• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

betalights.....actually any good?

tgo

Old-Salt
Is it tritium or something? I like the 'no batteries' idea but would like it bright enough to use too.

tgo

Old-Salt
Actually that's a good shout, I've got one of these in my car, pretty good too.

Don't think I paid £16 for it though.

grrrr wtf does it keep going to [media] and not showing.....

fcuk it it's called .
Power Plus Barracuda LED Solar/Wind-Up Torch
on Amazon.

What torch do you currently use for map reading?

As per above, a wind up torch could be useful as could a solar powdered torch.

There are torches with a winder and solar cell from as little as a fiver.

Actually that's a good shout, I've got one of these in my car, pretty good too.

Don't think I paid £16 for it though.

grrrr wtf does it keep going to [media] and not showing.....

fcuk it it's called .
Power Plus Barracuda LED Solar/Wind-Up Torch
on Amazon.
I've got two in my house and one in my car. Freebies from the local petrol station. They are quite good!

A betalight may be more "tactical" than your average white light, wind up torch but the light from them can be a bit, meh! They do last a 'kin long time but cost a pretty penny as well.

I got one of the old style ring shaped ones from ebay a few years ago, dirt cheap & brand new. Sold it to a septic for a tidy sum some time later as it wasn't up to much.

I have to add I wasn't using it in a military setting so wasn't bothered by light discipline.

sorry boys mass answer...

these are tritium from what I understand

good shout on the wind up, I have a small one that I will give a go but I doubt itll be robust enough

im using a small white light that takes 3 watch batteries stacked vertically. its good but spares are ballache.... especially in the dark sleeting sideways in otterburn shaking like a shitting dog.

the brightness is my main concern, it says 750ul which I presume is 0.75 of a lumen??

Isn’t the point that it isn’t?

Over a couple of metres it’s going to be virtually invisible unless observed directly.
Over a 10cmx10cm area it will be readable without being visible to someone a way away.

Green light because the human eye is more sensitive to those frequencies.

tgo

Old-Salt
True, if you need it in the field*, but for those of us not studying the map on 'the balcony' something that produces a smidgen of light might be better.

*I'll admit to not knowing if the usage needs to be covert or not, so I apologise if it is.

interesting about the green light, it makes seeing woodblocks on the map a ballache though.

main use will be in the field, map reading, absailing from helicopters into embassies, sabotaging vehicles belonging to ex-members of the royal family, stag lists.... usual stuff....

white light is a must but how bright is 0.75 millilumens in a practical sense?

I have some which came into my ‘possession’ about 35 years ago when they were removed from lynx blade tips. Now down to less than half brightness but still good enough for tactical map reading. Not that I would consider such a thing these days...

I used one of these:

16930F92-4F89-47B0-840B-3A9FFCCC3AA0.jpeg

A Gerber Recon. They take 1 x AA battery and seem to run forever. Bright enough to use as a normal torch (on the white light), perfect for map-reading on blue/red/green.

Extremely robust as well.

I was on about uglyfatgit who I now understand means gerbers not betalights.

those gerbers are decent, my brother has one and rates it. plus the blue light is handy for tracking blood trails a la predator

Now we know this is for military use it makes it a fair bit harder as the light source has to be robust.

Another way to tackle to the problem is to use batteries that are easier to change, as changing three stacked watch batteries is hard enough in the house on a table let alone in the field :)

Whatever the solution is it has to be light years ahead of those massive 'T' shaped map reading torches that used to be issued (I hope something better is on offer now!

A quick look through the 'Torch Direct' website would show up some small but robust torches that while they use batteries would use the 2/3 AAA size batteries so would last well and be easier to change.

Latest Threads