Best weapons / optimum calibres

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
With a rifle of conventional layout it can be fired from the left shoulder.
The L85A1/A2 is cunningly designed so that on firing a round the cocking handle will remove or smash a number of the firer's teeth.
Any subsequent rds will clear out the remaining teeth.

Soup's nice anyway.
There are a number of bullpup rifles that can be fired from the left shoulder. Some with modification, others with none.
There even appear to be drills for the SA80 shouldered on the left
(no firing though)

I’ve a recollection of a comment attributed to the IDF, along the lines that they barely had range time to properly train from the strong side so priority for weak side shooting was a distant low priority, which jibes with repeated comments on here about the lack of range time.
Shooting left side also doesn’t seem to be too much of a problem for other weapon systems, notably the shoulder launched recoiless weapons or, reaching back to antiquity* Sterling’s and LMG/Brens

* :p

NemoIII

Old-Salt
Everyone complains about it only being right handed, how many lads use the SS/LMG/GPMG left handed? None?

tgo

Old-Salt
It's not like its beyond the wit of man to design one with moving parts that are arm neutral, making it right only was just lazy. (mind you the SA80 was probably designed late 70's so maybe they couldn't back then)

Moving forward though, it shouldn't be an issue.

It's not like its beyond the wit of man to design one with moving parts that are arm neutral, making it right only was just lazy. (mind you the SA80 was probably designed late 70's so maybe they couldn't back then)

Moving forward though, it shouldn't be an issue.
The only standard (for issue to everyone) infantry rifle which the UK has used which was completely ambidextrous was the Martini-Henry.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
There are a number of bullpup rifles that can be fired from the left shoulder. Some with modification, others with none.
Apart from the FN2000 are there any other practical designs ?

There even appear to be drills for the SA80 shouldered on the left
(no firing though)
On the advice of the RADC.

I’ve a recollection of a comment attributed to the IDF, along the lines that they barely had range time to properly train from the strong side so priority for weak side shooting was a distant low priority, which jibes with repeated comments on here about the lack of range time.
There's plenty of time available, just an utter lack of prioritisation of the most basic of Inf skills.

Shooting left side also doesn’t seem to be too much of a problem for other weapon systems,
RSAF probably hired a young thruster from a new university to come up with a snappy marketing title for their latest, (both long and late in production,) piece of hardware.
Designing one firearm and fitting a few with heavy bbls does not make it a "system."
That the army bought into this ridiculous idea shows blind obedience to the printed word rather than actual thought was (is ?) the mark of the SASC.
(The RADC comes before the SASC in the order of precedence, maybe that's not just coincidence.)

Otherwise a sack becomes a transport system.
Just a personal irritation.

notably the shoulder launched recoiless weapons or, reaching back to antiquity* Sterling’s and LMG/Brens
The SMG no problem, but you've not used the Bren/LMG have you ?
Anyway, very few of the above wpns have a cocking handle that reciprocates in the space where one's cheek would be if shouldered on the left.

Apart from the FN2000 are there any other practical designs ? (...)
Keltec RFB - forward eject.

Keltec RDB - downward eject.

Desertech MDR - It ejects forward from a small opening beside the breech. You can readily swap the ejection side quickly in the field, but it's not necessary to do so in order to shoot it from either shoulder. InRange are big fans of the 5.56mm version.

I have no direct experience with any of them and so can't offer a personal opinion on them.

There may be others, but I've just picked ones which are commercially available today and are "rifles" (as opposed to something like the P90).

The ARX160 has a swappable ejection capability.
IIRC with the bolt held to the rear, the cocking handle hinges through the breech and clicks in position on the opposite side (ports both side of the receiver), also swapping the ejector claw grab thingy (too early.... :hmm: )

ugly

LE
Hell no; I have a buddy who has one of their KSG shotguns and a weird folding carbine thing. Both nasty pieces of plastic crap.
I've shot a few of their rifles, wasnt convinced about clearing stoppages but basically a sound idea and no less squaddie proof than any other weapon system bought since the long bow.
Just hearsay then eh?

They are well known for being budget firearms, okay as sporting / toys for the civilian market but very unlikely to be squaddie proof.
There’s not a thing on this planet that’s squaddie proof.
Apart from the FN2000 are there any other practical designs ?
plenty. In addition to those listed by terminal, the Polish Grot rifle in its bullpup form can be fired from the left shoulder.
bullpups with charging handles that are non reciprocating or located elsewhere (AUG and Tavor) generally can as well, albeit sometimes with slightly unusual hold.

The SMG no problem, but you've not used the Bren/LMG have you ?
Anyway, very few of the above wpns have a cocking handle that reciprocates in the space where one's cheek would be if shouldered on the left.
Can’t say as I have used the Bren but, as with most of the others, the sights are mounted to the left of the gun so using them left handed would require some contortions that go against good marksmanship principles.

There's plenty of time available, just an utter lack of prioritisation of the most basic of Inf skills.
Which suggests that the importance of shooting off-handed is greatly exaggerated.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Keltec RFB - forward eject.

Keltec RDB - downward eject.

Desertech MDR - It ejects forward from a small opening beside the breech. You can readily swap the ejection side quickly in the field, but it's not necessary to do so in order to shoot it from either shoulder. InRange are big fans of the 5.56mm version.

I have no direct experience with any of them and so can't offer a personal opinion on them.

There may be others, but I've just picked ones which are commercially available today and are "rifles" (as opposed to something like the P90).
I'd forgotten about the Keltecs, possibly because they're civvy items. Not yet shot them so can't comment myself but haven't heard any reports raving about them.
The Deserttech must be changed, (in the field,) to be shot from the other shoulder so it doesn't reach the practical level of the FN.

Latest Threads