Better toilets at Bisley?

It would appear that the Olympic Committee did not give Bisley the correct appraisal it desrved.

Notice on NRA site

I would rather they held it elswhere as it's only going to fcuk up the LERA and HBSA Mid and Long Range for 2012; mind you there is a plus point, all those caravans sent for scrap! :)

We could have had better toilets at Bisley if they hadn't spunked £100,000 up the wall on this NATTS bollox.

ugly

LE
Bisley is a toilet or at least appears to be due to the large amount of unflushed floaters occupying the buildings marked NRA.

Interesting article setting out the winners and loser in the Olympic Legacy stakes.

Yes Shooting sports get cr@pped on but seems we are in good company:

Sports with No Legacy:

ARCHERY £3m
BADMINTON £16m
BASKETBALL £61m (yes, really)
EQUESTRIANISM £10m
FOOTBALL £1.3m
GYMNASTICS £17m
MODERN PENTATHON £Nil as a venue share
SHOOTING £20m (or maybe £42m)
TENNIS £1m
TRIATHLON £7m
VOLLEYBALL £5.5m

BOXING, FENCING, JUDO, TAEKWONDO, WEIGHTLIFTING & WRESTLING £24m

Net cost for all this nothingness (per the 2004 bid numbers so going to be way low) £158.8m, so £200m+

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ot...n-2012-Olympic-Legacy-winners-and-losers.html

Can you imagine what national range facilities could be built at sites across the UK for £42,000,000 pounds?

EX_STAB said:
We could have had better toilets at Bisley if they hadn't spunked £100,000 up the wall on this NATTS bollox.
The latest Rifleman reckons the NRA have tried to derail the whole NATSS project by refusing to amalgamate, costing everybody £££ because the entire point of NATSS (and the destination for 99% of its funding) was solely to get the NRA, NSRA and CPSA to join together!

I wonder if it's going to take the outright rejection of Bisley as the Olympic venue to start a clean sweep of the dinosaurs in the NRA?

studentfeckwit said:
EX_STAB said:
The latest Rifleman reckons the NRA have tried to derail the whole NATSS project by refusing to amalgamate, costing everybody £££ because the entire point of NATSS (and the destination for 99% of its funding) was solely to get the NRA, NSRA and CPSA to join together!

I wonder if it's going to take the outright rejection of Bisley as the Olympic venue to start a clean sweep of the dinosaurs in the NRA?
Well I'm an NRA member, not a dinosaur and I didn't want to see the amalgamation. I think NSRA could be dissolved and brought into the NRA but CPSA is a completely different beast, there's just no reason to amalgamate them.

You don't see the British Lawn Tennis Association trying to merge with the Squash League (or whatever) just because they both use racquets.

ugly

LE
EX_STAB said:
studentfeckwit said:
EX_STAB said:

Well I'm an NRA member, not a dinosaur and I didn't want to see the amalgamation. I think NSRA could be dissolved and brought into the NRA but CPSA is a completely different beast, there's just no reason to amalgamate them.

You don't see the British Lawn Tennis Association trying to merge with the Squash League (or whatever) just because they both use racquets
#

but why should the NSRA amalgamate with the NRA, surely the accomadating idea would be an even share of everything but then again who really wants the Palma coach writing the training plan for 10 metre air rifle?
To be honest the dinosaurs are the organisations rather than the members, despite the spin about "its your NRA" getting members to sit on committees and dare it even vote, those tw@ts lost us SLR's, pistols and soon even shooting will go the same way as there will be no justification. In 1988 the nRA lost its right to charitable status, no fecker told them or the charity commission, it wont take long for the penny to drop though will it? Mind you its on par with several public schools on that score, promoting selective elitism and using the ordinary shooter to fund this. What grated was the support our GB team begging letters. Cnuts what do you think we do by turning up and shooting?
That said why should classic rifle and section 7 pistol support the GB rifle team?

EX_STAB said:
You don't see the British Lawn Tennis Association trying to merge with the Squash League (or whatever) just because they both use racquets.
Strength in numbers - how many more people play tennis compared to the total of shooters in the country? How much legislation is aimed solely at tennis? Do the government and police have special departments set aside for regulation and control of tennis rackets and balls?

For what it's worth, I think amalgamation is the only way ahead. Shooting as a sport needs a single voice at the top, similar to the MCC for cricket and the LTA for tennis. How else can we resist more attempts at banning "guns" of all descriptions - look at the SNP's plans to ban airguns in Scotland! If we had a nationwide association with the clout to speak up against stupid things like that (dare I say it, like the American NRA...), we may be able to avoid something like the 97 Act happening in the future.

All shooters are under one organisation in NL, the KNSA, and I can't say I'm entirely chuffed with their monopoly position... Many disciplines, however, are simply recognised by the KNSA and run autonomously by their respective orgs (IPSC, Silhouettes, etc) and yet more are not even recognised but still go on (Western stuff, for instance). All shooters MUST be KNSA members, but only CLUBS have a vote at KNSA level... grrrr

studentfeckwit said:
EX_STAB said:
Strength in numbers - how many more people play tennis compared to the total of shooters in the country? How much legislation is aimed solely at tennis? Do the government and police have special departments set aside for regulation and control of tennis rackets and balls?

For what it's worth, I think amalgamation is the only way ahead. Shooting as a sport needs a single voice at the top, similar to the MCC for cricket and the LTA for tennis. How else can we resist more attempts at banning "guns" of all descriptions - look at the SNP's plans to ban airguns in Scotland! If we had a nationwide association with the clout to speak up against stupid things like that (dare I say it, like the American NRA...), we may be able to avoid something like the 97 Act happening in the future.
You make my point for me, MCC for Cricket, not MCC for Cricket, rounders, baseball, golf and anything else where you hit a ball with a stick.

Having a small body called say, "British Shooting" ;) with representatives from all the disciplines and organisations is a great idea but it doesn't need a merger of three of the main bodies.

Don't forget that CPSA doesn't even cover Scotland or Northern Ireland. What about the Muzzle loaders Association of Great Britain, British Skeet Shooting Association, Lee-Enfield Rifle Association, HBSA, British Airgun Shooters' Association, British Western Shooting Society and teh Elephant in teh Drawing room, BASC?

Should they all be forced to merge?

They should all support a central office for political matters but the "sports" don't need merging.

EX_STAB said:
Having a small body called say, "British Shooting" ;) with representatives from all the disciplines and organisations is a great idea but it doesn't need a merger of three of the main bodies.

Don't forget that CPSA doesn't even cover Scotland or Northern Ireland. What about the Muzzle loaders Association of Great Britain, British Skeet Shooting Association, Lee-Enfield Rifle Association, HBSA, British Airgun Shooters' Association, British Western Shooting Society and teh Elephant in teh Drawing room, BASC?

Should they all be forced to merge?

They should all support a central office for political matters but the "sports" don't need merging.
I concur with my learned friend; can we get back to the toilets now? They got a mention in the 2009 AGM minutes. :)

NRA AGM 2009 Minutes

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
Beerhunter said:
The Ladies on Century has had an OoO notice on it for two years to my knowledge. Has no one complained? :eek:
Even at the CENTSAM shoot at Century, one had to find the least p1ssy corner to add some more to the general stink and malaise.

I didn't think for one moment that an institution or place with the pedigree of Bisley would have turn-of-the-previous-century black-painted brick out-houses for toilets, many of which of in a (scuse pun) sh!te state.

I presume the Bisley bid for the Olympic shooting venue included a large amoutn of expenditure to fixing the place up?

Edited to add: Ok, here we go:

John Carmichael - Life Member NRA
Ian Brown has just touched on a point I was going to raise. I have been saddened by what I have seen around Camp as regards maintenance and the cleanliness of Camp, particularly the cleanliness of toilets.

