• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Better toilets at Bisley?

EX_STAB said:
Henry_Tombs said:
To try and bring this back on topic; :oops: there is a half hour presentation in the umbrella tent on Tuesday 21st July at 9.00pm regarding future developments in Bisley Camp.

Link to NRA page re Bisley Developments
Bet it involves golf.....
That is a worry!

I was up there for the four days that the Civilian Service Rifle took place; as is my want, I had eaten my boil bag in the bag curry and taken a stroll with my mobile to declare my undying love for Mrs Tombs, (I have some darning which needs doing) we were talking as I strolled down from the clock tower and I could hear shouting coming from somwhere, my tinitus is now so severe I tend to ignore a lot of noises until I get a tap on the shoulder.
There on the 1000 yard point on target No1 was some tw@t waving at me with a golf club, I noticed all around me at that point a load of golf balls, it would appear that I had walked into his practice zone on Stickledown, all this at 10.00pm!

My own thoughts are that the area on the left (old cookhouse) where the NSRA were hoping to build an hotel is likely to become a development like the St Georges Lodge complex which is to the left again between the Lord Roberts Centre and Derby Lodge (TA Club House).
I am thinking of going up that night to see what they propose, if I do I will probably stop at at Fleet Service for a pee first!

I had been thinking of calling for an amendment to the Camp Rules: "Prohibition of Golf"...

In fact in the case you described, he was already in breach of Camp Rules in that all ranges, butts and danger areas are out of bounds outside of shooting hours. Not that anyone takes any notice.

EX_STAB said:
You don't see the British Lawn Tennis Association trying to merge with the Squash League (or whatever) just because they both use racquets.
That's probably not a fair analogy. A better one would be if swimming and diving had different governing bodies; or if in athletics, the runners and the thrower had different governing bodies. I'm fairly convinced that a single body is the best way to apply mass to funding organisations and governments.

After all, the international governing body for shooting sports (the ISSF) Is unified.

Having a single point of contact for press etc. stops the counterproductive stuff; and I would hope stop any attempt at "divide and conquer" tactics by future governments out to grab populist votes. If I want to try my hand at shotgun or fullbore, why should I pay multiple affiliations with their multiple insurance covers? Or have three smaller less interesting journals?

Gravelbelly said:
EX_STAB said:
You don't see the British Lawn Tennis Association trying to merge with the Squash League (or whatever) just because they both use racquets.
That's probably not a fair analogy. A better one would be if swimming and diving had different governing bodies; or if in athletics, the runners and the thrower had different governing bodies. I'm fairly convinced that a single body is the best way to apply mass to funding organisations and governments.

After all, the international governing body for shooting sports (the ISSF) Is unified.

Having a single point of contact for press etc. stops the counterproductive stuff; and I would hope stop any attempt at "divide and conquer" tactics by future governments out to grab populist votes. If I want to try my hand at shotgun or fullbore, why should I pay multiple affiliations with their multiple insurance covers? Or have three smaller less interesting journals?
You don't have to belong to any of the organisations to participate in any discipline.

The GBTSF already should be doing the job you describe.

Gravelbelly said:
[

...unless you want to shoot non-ISSF disciplines, in which case the ISSF will actively conduct a high-profile misinformation campaign against you if you are IPSC......

stoatman said:
Gravelbelly said:
[

...unless you want to shoot non-ISSF disciplines, in which case the ISSF will actively conduct a high-profile misinformation campaign against you if you are IPSC......
In Gravelbelly's mind there is NSRA smallbore and "everything else"
:roll:

It's exactly the mindset that has caused so much damage in the past.

I reckon 1500 ( rifle ) ought to be an Olympic event. That would inject a bit of interest.

EX_STAB said:
In Gravelbelly's mind there is NSRA smallbore and "everything else"
:roll:

It's exactly the mindset that has caused so much damage in the past.
Nope - in my mind, we're all shooters, and it's only by acting together that we can oppose ignorance and hysterical posturing by politicians. If there had been a single body, perhaps the NPA wouldn't have felt so alone in 1997.

Ironically, I've spent more time than most in multidiscipline teams; I'm the strange one who tries to explain disciplines to others....

