Best weapons / optimum calibres

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
Optimum calibre ?

Depends on your tgt and your own physical build.
2500gn projectile with 24 drams of propellant up it's arse will sort out most problems that breathe within fifty metres, but you'll be unlikely to get much practice.
Nor will it be offered in a lightweight version.

But it is pretty.

"Nobody who had fired this weapon once, wished to fire it again..." may apply.

TamH70

MIA
"Nobody who had fired this weapon once, wished to fire it again..." may apply.
I would not like to fire it once, thanks very. I value what's left of my shoulder too much.

Optimum calibre ?

Depends on your tgt and your own physical build.
2500gn projectile with 24 drams of propellant up it's arse will sort out most problems that breathe within fifty metres, but you'll be unlikely to get much practice.
Nor will it be offered in a lightweight version.

But it is pretty.
Made for the man who`s just won the lottery and has no idea what to spend the money on .

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Made for the man who`s just won the lottery and has no idea what to spend the money on .
Saying you'd not have one if you could ?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Nope , no interest as it has no use what so ever , I`d use that money to buy a nice 12g S/S sidelock or even a pair.
For that money one purchases a trio, one's people reload.

TamH70

MIA
Not for me either, chaps.

I'd spend the money on the Blessed Trinity of Russian gats - an OTs-14-4a "Groza 4", an ASM-"Val" and a VSSM "Vintorez". All chambered in 9x39mm for easy logistics support.

The MOD have released their requirements for the rifle for their Special Operations Brigade. I take it that means the 'Rangers' that have been discussed here.
There are some weird requirements in there.
Why do they feel the need to define what an Armalite rifle is?

Tbf, most western rifles are armalite - based wrt to their working part, apart from FN-C.

I wonder if there is any practical difference in velocity between the heat retained within the rifle with the plastic cartridges and that lost with conventional brass or is it more just marketing. It may end up like the SCAR where it was a new flash toy that was ultimately found to not do much more than the M4 it was to replace. The evals/comparisons will show either way especially in the squad automatic weapon/LMG/LSW role.
I enjoy this guys video's and he presents pretty well but take them with a large grain of salt. He was mech inf with a few years under his belt (maybe LCpl equivalent). His understanding of 'why's and 'how's' is pretty limited and opinions seem largely based on google searches.

I do like MG 6.8 and MG 338 Sig is offering.

gafkiwi

War Hero
Idlib Bullpup

A bull pup AK wouldn't be the top of my list for AK mods or versions in sandy places with a variety of dodgy ammo. The working parts attempting to part from the rifle through the top cover (now cheek weld) seems to be common enough with AK's I've encountered to be a "No thanks".

Latest Threads