Beware passing tabloid bandwagons

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by MrPVRd, Oct 25, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This is on the "petrol station soldier scandal" thread in the Int Cell as well.

The Daily Mail is not infallible and it pays to look before one leaps with both feet onto the passing bandwagon. An inflammatory story will generate newspaper sales, and you don't get your money back if they are wrong!

www.dailymail.co.uk/pa...ge_id=1770

2. Clickylinkything corrected - full text is as above

about what one would expect from the Mail :roll:

3. Nicely worded retraction that. It makes sure that you are aware that the children were made to do the exercise but that the papers only mistake was in getting the name of the responsible person wrong.

Clever.

4. In order to avoid libel, all they have to do was dissociate the named individual from the story, even if the story was still a load of bollox.

Nicely worded indeed, but only so far as necessary to prevent legal action by Helen Green.

5. I actually find the Mail quite balanced and reasoned - and very pro-forces. I don't have a problem with it's reportage style.

6. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Did you get lost on your way to the class A drug abusers thread? Can only imagine that you're indulging if you think the Daily Heil are balanced and reasoned.

7. Well, put it this way. There's not much I disagree with in this specific paper. I even like the odd picture of fwuffy kittons. There is not one single liberal chromosome in my body, so if the shit fits...? I just get a bit peeved with all the anti-DM ranting that it's a neo-Nazi rag read by institutionalised racists. It's worth it for Littlejohn and Hitchens alone. More importantly, they do occasional features of fat birds in underwear. Even Soldier Magazine won't push that envelope!