Best Zombie Film

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Tartan_Terrier, Feb 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I like a good old fashioned zombie film on occasion, as I'm sure many other ARRSErs do too. There's nothing else quite like watching the cannibalistic hordes of undead wandering about in search of prey, and having their heads blown off in the process.

Obviously there are many good ones to choose from, not least George Romero's classic Night/Dawn/Day of the dead trilogy, or indeed our own home grown films such as 28 Days/Weeks Later, or the more light hearted Shaun of the Dead.

Personally I think my favourite is probably the original version of Dawn of the Dead. Lots of action, gore, and blatant consumerism to boot. What else could you ask for in an apocalyptic scenario?

For a totally different reason (Milla Jovovich), I'm also a fan of the Resident Evil series.

So which are your favourites and why?

T_T

2. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

Dawn Of The Dead - the original, natch. Brain Dead is also a total giggle from start to finish as well.

Not quite a zombie film, but in a very similar vein to Brain Dead and Shaun Of The Dead, is an NZ film called Black Sheep - picked it up in one of those '3 for a tenner' deals in HMV without knowing anything aboput it, and laughed myself silly.

3. Never heard about Black Sheep. Is it about undead mutton on the rampage? Being attacked by a killer rack of lamb?

How do you kill them? Mint Sauce?

4. Braindead, have you seen that ******* film?!

5. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Dog Soldiers is technically a werewolf film but it sits nicely alongside the zombie genre.

6. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

World War Z is a good Zombie book, that is being made into a film i think...

7. Yes that man! Picked that book up in New York last year and was completely enthralled the whole way through, I would recommend it to any zombie genre lovers out there.

8. chrisg46

Just dont read it by yourself, at night...

9. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

If you are talking about braindead, shambling, unintelligible grunting, then I can recommend any Marlon Brando film, or anything by Ingmar Bergman. Not strictly zombie films, but certainly reduced me to one.

10. I feel less of a pansy knowing I'm not the only one who feels that way :oops:

11. WWZ is an awesome book, are they really making a film?

Oh , and if your computers up to it , play this : Too good

"The guys at work used to laugh when i hit the rifle range at lunch. Not so funny now is it?"

Heh. :lol:

12. just glad i live near caerphilly castle
    have you got your zombie evasion plan sorted?

sat through a bit of the night of the living dead remake on itv4 last night
    load of gash, not a patch on the original

i loved the original dawn of the dead
    and although i liked the new & 28days etc(& i know they're not zombies)
    real zombies can't run
    which spoilt the zombified big brother thing last october

try watching that alone
    in a strange hotel
    whilst you're away on a course in london
    on halloween...

oh yes, pissed too :wink:

13. chrisg46

Allegedly...

Have a look for some supposed concept art of the Battle of Yonkers. To be honest though, i think the book would come over better as a mini series, but some of the sequences are potentially amazing, such as the escape from India over the Himalayas. The Chinese SSBN story would be interesting too.

14. Read WWZ back when i was in chatham, the lads looked a bit strangely at me when they saw i had a book titled 'the zombie survival guide' on my shelf. The WWZ story could make a great film, the problem is its too easy to ruin a zombie film.

I watched 'zombie diaries' (not diaries of the dead) and i thought that could have been done so much better, it was a good effort for a low budget film, the opening featured a short bit with one of the local TA regiments where it was filmed clearing an agricultural area... but it turned out to be rather slow paced for my liking. dawn of the dead original is my person favourite.

15. The first zombie film I saw was 'Zombie Flesheaters' (seemingly also known as Zombi 2, once again I learn something new on IMDB.com).

It wasn't bad, but the zombie Conquistadors annoyed me even at the tender age of 11. For some reason I couldn't swallow the idea of bodies buried for 300-odd years suddenly coming back to life. The recently dead, fair enough, but not corpses who really should have rotted away centuries ago.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080057/