BFBS RADIO BACK ON DAB IN THE UK ON MONDAY 20TH APRIL 2009

agoodgrouping

War Hero
Plant-Pilot said:
Firstly to agoodgrouping, nobody is asking them to be 'all things to all men', that of course would be impossible. However BFBS2 did, up until recently give an alternative to the chart oriented BFBS1. What is now available is more or less the same content on two different frequencies one of which has a very very limited coverage. A choice of more than one is not a lot to ask.

Plant Pilot, mate I can’t agree that the content is the same on the two frequencies – see my chart below. I am not sure which alteration to the BFBS 2 schedules you are taking issue with. It has changed many times over the years and I assume that it is the changes from last week (20 Apr). A few months ago we lost many of the programmes they commissioned themselves (BFBS Reports or something on a Sunday – ironing time !) and ones taken from the BBC (Archers Omnibus etc). However, listening to the new schedule this week so far I can’t see that too much has changed anyway – not enough for me to get a lather on about. OK, the signal is good in JHQ (it peters out 2 clicks past Elmpt) but I know that BFBS have tried their best to get better reception throughout Germany & the local Govts just won’t wear it – there are only so many frequencies avail.

I still get almost everything I like and I got before 20 Apr so what is the fuss about ? – bit of music for about 4 hours a day or the presenters – that is personal taste ( I confess that I cannot STAND Moyles and would break my radio and learn to yodel if I was washed up on a Desert Island with only his show on offer).

We still start the day with Today, we still get W@1 (and that was a pleasant surprise because we didn’t get that until a few months ago) we still get PM, we still get 6 o’ Clock News, we still get Sitrep, we still then get news/sport through the night. At weekends I am never up early enough for Classics anyway but I get the Grand Prix and Sport throughout the afternoon. So what have I lost ? Gold in a weekday morning – well I am at work anyway and as most of the Army were born after those songs were released, they should have their own tastes catered for as I am for much of the rest of the time. Glenn Mansell in the afternoon, well I said before I thought that a mistake because he was good at tackling G1 issues (could have just given him a newer playlist) but I’m at work then anyway. So what are you hankering after – a return to Just a Minute, the Tommy Vance Rock Show, Country & Western, Raven & the Blues, Rockola, Roddigan’s Rockers, Richard Allison etc – they cost money to make & there is less of it about – not due to DAB but due to the every lengthening list of places we now work in. And, if they were to return, what would be lost in their place ? Hopefully not 5 Live because most soldiers on stag want football & the BBC don’t give live feed overseas of football on the net.

Perhaps we should conduct our own customer survey on here, I would be intrigued to see what the contributors on this forum want themselves – I am confident that noone will have a schedule to please everyone. For what it's worth, here’s mine (all times CET)–

TIME WEEKDAY WEEKEND
0000 AS NOW – 5 LIVE
0700 AS NOW – TODAY AS NOW – 5 LIVE
0800 AS NOW – TODAY
1100 Not bothered really Jonathan Ross(Sat)– not sure if Feed from R2 is free ? *
1400 AS NOW –W@1 WTWKend (Sun)
1500 GLEN MANSELL AS NOW - 5 LIVE
1800 AS NOW – PM
1900 AS NOW -6 O CLOCK NEWS
2000 AS NOW – 5 LIVE

*You don’t have any more money to spend than you have now to commission your own programmes. DAB is funded by SSVC so it is an optional extra for UK, we have lost nothing & troops in UK have gained).

It's gone very quiet.

agoodgrouping must have answered all the questions and the peasants son has probably gone sailing.

Apropos of none of the above. Where has sitrep gone ?

agoodgrouping

War Hero
baconsarnie,

b****r - you are right, my error - it is still on Thurs at 1800hrs (knocks out PM) but now extended to 1 hour. I'm not so sure the new format works as it is a series of 5 min slots juxtaposed with BFBS reports so sometimes, just as you get to the meaty bit of debate, they have to break off and do a quiz or run a defence related news report. Still, lets give them a chance.

People have taken time to complain which proves that there is a REAL need for a second service and that's why developing the programming with BFBS is so much more effective than picking a fight with them. In fairness, MOD aren't great at introducing new ideas or products are we ? (Eurofighter, JPA, FRES. Bowman, Chinooks etc etc) If we can feed in what we want back to BFBS there is a better chance of them supporting it.

I really miss Dave Raven's G3 & computer programmes but, be honest, he won't have done that for free (houseboats on the Thames don't come cheap) so lets be thankful for a channel which remains a fanstastic addition to Service life overseas.

While they can include scheduled events (Remembrance Sunday etc) it will be interesting to see if their new service can quickly react to major events as they happen (eg the next 7/7 or similar) & switch to live feed from UK.

I KNOW that BFBS are on our side and I have been very grateful for them helping me out in sticky moments and on PR, charity fundraising over the years and they are full of good people if you work with them.

It isn't quiet here - after a week in this Ops Room reading ARRSE & watching the clock I will probably not be on line again for a year so remember....

'Do not raise your voice - improve your arguement' Desmond Tutu
(sadly a policy I have never managed to convince my wife to follow !)

Proposals for inclusion on a grown up BFBS2:

Any Quesions, Any Answers - both of which need not be transmitted live. PM's questions, edited highlights of Defence Questions/debate.

R4 Comedy. Chose from The Now Show, Just a Minute, The News Quiz, there is a good stand-up show (name escapes me) Old Nick's Game and many others normally on straight after 6 o'clock news. Good light relief before 5 Live kicks in. There is seldom any live sport until 7pm UK time, just commentators and speculation on what is to come.

Much as it bores me to tears - The Archers. Worth 10 minutes to send the oldies off to sleep.

Jonathen Woss on Sat morning - good entertainment, music and guests. Establish a regular weekly link to the UK. Why not a weekend link up with each of the regions BBC Scotland/Wales/NI? - local radio are desperate to widen their audiences.

I know BBC expect payment but if cost is too much then it is high-time that they were challenged. They are a public service and I'm sure if the outrage bus was fired up they (the BBC or their political masters) could be made to see reason.

Oh, and there is nothing wrong with doing repeats, providing you are repeating something that was worth broadcasting in the first place.

Re-hashes of BFBS "reporters" interviewing Mrs GOC about the Joint HQ cake-stall and a round-up of all the week's stories from BFG really don't count as good repeats. Sitrep's well worth repeating to broaden its recievership.

agoodgrouping

War Hero
Herrumph said:
Proposals for inclusion on a grown up BFBS2:

Any Quesions, Any Answers - both of which need not be transmitted live. PM's questions, edited highlights of Defence Questions/debate.

R4 Comedy. Chose from The Now Show, Just a Minute, The News Quiz, there is a good stand-up show (name escapes me) Old Nick's Game and many others normally on straight after 6 o'clock news. Good light relief before 5 Live kicks in. There is seldom any live sport until 7pm UK time, just commentators and speculation on what is to come.

Much as it bores me to tears - The Archers. Worth 10 minutes to send the oldies off to sleep.

Jonathen Woss on Sat morning - good entertainment, music and guests. Establish a regular weekly link to the UK. Why not a weekend link up with each of the regions BBC Scotland/Wales/NI? - local radio are desperate to widen their audiences.

I know BBC expect payment but if cost is too much then it is high-time that they were challenged. They are a public service and I'm sure if the outrage bus was fired up they (the BBC or their political masters) could be made to see reason.

No Humph, I'm sorry but you aren't playing the game - we can ALL say what we want to hear but you need to put it into a tight schedule that will satisfy everyone - see my earlier post....where on earth are you going to squeeze all your preferences into the time/schedules and still get the other live feed othrs think are essential ? (like me & I doubt I am in your time-zone).

I've attached the schedule (I've tried to -blame them dropping Dave Raven if I fail) ...if you put in Any Answers (sat pm 1500 CET) it will conflict directly with live sport (you might get away with football but 6 Nations - you would be crucified). Do it at a later time ?..when would you play it & who would hear it - would it be the breakfast show in Kabul ? The world it is-a changing, once upon a time football was only played on Saturday afternoons or odd Wednesdays, now it is media-driven product almost every day (& night).

The hard bit is fitting in what you want and pleasing everyone else so have a go on the attached sheet - but a clue, I DON'T want most of what you want because I can Podcast them.

BFBS DO get it wrong, someone switched the BFBS 2 (Radio 5) feed at 1917hrs on Sat to some urban beat box stuff which (had it been a key game) I would have wanted to cut someones fingers off - mistakes happen.

