I was in NI
for the last four or so episodes, You lot don´t know how well you have it, with Satellite Radio, TV, Internet, etc.
In my time it was BFBS One or lump it, A TV in the barrack room was considered a "Chargeable offence" as it was Stealing
Government Property, IE the electricity.
I got charged once for keeping a pigeon as a pet in my room for company., Sad I know..... :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

boggy said:
I think BFBS went down hill after refusing to repeat "Wind In The Willows " in 1973 as I was in NI
for the last four or so episodes, You lot don´t know how well you have it, with Satellite Radio, TV, Internet, etc.
In my time it was BFBS One or lump it, A TV in the barrack room was considered a "Chargeable offence" as it was Stealing
Government Property, IE the electricity.
I got charged once for keeping a pigeon as a pet in my room for company., Sad I know..... :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Well done granddad

And your predecessors whinged that you lot actually got accommodation blocks & electricity

It called progress :wink: