Beware - New Virus

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by skintboymike, Nov 20, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I feel duty bound to pass this email on;

"Hi All,
    I checked with Norton Anti-Virus, and they are gearing up for this virus!
    I checked Snopes , and it is for real!! Get this E-mail message sent around to your contacts ASAP.
    PLEASE FORWARD THIS WARNING AMONG FRIENDS, FAMILY AND CONTACTS!
    You should be alert during the next few days.
    Do not open any message with an attachment entitled
    'POSTCARD FROM HALLMARK,' regardless of who sent it to you.
    It is a virus which opens A POSTCARD IMAGE, which 'burns' the whole C: (hard drive) of your computer.
    This virus will be received from someone who has your e-mail address in his/her contact list.

This is the reason why you need to send this e-mail to all your contacts It is better to receive this message 25 times than to receive the virus and open it.

If you receive an email called' POSTCARD,' even if it is sent to you by a friend, do not open it!

This is the worst virus announced by CNN. It has been classified by Microsoft as the most destructive virus ever. This virus was discovered by McAfee yesterday, and there is no repair yet for this kind of virus.
    This virus simply destroys the Zero Sector of the Hard Disc, where the vital information is kept.

COPY THIS E-MAIL, AND SEND IT TO YOUR FRIENDS."

I'm never sure if these are legit or just scaremongering, but no harm in passing it on.

2. That's older than the hills mate. It is a legit virus warning (McAfee virus description: W32/Zhelatin.gen!eml) but it first appeared sometime in 2007, so I'll be damned if it's much of a risk to anyone with a half decent AV program now.

If anyone is worrying about the quality of their AV program, you can pick up an effective and free one at AVAST.COM which is pretty good.

3. Any message that contains a phrase like "COPY THIS E-MAIL, AND SEND IT TO YOUR FRIENDS" is nothing more than spam - a chain letter.

4. That was on my mind too, hence the rather dismissive tone to my post. It originated in SHAPE on a secure net, which led me to believe it was probably real.

As for the fact that this is an old virus; the message, when traced back to the original poster, is only two days old.

As stated in the message text, better to receive this message loads of times than to be caught out.

5. New circulation of old news. The papers are doing it all the time, honest. Check out SNOPES and you'll see that the message when originally circulated was almost identical in it's wording to the version you recieved. I think it may even have been posted on ARRSE in a similar fashion back then.

Either way, the virus isn't nearly as destructive as the message leads you to believe. It doesn't destroy your HDD in a hail of fire and brimstone, it's just a typical and annoying adware-gen type gimmick.

Decent enough of you to want to warn people just in case though.

6. I feel duty bound to call you a jerk.

7. Only Yanks and bedwetters use that term of endearment. You're probably both. :roll:

8. What, and cause a denial of service attack by spamming people's inboxes with shite like this? :roll:

9. Reference my last - delete "jerk", insert "fuckwit".

10. Much better. :)