EX_STAB said:
I reckon 1500 ( rifle ) ought to be an Olympic event. That would inject a bit of interest.
The problem is the IOC's insistence in bowing to the TV dollar by including sports like football and tennis. All worthy, but there's a limit on the total number of athletes and officials. Shooting has been squeezed hard; running target has just disappeared from the program; fullbore went after 1976.

If you want a new sport added, something has to go. It's just strange that it's OK to stab people (fencing), but not OK to shoot at them (IPSC).

EX_STAB said:
You don't have to belong to any of the organisations to participate in any discipline.

I know I don't have to belong to the governing body to participate; but if I took up the discipline seriously it would be sensible - to support the sport, to get cheap insurance for my kit, to access coaching or RCO training, etc.

As for GBTSF (now known as "British Shooting"), it was formed because UK Sport and the Sports Council before it insisted on dealing with a single governing body per sport; this avoids them having to listen to a lot of interdisciplinary arguments. It's purely an umbrella over the existing bodies for funding access; you can't join it or vote for its chairman. Its constitution etc aren't well set up to be the basis of any NATSS.

The other issue is that GBTSF is purely target shooting; that wouldn't exactly suit game shooting, or practical events. The downside is that once any single body becomes "political", the ISSF gets all twitchy about dealing with them; for instance, the NRA of America isn't the US governing body for Olympic events; it's USA Shooting. Apparently the ISSF regards the NRA of America as more of a political pressure group, less of a sports governing body... Can't think why. On the other hand, the Deutsches Schuetzen Bund seems to do OK as a single body.

Gravelbelly said:
EX_STAB said:

I know I don't have to belong to the governing body to participate; but if I took up the discipline seriously it would be sensible - to support the sport, to get cheap insurance for my kit, to access coaching or RCO training, etc.

As for GBTSF (now known as "British Shooting"), it was formed because UK Sport and the Sports Council before it insisted on dealing with a single governing body per sport; this avoids them having to listen to a lot of interdisciplinary arguments. It's purely an umbrella over the existing bodies for funding access; you can't join it or vote for its chairman. Its constitution etc aren't well set up to be the basis of any NATSS.

The other issue is that GBTSF is purely target shooting; that wouldn't exactly suit game shooting, or practical events. The downside is that once any single body becomes "political", the ISSF gets all twitchy about dealing with them; for instance, the NRA of America isn't the US governing body for Olympic events; it's USA Shooting. Apparently the ISSF regards the NRA of America as more of a political pressure group, less of a sports governing body... Can't think why. On the other hand, the Deutsches Schuetzen Bund seems to do OK as a single body.

"The Encouragement of marksmanship In the interests of Defence" Is the only criteria that is of any real significance.

EX_STAB said:
"The Encouragement of marksmanship In the interests of Defence" Is the only criteria that is of any real significance.
Idealistic, yes. But realistic?

I certainly worked hard at becoming a better battle shot; but how do you sell it to the ten-year-old girls at the pony club doing biathlon with an air pistol?

A couple of posts ago you accused me of being NSRA-centric; be careful with those sweeping statements...

Gravelbelly said:
EX_STAB said:
Idealistic, yes. But realistic?

I certainly worked hard at becoming a better battle shot; but how do you sell it to the ten-year-old girls at the pony club doing biathlon with an air pistol?

A couple of posts ago you accused me of being NSRA-centric; be careful with those sweeping statements...
Check the time: It is Sweeping Statement O'Clock, :)

Henry_Tombs said:
There on the 1000 yard point on target No1 was some tw@t waving at me with a golf club, I noticed all around me at that point a load of golf balls, it would appear that I had walked into his practice zone on Stickledown, all this at 10.00pm!
There's what is effectively a driving range on the roof of my clubhouse and a former clubhouse manager canoed on Century when there was severe flooding a few years back! :D

Gravelbelly said:
[
If you want a new sport added, something has to go. It's just strange that it's OK to stab people (fencing), but not OK to shoot at them (IPSC).
AARGH! IPSC has NOTHING to do with shooting people any more, that's the impression ISSF wants people to take away.

IDPA, on the other hand...