Best weapons / optimum calibres

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
There's plenty of time available, just an utter lack of prioritisation of the most basic of Inf skills.
Since when was competence with your personal weapon, a relevant military skill that anyone cared about?

That's such twentieth-century thinking...

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Apart from the FN2000 are there any other practical designs ?
plenty. In addition to those listed by terminal,
The Keltecs don't count, the Deserttech is unproven and not yet adopted, but I do wish it well.

the Polish Grot rifle in its bullpup form can be fired from the left shoulder.
That's one.

bullpups with charging handles that are non reciprocating or located elsewhere (AUG and Tavor) generally can as well, albeit sometimes with slightly unusual hold.
So don't count.

There's plenty of time available, just an utter lack of prioritisation of the most basic of Inf skills.
Which suggests that the importance of shooting off-handed is greatly exaggerated.
Nonsense.
If anything it suggests that the importance of shooting at all is greatly ignored.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
The Deserttech must be changed, (in the field,) to be shot from the other shoulder so it doesn't reach the practical level of the FN.
You can, but you don’t have to.
Doesn't that make you wonder why they designed the covers to be removed ?

It's like having a sharp scabbard on a bayonet, "you can remove it but you don't have to."

No.

If you had to switch the covers over to fire weak sided, I’d be wondering why they bothered developing the cover that redirects forwards.

I see it as a bullpup that can be easily set up for your preferred side but that you can still switch sides without having to change anything.

Maybe it’s more like a battlesight setting for a rifle? You can set it to a particular range, but you don’t have to for the majority of the time.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The ARX160 has a swappable ejection capability.
IIRC with the bolt held to the rear, the cocking handle hinges through the breech and clicks in position on the opposite side (ports both side of the receiver), also swapping the ejector claw grab thingy (too early.... :hmm: )
Not quite, the bolt on the ARX 160 has two ejector in it, at the approx 7 o'clock and 5 o'clock positions. There is a sliding perforated plate to the rear of the assembly that can be pushed laterally across the rear face of the assembly and depending on the side you want it two eject you push the plate across using the tip of a bullet. As the bolt travels backward the rear tips of the ejector either pass through a hole on the plate or strikes it.

Swapping the charging handles across just changes the side on which the bolt handle travels.

The Beretta system is the one I've been playing with most recently (design), altering the lateral plate to a verticle sliding plate that is operated by an ambidextrous sliding button on the outside of the upper. My second version is a rotating block that's is operated by a single twist lock switch on the the top plate. Both variations have a non-reciprocating charging handle. Both seem to work well in modelling. The next issue I need to work out is a linkage system between the plates/block and the ejection port covers so that only one action is required to completely swap over, instead of two or three. This is the current headache in my life

Last edited:

ugly

LE
This is the current headache in my life
Remember keeping the concept simple may cause more issues with training, some things are best left as improvements often cause further issues, more than they cure!

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Remember keeping the concept simple may cause more issues with training, some things are best left as improvements often cause further issues, more than they cure!
As is the vertical sliding plate coupled with nicking the ejector port cover system from the Tavor is my favoured method, complete swap over without tools in less than 10secs (will get faster with practice I reckon)

Then I'm chuffed you're not in procurement or R&D.

SASC perhaps.
To expand:
I don’t wonder because The thinking behind the removable and interchangeable plates seems quite clear. You can pick up a rifle configured to either side and shoot it from either shoulder without difficulty. If you wanted to optimise it for a particular side (so the brass doesn’t fall on your supporting arm) then that is easy.

Also you can remove the covers to deal with stoppages and cleaning.

It's like having a sharp scabbard on a bayonet, "you can remove it but you don't have to."
Ian and Karl at InRange both used the same Deserttech at a competition not too long ago where they didn't bother changing over the ejection port from one side to the other even though one shoots right handed and the other shoots left. They said having it on the "wrong" side didn't hinder them.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Ian and Karl at InRange both used the same Deserttech at a competition not too long ago where they didn't bother changing over the ejection port from one side to the other even though one shoots right handed and the other shoots left. They said having it on the "wrong" side didn't hinder them.
Understood, but why have two systems for the same result on one wpn ?
Which was designed first and what faults occurred in such numbers as to make the other necessary ?

Which was designed first and what faults occurred in such numbers as to make the other necessary ?
So You can pick up a rifle configured to either side and shoot it from either shoulder without difficulty. If you wanted to optimise it for a particular side (so the brass doesn’t fall on your supporting arm) then that is easy.

Also you can remove the covers to deal with stoppages and cleaning.

As noted by @incendiarycutlery , it is shootable from either shoulder without change, but if you want to optimise for a particular side you move the ejection port. So if you are left handed you can move the ejection port to the left side, but if you just want to take a few shots from the left shoulder you can leave the ejection port on the right and still shoot it effectively.

I want to note here that I am not claiming that the Deserttech MDR is an ideal rifle overall, I'm just clarifying that it is shootable from either shoulder without going through any contortions.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I want to note here that I am not claiming that the Deserttech MDR is an ideal rifle overall, I'm just clarifying that it is shootable from either shoulder without going through any contortions.
Appreciated, but I believe that investigation is very important when choosing eqpt.
An explanation from the designers/constructors can be good, but their bottom line is to sell so their public version of events might not be gen up. Viz. L85A1.

Another example is to see what spare parts are included in the CES. Are they present because the manufacturer doesn't employ satisfactory QC measures, is it a "known fault" that they cannot or will not solve or is there another reason ?

Over complicating anything is never a good idea, generally it just leads to more components to fail.

Latest Threads