Finally, a small point but as I am working in a tri-service team (the RAF make excellent tea & coffee) I would add that the Army do appear to get the lion's share of the BFBS cake and we should remember that BAOR is dead, our numbers there are declining rapidly overseas and we have far more service personnel (& dependants) now in UK who also want to stay in touch with their loved ones wherever they are.

Humph, by the way - your sadly departed namesake & the excellent 'I'm sorry I haven't a clue' are missed- if there was any chance to fit that in I would have been delighted to hear it. You will perhaps have shared my enjoyment of Clement Freud's funeral 'Order of Service'

Born 12 May 1924

Best before 18 April 2009

True wit !!

Attachments

• my_best_bfbs.doc
    39 KB · Views: 82
Sorry agoodgrouping - couldn't get download to work. My age probably rather than your best efforts.

Comedy after 6 o'clock news before main sport kicks in. Not all days perhaps SITREP one day or big game if it is starting earlier than 7pm UK time.

PMQs live to break up pop-tastic light entertainment in the afternoon.

Jonathen Ross - same time as in UK Saturday morning - not many big games kick-off mid-day. Link with local radio - before JR but after Today programme.

Any questions/answers interspaced with Archers omnibus, token religious prog, repeat of SITREP etc on Sunday morning before 5 live Sport.

Re-runs of "I'm Sorry ..." could be played anytime in preference of the endless wittering about dubious referee's decisions/chances we missed/what the pies were like at the ground etc that we couldn't see anyway. I'm all in favour of 5Live so we can follow the sport but once the sport is over the chat and phone-ins are of limited interest to anyone surely?

That's Herrumph by the way - as in the noise one makes accompanied by rustling of the broadsheets when the subbies want orange squash served with their afternoon toast.

agoodgrouping

War Hero
Herrumph said:
Sorry agoodgrouping - couldn't get download to work. My age probably rather than your best efforts.

Comedy after 6 o'clock news before main sport kicks in. Not all days perhaps SITREP one day or big game if it is starting earlier than 7pm UK time.

PMQs live to break up pop-tastic light entertainment in the afternoon.

Jonathen Ross - same time as in UK Saturday morning - not many big games kick-off mid-day. Link with local radio - before JR but after Today programme.

Any questions/answers interspaced with Archers omnibus, token religious prog, repeat of SITREP etc on Sunday morning before 5 live Sport.

Re-runs of "I'm Sorry ..." could be played anytime in preference of the endless wittering about dubious referee's decisions/chances we missed/what the pies were like at the ground etc that we couldn't see anyway. I'm all in favour of 5Live so we can follow the sport but once the sport is over the chat and phone-ins are of limited interest to anyone surely?

That's Herrumph by the way - as in the noise one makes accompanied by rustling of the broadsheets when the subbies want orange squash served with their afternoon toast.

click on that blob that looks like a blue toaster at the bottom of my message (now you know why JPA is such a boon for us all)....once you have completed that we can see your schedule, remember that 0330 in Brunei is midnight in Kabul, 2130 in Germany, 2030 in UK, 1330 in the Falklands and BATUS...very easy to say I want this & that & then - do it so you please that lot on time & for free ! Easier to plat fog.

Most of what you want is avail online (PMQs etc) but how many people want that ....most people HATE politicians and it isn't great radio (too many planted q's). The BBC do offer 'Listen again' service after all on virtually everything worldwide for 7 days ?

I think this 2nd channel needs to be more immediate news & sport rather than replay stuff available elsewhere...just my view.

G2

(PS suggest you get the RAF in for tea & toast - far better biscuits & they always find a budget to pay for them too !)

RAF in for tea! Listen to yourself man

All that static between nylon uniforms and the chesterfields. The glare off the patent leather shoes. First name terms with the military staff. White socks. The fighting over The Sun. Endless talk about engines, fuel and why they shouldn''t be made to do PT.

And all that horror before the aircrew turn up dressed in growbags.

All to get a few extra jammie dodgers!

Link works today - will get on to it

I got stuck with BFBS2 all day yesterday, so took it as an opportunity to 'Give BFBS Radio a chance'. Wish I hadn't bothered. The occasional good tune but a hell of a lot of rubbish and patronizing twaddle. There were a few interviews from Basrah, which could have been interesting was it not for being 'dumbed down' to suit the civvy DAB audience and the amateur interview style by the so called DJs... they are supposed to be professional aren't they?

