Best/Worst accomodation & food

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by polar, Feb 24, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well name and shame .... and praise.

In the best category

Strensall, York - large rooms with few beds & rump steak on the menu (if you go late). Near to a city with many bars and a good selection of beers

Imphal, York - small rooms with few beds. See above

Worst - Edinburgh. - Vast rooms with bunk beds, PAYD - good breakfast but disgusting lunch and tea. Near to a city with obnoxious bouncers & 3rd world choice of beers.

Close 2nd Altcar, Lancashire. Poorest accommodation I've ever seen, excessive amount of bunk beds per room but food ok (mmm black pudding). Local village has good pub with a rather large choice of ales and amusing 'posh' scousers.

So to sum up, if it ain't in Yorkshire its not worth going to.
  2. All northerners must die.
  3. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Best - Brecon Infantry Battle School. The accommodation, when you're not out in the hills, is shockingly civilised. Would be better if yoou didn't have to double everywhere.

Worst - Rowlston (sic?) Camp, Wiltshire. The cookhouse was so bad I ended up digging out the emergency rations from my webbing.
  4. So you want to kill the Northerners and let the French invade. Leeds vrs London is class vrs Chav.
  5. Best - Winterbourne Gunner. Double beds, en suite bathrooms and store room en suite. Very high standard. Even the PAYD is tolerable.

Worst - Edinburgh castle. Rooms haven't been decorated since the 17th century. The'd probably think I was exagerating if I decribed it. A perfect example of PAYD not working.
  6. Best, any Crab accom, worst..Donnington by a mile, no glass in some windows, showers cordoned off with mine tape and sinks held together with Black nasty, no heating and no hot was ok though.
  7. Agreed on that, however, fcuk all on camp and the taxi fare to Sailsbury is a rip off :evil:
  8. When the hell did you go to altcar? Food was shite when i did...
  9. Best - Lympstone, Warminster, HMS Excellent, HMS Raleigh, RAF Lynehan, RAF Brize Norton

Worst - your mum's place! :lol:
  10. I seem to remember Block House at Gosport being ok.

Worst Sennelager or closer to home Deverall Bks at Ripon. The camps falling apart (although the staff try to keep it clean). The food is absolute gash.
  11. Best - I'll have to second Strensall. Don't have much recollection of the food, so it couldn't have been that bad, and the accomodation was absolutely mint.

Worst: SENTA. Alright, it's waterproof and there's glass in the windows, but that's all it's got going for it. Showers either don't work or are freezing cold, and they're not even in the same building. Nor are the toilets. Or the sinks.
    OTOH, breakfast there is great and even better for not being PAYD. 2 bacon AND two sausage? Score!

And for what it's worth, I didn't think Redford Bks was too bad. Heating and hot water worked, and the food was alright - short on portion size, but no worse than any other cookhouse.
  12. Feck me, I must have stayed at a different one.

It was a sh1tehole when I was there.
  13. Well it seemed ok compared to what I was used to.
  14. msr

msr LE

208 Battery, 103 Regiment RA(V) for the last 2 weekends.

Quite possibly the best (quality, range and quantity) food I have ever had in the TA.

Passing the GPSO course and finding out that there is a FOO course running May - July has made this the best w/e this year!

15. Food:

Best: Anything by Danny, he's wasted as MTO HAC

Worst: French camp at Mostar