Builds Bf 109 G-6 1/32 scale Revell

starting a new kit, recently purchased from e bay for £21, very good value for money by the look of it, lets see how it goes together first.
aaa box art me109 g.jpg

at a glance the kit looks to have quite a high parts count, but there's no pilot figure included, fine if you have the space for the wingspan on the ground, but I'm always making planes this size up on it's wingtip, as though it's banking, that way the display depth is far less.
parts out of the box a.jpg

I've got this fella on order from a UK seller, so shouldn't take too long to arrive.
Gustav pilot.jpg

the decal sheet provides options for twp planes, and early version 1944 G or a late version 1945 G.
decal sheet.jpg

The instruction booklet is only in black and white, I was expecting the coloured instructions they've been issuing lately, but even so it seem well laid out.
instruction sheet in bw.jpg

one thing that annoys me is the box type, being a tip and spill end opening, it's below par, and nobody makes a kit like this in one go, you need a protective tray to leave half assembled components and sub assemblies, especially for those that have to clear the decks for a family dinner night using the model table. There is of course a way around it....
parts out of the box.jpg

cut around the upper art work and place it where it can be seen for reference, and the box now acts as a tray for assemblies.
box modification.jpg

step one Cockpit floor.
first step.jpg

If ever a kit is going to generate "rivet counter" comment,it's a 109....or a Tiger covered in Zimmerit.....do you inflict German kits on yourself for punishment?

Daz

LE
one thing that annoys me is the box type, being a tip and spill end opening, it's below par, and nobody makes a kit like this in one go, you need a protective tray to leave half assembled components and sub assemblies, especially for those that have to clear the decks for a family dinner night using the model table. There is of course a way around it....
View attachment 582474
One of these :)

download.png

Daz

LE

Daz

LE
Steps 2 and 3 are incorrect, step 3 shows the Mk108 step 2 shows the MG151/20 breech assembly

rivet counter

Daz

LE
rivet counter
No, that's posting up picks of the missing wiring loom on the right-hand side of the cockpit beth fore & aft of the junction box, not forgetting also the missing smaller junction boxes on the left-hand side and the wiring runs associated with them - it's also pointing out that the late model depicted is a BF109-G6/U4 :)

No, that's posting up picks of the missing wiring loom on the right-hand side of the cockpit beth fore & aft of the junction box, not forgetting also the missing smaller junction boxes on the left-hand side and the wiring runs associated with them - it's also pointing out that the late model depicted is a BF109-G6/U4 :)
Can you also tell which side of the Rhine valley whence came the rivets used to hold said junction boxes down?

;)

Daz

LE

NSP

LE
Steps 2 and 3 are incorrect, step 3 shows the Mk108 step 2 shows the MG151/20 breech assembly
So the arse end of the cannon through the prop spinner was between the rudder pedals, then (more or less)...?

The cockpit walls in primer, can't put them together just in case the pilot needs to be built into the model, when he arrives.
cockpit walls.jpg

the two sides of the fuselage test fitted together early on for fit, the tail behind the cockpit is the only void, where the metal bar will go. The wing is too compartmentalized.
fusilege half test.jpg

metal bar bent to shape to act as a support to hold the model up off the ground, I used two part epoxy resin glue, for an extra strong bond.
rod glued in.jpg

test to see if there's enough wing clearance from the ground. Plenty of height there, time to move ahead with the wing construction.
rod glued in b.jpg

Daz

LE
So the arse end of the cannon through the prop spinner was between the rudder pedals, then (more or less)...?
Yep, depending on the cannon the length it protruded varied accordingly

Just as a side note for @SPROCKET321 , you can also build a BF10914/U4 out of that kit

NSP

LE
test to see if there's enough wing clearance from the ground. Plenty of height there, time to move ahead with the wing construction.
View attachment 582649
I might have missed a post or two, or something - what's the diorama this time? Just a '109 in a full chat turn mid-dogfight or are you going for something a bit more "dynamic" like with the kamikaze getting shot down...?

I might have missed a post or two, or something - what's the diorama this time? Just a '109 in a full chat turn mid-dogfight or are you going for something a bit more "dynamic" like with the kamikaze getting shot down...?
the former, the problem with displaying aircraft is their wingspan, this gets worse the further up the scales you go, this is 1/32 and the wingspan is longer than 30cm, most shelves would see it with one wheel hanging over the edge, by rotating the aircraft so it's displayed banking, the model is taller, but a fraction of it's display depth.
wingspan over thirty cm.jpg

the cockpit part assembled with masking tape, quite a good fit, but as Daz mentioned, a simplified internal layout, most of which will be hidden by the pilot, when he arrives.
cockpit part assembled.jpg

Latest Threads