A shadow of it's former self and sounding more like a UK local radio station. Cheap, 'cheerful' and constantly grating on the nerves. If that's what we get in place of what was a good alternative station, [sarcasm] Well done BFBS! [/sarcasm]

Firstly I'm sure BFBS on DAB is great but I agree with some of the other comments on this thread that the service to British Forces overseas is suffering.

Surely BFBS should be focused on providing services to families and servicemen living abroad who don't have ready access to local media (at least in a language they can understand anyway). Its great that families in the UK can now listen to DAB on their £20 DAB radio from Tesco's but all this hype has no affect on those serving abroad who have seen a reduced service and can't listen to DAB anyway.

In my view BFBS should put the emphasis on supporting those on operations followed by those families and servicemen serving overseas and then, if there's any cash left, do something for the families in the UK. DAB in the UK just seems to be a way of breaking into the UK market at risk of alienating the local audiences overseas and at great cost.

On a different note, here in Canada we have been hearing about the new TV channels coming on BFBS but of course we don't get them. We have however seen a reduction in services such as losing Room 785 which has really upset the kids here.
Again it seems as if the far off locations are suffering whilst more established locations are getting services that already exist elsewhere and are freely available.

It's all gone quiet again.... is that because....

a) BFBS is great and there are no complaints?
b) Nobody is complaining because they don't listen anyway?
c) Like me, nobody bothers listening any more?

I do occasionally, which reinforces my policy of not bothering to listen. Interested in how it goes, but as there plenty of alternatives for both TV and Radio, so I no longer give more than a passing care.

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
While I was in hospital in Thailand last month I listened on-line. Not terribly impressed with the amateur feel of it at all.

Plant-Pilot said:
It's all gone quiet again.... is that because....

a) BFBS is great and there are no complaints?
b) Nobody is complaining because they don't listen anyway?
c) Like me, nobody bothers listening any more?

Probably a bit of (b) and (c). I used to be apathetic, but now I just don't care.

dumbstruck

Old-Salt
Legs said:
While I was in hospital in Thailand last month I listened on-line. Not terribly impressed with the amateur feel of it at all.

What do you expect ! when BFBS cannot be bothered (due to costs) to give a decent 2nd option to the older listeners in the forces. If the DJ's that they employ were any good at there jobs I'm sure that they would be employed somewhere else and not with BFBS. Also I remember listening to BFBS radio in the 80's & 90's when only one service was given and it had a mix of everything to suit all tastes and everyone was happy. As soon as it is 10:00hrs I turn my radio onto a German station, can't understand what they are saying but at least they play decent music that I can listen to and not just the latest X FACTOR winner whinning to a nameless tune. This has probably be said in the previous threads but I cannot be bothered to read through them all. Rant over.

dumbstruck said:
Legs said:

What do you expect ! when BFBS cannot be bothered (due to costs) to give a decent 2nd option to the older listeners in the forces. If the DJ's that they employ were any good at there jobs I'm sure that they would be employed somewhere else and not with BFBS. Also I remember listening to BFBS radio in the 80's & 90's when only one service was given and it had a mix of everything to suit all tastes and everyone was happy. As soon as it is 10:00hrs I turn my radio onto a German station, can't understand what they are saying but at least they play decent music that I can listen to and not just the latest X FACTOR winner whinning to a nameless tune. This has probably be said in the previous threads but I cannot be bothered to read through them all. Rant over.

But you, me and everyone else who thinks like that are wrong! BFBS say they did a survey and there was no call for BFBS2. And they were right..... everyone who did now listen to the Today program and then tune to some other channel to avoid the dross on both BFBS channels at the same time. I mean, if we are no longer 'listeners' we don'r matter any more do we?

The issue here is surely one of costs. It appears that SSVC takes considerably more cash annually from the MoD than it needs to run the basic services. It has built up a considerable surplus, BFBS has cut back on other spending overseas and now announces that it can afford to run a national radio station on DAB - which is not cheap (it costs millions) commercial companies have been closing their national DAB services this year.

With military spending under such pressure it just will not do for SSVC to say they just happen to have a few spare million in the bank and that the national DAB service is therefore not costing anyone anything. In the real world the government could have reduced their grant for next year by the amount of the excess surplus.