Better than the SLR

Discussion in 'Old & Bold' started by wet_blobby, Feb 8, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. We all know the SLR was the dogs danglies, could shoot down a deathstar just by being cocked, let alone unleashing the big boys 7.62 love slug.

So got me thinking what else was better than today's kit. This has probably been done before but **** it, I 'm a computer biff and cant find the thread. I nominate the Itchy shirt. Once that thing had been relentlessly washed, ironed and washed and ironed again it was comfy as ****, you could iron it with a bit of starch and wear it all day and it wouldn't get creased, unlike that pile of crap that replaced it. Iron that crap, put it on, move or God forbid sit down and lean on something and it was creased to **** for the rest of the day.

• Like Like x 3
  2. I loved those green plastic belts. Not.

The belt and those horrible green plastic barrack dress trousers.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Boots - wtf is going on with boots these days? Spotted in eleven ******* colours and you can't even polish them - where is the fun in that? Also I bet these new feckers aren't going to last 10 years with the starting to get comfortable phase after about a year of daily use.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Gloves NI

• Like Like x 4
  5. Just taken one off to type this reply. Mnnnnnmmmmm nice.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Tropical combat trousers

• Like Like x 1
  7. Nylon Tank Suits, you were pretty much guaranteed to crap in the hood on your first shovel recce.

8. Green Covies were the mutts, especially when pressed for stable parade. Now that was smart.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Black ones always looked so much smarter on Horse Guards!!!

10. White buff belts (not!). Them 'uns you had to clean with white gutty paste and as soon as you put them on it all flaked off.

But they still looked better than the placcy ones.

GMOB

11. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Here you are chaps; khaki furry shirts, Dems Ma Shoes, puttees, and 2 tone denims with weights in.

CIMG1266e.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  12. Ahhh DMS, got issued 2 pairs when I went through Gib Barracks in 84 as they had run out of Combat Highs.

13. Mav

Mav Old-Salt

Yup

Was the DPM on those deliberately a different shade of green? Or was it just a result of the different material?

14. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

Ah, Green Covies + belts and twists = Star Trek order. Most guaranteed to make a man feel un-warry.

15. 24 hour rat packs (not 'ORP') with condensed milk in tubes and Mars Bars - mmmmmmm

• Like Like x 3