Beyond 200 deaths in Afghanistan: Analysis

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Skynet, Aug 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Beyond 200 deaths in Afghanistan: Analysis

In the two and a half months of the Falklands war, 255 British troops were killed in action.

By Colonel Richard Kemp, former Commander of British Forces in Afghanistan
    Published: 7:00AM BST 17 Aug 2009
    We have lost 201 servicemen and women in Afghanistan in the eight years since 2001.
    Why is this tragic, but much less intensive, casualty rate causing so much more soul-searching?

Because counter insurgency warfare is far more opaque than ‘conventional’ combat in its objectives and its progress, and because the government has been much more reluctant to brand the Afghan campaign a war and prepare the population of the United Kingdom for its consequences.
    Two questions must be asked when committing troops to battle, and frequently reviewed as the campaign unfolds, especially when critical points are reached, such as now.
    First: is the cause worth expending the lives of British soldiers? The cause is no less than the protection of United Kingdom citizens against terrorist attack at home and abroad.
    Nearly 150 defenceless British people were killed in the September 11 attack, the 2002 Bali bombing and the 2005 strikes in London.
    More
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/defence/6039198/Beyond-200-deaths-in-Afghanistan-Analysis.html

2. I'm not turning this political, but this is starting to get emotional. God bless those brave young men, I will never forgive this government for forgoing Defence spending for politically-sensitive areas of public spending.

However, this is not the end, the next government MUST commit resources to the operation.

3. I hope so,but don't hold your breath.