Beware the Cows of Death

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by guzzijon, May 15, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Aside from the obvious tragedy these attacks always seem slightly amusing in a theatre of the absurd sort of way, and I suppose it is probably so for the hapless victim, right up to the point the bovine bastards are kicking his head in. The killer cow season is upon us.

Cows kill man out walking with dogs | UK | News | Daily Express

I grew up in the country and I know cows to be generally docile and timid creatures and I can't recall any of these instances being reported when I was a boy. if there had been any concern either the farmers or our parents would have warned us off- especially as the dog was often out with us. So what's up with the cloven-hoofed twats?
  2. Have they got calves? They can get nasty if they feel their young are threatened (as can most animals).

(I know what you mean about the comic effect though - reminds me of Gary Larson cartoons).
    • Like Like x 1
  3. "His brother was airlifted to Frenchay Hospital in Bristol with broken ribs and a collapsed lung. He is said to be in a stable condition."
  4. I was always taught never to come between a cow and its calf.
    It's part of the Country Code?
    • Like Like x 2
  5. If his brother attempted to distract the herd of marauding bovines, he deserves a big pat on the back.
    • Like Like x 8
  6. I must confess I will go miles out of the way to avoid walking through a field of cows, though young bullocks are fine are they're usually just nosey.
  7. I grew up in the country too and heard of a few incidents like this. My parents also warned of not entering any field which contained a herd and their calves - any dog to stay on the leash as well....Even heard of farmers being killed by their own cows!
    • Like Like x 4
    • Like Like x 6
  8. Agreed BB, I love a nice steak.

Strangely I remember a farmer telling me that dairy cows were much more stroppy than the beef breeds.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Ditto.
    Rule is if they are bigger than you (or smaller) they have immense strength.
    When any animal has young do not go near. Very stressful for them as they think you are a killer.
    What would you do if it was your kids?
    • Like Like x 1
  10. mercurydancer

mercurydancer LE Book Reviewer

Cows are docile but in herds they can be oppressive. Not aggressive but protective. The sheer amount of the weight of tons of fattened animals crowding in on you can be very frightening. Its like 1:50am in a Hartlepool nightclub scenario.
    • Like Like x 3
  11. Just think 'Mumsnet'.
    • Like Like x 3
  12. I'm ashamed to say that one of my Border Collies is afraid of cows......
    The young 'un gives them a wide berth bless her.
    Still, In her defense, maybe she has a point.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. my brother in law worked on a farm for 30 odd years
    he said cows will always gang up if you have a dog on the leash
    he said if they start to surround you slip the dogs leash
    they will soon back off
    I tried it the dog went mental at them they soon backed off
    • Like Like x 4
  14. Yeah I have two Border Collies one very good with cattle and sheep the other not so good with cattle and larger! She ok but not so good as smaller one. Mind she would take on the U.S. Military if they get on wrong side!!
    • Like Like x 1