I know that matter has been raised recently and I was rather surprised to see today a group of people actually clean the toilet with bleach and doing a proper job of it but I look around and I see leaking taps, I see leaking pipes I see water cascading down.

In the ladies toilet just over there you will see a leak which has which has probably wasted a million gallons and the NRA can’t afford to lose money like that. The state of the maintenance on the Camp is not just down to the shortage of money. It is down to it just not being done.

I live in a 15th century house, which has 4 inch thick walls, timber and all that sort of thing, I is very old but it is not dirty. This place may be old but it is not as old as my house but it is dirty. If you look across to the NRA offices the gravel there is full of weeds and the road along the side of the NRA offices between Fultons and the NRA offices is full of mud which grew weeds last year and is growing weeds this year. I look around the telephone boxes and I see old leaves and dirt and dust that has been there for 3 or 4 years. On the other side of Fultons, last weekend there were 3 or 4 rusty old barbeques that have been there for 5 years. Various other metal frameworks have been there 3 years.

I walk around the site and I see a lot of things on this site just down to simple maintenance not being done. Last year I saw a road sweeper and I thought wow this is good, there were 2 soldiers in front of it with shovels digging the mud out of the side of the road so that the road sweeper could actually pick it up. I discovered afterwards and I think I am correct in saying the Army paid for that because they were too embarrassed for their senior officer to come here and give prizes in such an untidy place. I would just like to see the simple maintenance done before this year’s Imperial Meeting because I have had so many comments over the years from overseas visitors who come to this place and say what a wonderful place can’t somebody keep it just clean and tidy, dig the weeds up etc. I know there are lots of pot holes and I know they are going to cost money to do and I know they are wear and tear but the cleanliness of the Camp is another matter. It needs attending to and now.

Chairman

You’re quite right in that we have got to get a grip on many of the things you are talking about, certainly one of the items I was very well aware of was the state of the toilets. I was even threatened to be marched into one of the ladies’ loos and have a look at them. We have got new contract cleaners and I am glad to hear that you have seen how they are behaving, you have seen them cleaning once but that is better than not seeing them at all. We will have to keep monitoring them and make sure that they are delivering what we want. But yes there are other things that we need to do and I am sure that within the resources that we have available between now and July we will do what we can to improve the general look of the Camp but time is now short and it may not be quite as spick and span as you and perhaps I would like.

John Carmichael
There is one other point I forgot to mention and that is the club houses around Camp have a responsibility of their leases to actually have then re-decorated every 7 years. That can be enforceable and was indeed enforced several years ago. The thing that worries me to look around Camp, behind the odd building, behind the odd shed is rubbish just thrown. One I will just mention is the Inns of Court, if you go down to the Inns of Court, there used to be a swimming pool, where it used to sit underneath the trees is a pile of old sofas, again it is the sort of rubbish that must have been there for years, they are not in view but there are other places on Camp where such rubbish is in view.

The toilets are in particularly poor state but it is the buildings/huts they are in. All they need to do is revamp them like plaster the walls and cover up the holes at least. Plus just a bit of minimum maintanence and clearance of spiders ;) and they should be fine???

Also the male/female signs coiuldbe a litlle more obvious, I came out of the one at century range and a male walked straight in, think he may have been a litlle slow though :mad:

SantaSpud said:
Also the male/female signs coiuldbe a litlle more obvious, I came out of the one at century range and a male walked straight in, think he may have been a litlle slow though :mad:
A little slow?

No I was hurrying to sniff the loo seat you had just vacted! :)

Was there yesterday...... it's still the dump I remembered. Every year I note this, but my venom is increasing year on year, so says Mrs Stoat...

stoatman said:
Was there yesterday...... it's still the dump I remembered. Every year I note this, but my venom is increasing year on year, so says Mrs Stoat...
I was there yesterday as well - you should have called for an Arrse RV.