Best/Worst Battalion Sized Battle

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by jonwilly, Apr 23, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gents I have just finished reading Not Ordinary Men, The story of the Battle of Kohima by John Colvin.
    A description of a Soldiers battle.
    The Author almost goes as far as to say that it was the actions of the 4th Battalion of the Royal West Kent Regiment a TA battalion that saved the day and in stopping dead in it's tracks the Japanese 31st division saved India from invasion.
    A stirring tribute to this fine Battalion and British Arms.

What would be, from our informed members the 'Small scale' battle/engagement that stands out as the greatest feat of arms by a unit of say Battalion size.

john

2. In modern times 2 Para at Goose Green, Gloucesters at Imjin.

History changing events such as the RB, KRRC and QVR at Calais in May 40 or Ox and Bucks at Nonne Boschen on 11 Nov 14.

3. 3 RGJ and the KORBR in Colchester on their joined main parade square in about 1989! Now that was a battle!!

4. 2nd Worcestershires action at Polygon Wood in 1914 which stopped the German advance on Ypres and the channel ports.

5. I’ve read accounts of both 2 Para at Goose Green and the Gloucesters at Imjin. What I’d really like to see is an exposition of them in the same way as Dave Sabben did for Long Tan. Click on this linky and download his Long Tan Power Point Presentation. It is very impressive.

Imagine Mt Tumbledown or Kapyong given the same treatment.

Power Point, who knew it was so good?

Cheers

Mick

6. Gloucesters at Imjin would get my vote that whole human wave thing sounds a total nightmare.

7. Mount Longdon gets my vote as the classic battalion sized battle.

8. I was there mate, do you remember who the guard commander was who sat hidden on the parked saxons with a set of NVG ? what a c unt!

Happy days though :D

9. So many to choose from....

Here goes..

Modern (post 1945)

2 Para Goose Green?
    3 Para Mt Longdon
    SG Mt Tumbledown
    Argylls Aden
    Glosters Korea
    Probably 2 Para as it set the tone for subsequent operations and the damage to Argentine morale.

WW2 (By theatre)

NW Europe-
    2 Para Arnhem Bridge
    2 Commando St Nazaire

North Africa-
    2 RB/ 239 Bty RA Outpost Snipe

Far East-
    4 QO Royal West Kent Kohima

Italy-
    Don't really know much about the Italian campaign, the Irish Guards at Anzio?

Have to think a bit more about WW1

Pre WW1-
    Worst-
    24th Foot Isandlwana (not the fault of the troops though)

Got to be a few from the Boer War as well- Spion Kop/ Black Week?

Virtually impossible though to single out an Bn individual action especially in both World Wars.. too vast a subject.

What we should remember is that every Regiment and Corps in the British Army has actions of which to be justifiably proud, most of which are largely unknown to outsiders.

What matters is that we don't forget them.

10. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Only British Bttns?

11. Sorry to be picky but you've just done a massive injustice to the men of the Assam regiment, the Assam Rifles as well as numerous other units, the garrison of Kohima numbered around 2000-2500 so far larger than a battalion.

12. Outstanding Power Point presentation

13. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

15th Hussars at Sahagun 21 December 1808. I could give you a precis but it's all on Wiki.

14. A composite light battalion against 1st Legere at Maida, I forget the date. Peter Young uses it in his History of the British Army to illustrate the succes of line against column

15. The Royal Dublin Fusiliers assault on V beach at Hellfire corner, during the battle of Gallipoli 25/4/1915 . Although many battalions took part in the battle, it was given to the men of the 1st btn RDF to establish the beach head on V beach.
    They were aboard the vessel HMS River Clyde, when the ship was rammed onto the beach. Under extreme machine gun fire from Turkish/German troops stationed above the beach, the RDF soldiers managed to not only establish the beach head but to hold it until reinforcements arrived. Their actions that day cost the lives of nearly every man in the battalion. In fact, so heavy were the losses that the remnants of the btn were later amalgamated with the 1st btn the Royal Munster Fusiliers and were referred to as the Royal Dubsters.
    My Great great uncle Pte Tommy Shannon was one of the soldiers killed at Hellfire corner and is named on the Helles memorial. Something of which his family is rightly proud but which was probably unnecessary, due to the disaster that was Gallipoli. :salut: :salut: :salut: