Beware scammers

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Cormank, Jan 30, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've heard this weekend about a scam which shouldn't affect anyone her directly however you may want to be aware of it.

I was speaking to a cousin this week end and she tells me that late last year, she was using and struck up conversation with someone claiming to be some spam Airforce General looking for love. His opening gambit was that he was currently on tour and that he would love to speak with her be due to connection limitations and security issues, she would have to get herself vetted and and account of some sort made.
    He said he would get her the account information that she would need to put £250 into.

She recognised the scam from the get go and proceeded to play along for a couple of months (not paying anything) - with requests to send things. His story got more and more extreme as she said she was going to book a flight to where ever he was and so on. Eventually around christmas she called his bluff and shopped him to match. told her they were aware of such people and even commented that one of their users "donated" over £11k to such a person.

So if you have any lonely female relatives with a chromosome missing, you might want to advise them accordingly.
  2. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

What is a 'get go'? Do you mean 'start'?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. How much did they scam you for?
  4. A stamp costs 36p right? I'm not much of a catch.
  5. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Shan't. It's a shit Americansim that has no place on our hallowed boards, go and wash your mouth out.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Ah. Perhaps I can help? Talking to cousins is frequently a mistake. Just because your Auntie popped a frog, it doesn't mean you are required to talk to them. The last cousin who tried to talk to me was fairly well dressed and said she worked in media. This did not stop me nutting the bitch and hoofing her into the grave of my Uncle Cecil.

Anyone who subscribes to is not a consumer. They are a desperate dismal ****** and thus, deserves all they get.

I do hope this helps, but since I have your attention? What the **** is a get-go?
  7. We can't possibly entertain or comment on this thread without seeing some pictures of the aforementioned cousin. Theres a good lad.
  8. Had to dig deep for something like what im sure you were asking for.. this is the best I can do.

edit: the one in the middle btw

and i'm taking the picture - the one on the right got refused entry as a rock for many reasons but mainly because he thought he knew better even though that was the only part of the RAF that even considered him. Big disappointment to his WW2 pilot grandfather - funny story :p
  9. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

A bloke knocked on my door the other day and asked to see my willy... he only wanted to see my willy before he left and boy do I feel silly scammed again .