BFBS Digital TV in Iraq and Afghanistan

Those nice people at BFBS have dropped us an email asking us to let you all know that they are setting up digital transmitters in Iraq and Afghanistan. Might be useful if you want to watch the world cup/your favourite soap whilst deployed:

Going to Iraq or Afghanistan?
Now you can watch BFBS TV in your tent!

BFBS is erecting DTT transmitters at SLB in Iraq and four camps in Afghanistan during May and June, so that with a digital TV, or any old TV and an inexpensive "Freeview" box, you can watch the six BFBS channels anywhere there's a power source. No longer will you be limited to a TV attached to a satellite dish in a communal area. You can even watch on your laptop or PC with a DTT USB stick.

BFBS TV has been aware for some time that the communal viewing arrangements in operational theatres like Iraq and Afghanistan don't ideally suit our viewers' needs. If the TV in your Mess tent is permanently tuned to sport, and you'd quite like to watch Corrie, it's been tough luck. But with DTT "digital terrestrial television" that's set to change.

If you can take a small TV with you on deployment to SLB in Iraq, or Kandahar Airfield, Camp Bastion, Laskar Gar or FOB Price (Gereshk) in Afghanistan, you’ll need a ‘Freeview’ box (unless it’s a digital TV) which cost from £30, and of course a set-top aerial, from about £5 up to £25. If you are taking a laptop, a USB stick to let you watch DTT costs around £35. You may also want headphones so you don’t annoy your tent-mates. If it’s too late for you to buy before you go, all these items are available to buy on the internet from websites like Amazon, who will post to BFPO addresses, and are under the 2kg BFPO limit.

What you’ll need

A ‘Freeview’ box such as: Philips DTR200 Freeview Set Top Box, £34.99 Boxed-product weight: 2kg
To watch on your laptop: Freecom Digital TV DVB-T USB Stick, £35Boxed-product weight: 1kg
An aerial: Euronetwork Economy Set Top Aerial, £4.85 Boxed-product weight: 1kg
We have not tested these items, these are just examples of the sort of thing to look for on the internet.
For more information, see www.bfbs.com/dtt or email us at info@bfbs.com

EDITORS’ NOTES:

a. BFBS TV is part of UK Forces charity the Services Sound and Vision Corporation (SSVC), providing TV, Radio, Cinemas, SSVC audio-visual shops and CSE live entertainment to British troops throughout the world – www.ssvc.com
b. British Forces Broadcasting Services Television (BFBS TV) began transmitting in 1975 when all programmes were taped in London and broadcast from a caravan in Germany
c. BFBS TV is considered one of the most important arms of the MOD’s welfare services for its soldiers, sailors and airmen and women and their dependants serving abroad.

For further press information contact:
Sarah Dornford-May, PR & Marketing Manager
01494 878290
sarah.dornford-may@ssvc.com

Joanne O’Hara, PR Coordinator
01494 878614
joanneoh@ssvc.com

Bad CO said:
To watch on your laptop: Freecom Digital TV DVB-T USB Stick, £35Boxed-product weight: 1kg
This is available with free shipping from ebuyer this week. £35.76 delivered including an internal antenna.

Link here

I have tried to order this from various suppliers to find no luck ebuyer will not post to a BFPO address overseas or this is what they have emailed me in there epost it note thing also most companies amazon included will charge you VAT and expect YOU to do all the work to reclaim it.

Hassle said:
I have tried to order this from various suppliers to find no luck ebuyer will not post to a BFPO address overseas or this is what they have emailed me in there epost it note thing also most companies amazon included will charge you VAT and expect YOU to do all the work to reclaim it.
I've had kit delivered to BFPO from ebuyer - i phoned them and explained the situation and they posted it no problem. I didnt persue the VAT issue as the price didnt warrant the hassle.

I think the problem might be that ebuyer generally deliver via courier and not normal post, although they can if you request it. Give them a bell.

Hassle said:
amazon are one of the most friendly bfpo companies out there regards vat all you have to do is send them an email quoting your order number and that your are entiteld to vat free goods then they will refund the vat even will back date it if you have the order numbers this is as long as your goods have been shipped to a bfpo vat free qualifying addreess

What USB stick are guys in Shaibah using now, we're heading out in under a month and it'd be good to get the right one before we go.

Chris_2oo6 said:
i've got 1 of them freecom usb sticks for my laptop

the supplied aerial is absolute dogshite

doesent pick up a thing...
The Freecom usb model comes with a short aerial giving poor reception in low signal strength areas. With these products signal strength is everything, so make sure you have an aerial with bags of gain. They work very well and have a good epg. Get the one that picks up analogue and digital signals, its worth the extra money.

I'm out on T9 in November and managed to pick up a freecom DVB USB Stick off Ebay for £24.95 delivered.

I do agree that the miniscule antenna is pants. I used a standard tv top aerial (not-boosted) at work to set the thing up and managed to get all the freeview UK Channels no problems.

My question is for anyone at Basrah Air Station, when is BFBS planning to broadcast DVB there? They were positioned down in Shaibah Log Base in April when I was last out, are they moving up country or setting up a new transmitter??

BFBS TV via DTT will be put into the COB (BAS or Basra APOD) and Lashkar Gar in Helmand late November/early December 2006, so it's definitely worth taking a laptop and USB DTT stick with you, or a small TV and freeview box if you can. You can buy 8" - 10" LCD idTVs (with integral digital tuner) quite reasonably, about £100 - Maplin is a good bet www.maplin.co.uk . Aerials are the trickiest part of the equation, depending how far you are from the DTT transmitter, whether you're in a Corrimec or tent, if tent is foil-lined, etc. You do, on the whole, need to get a decent high gain outdoor aerial to guarantee good reception.

The Naafi/EFIs in Basra and Helmand are stocking kit to receive DTT, but stock and prices varies, so I can't give precise details.

I can recommend the Miglia TV device for Mac users. A set top type aerial may be necessary in weak signal areas.

If you buy from the Apple Store, get it before you go - they only deliver by courier and not to BFPO addresses. Micro Anvika will send to BFPO addresses, evenif your card is registered elsewhere.

Just to let you know it works fine is SLB, Iraq. I have got a freeview box and a external powered areal. It cost me about £40 from Amazon, and I got the VAT back no problems from them.