Best weapons for FIBUA we should have... but dont

TamH70

MIA
I always fancied one of these if things got up close and personal.

I play a lot of the STALKER game series titles, so I've ran into the Vepr-12 quite a bit, (tis a popular mod), but I fan boy squee over the Saiga-12, its cousin. There's also a mod that lets you use a heavily customizable one in Fallout 4 and it's ridiculous how good it is for CQB work in interiors. Especially with the 20 round drum magazine, which I've just found out is a real thing.

View attachment 423767

The thing in the foreground of that pic would be darn useful - open the door, shove it in, shut the door, wait for the screams to stop :)
Unfortunately the Alien isn't real...

Honey Badgers, on the other hand, do exist...

I play a lot of the STALKER game series titles, so I've ran into the Vepr-12 quite a bit, (tis a popular mod), but I fan boy squee over the Saiga-12, its cousin. There's also a mod that lets you use a heavily customizable one in Fallout 4 and it's ridiculous how good it is for CQB work in interiors. Especially with the 20 round drum magazine, which I've just found out is a real thing.
I had a little play with one a few years back, not to shoot though, and it's a delicious little handful of fun.

It seemed really well put together as well. It may just be an AK shotgun but the build quality was a step up from the rifles.

I thought the idea was to clear a house not half the planet.
I really hated top-floor entries. For me, FIBUA usually consisted of, "Carrots is a big lad. Give him the grapnel" followed by a solid day of upper-body exercise.

TamH70

MIA
I really hated top-floor entries. For me, FIBUA usually consisted of, "Carrots is a big lad. Give him the grapnel" followed by a solid day of upper-body exercise.
I've only done FISH once, on exercise, natch, as I was a STAB Scaley. I was shit but I enjoyed it. Bloody hard work though. I managed to avoid top-floor entry - we went in through the front door and things flowed on from there.

Small, camera-equipped, commercial off the shelf, drones. Feeding images taken at low level back to commanders and troops. Ubiquitous in Syrian urban fighting and very useful, judging by results. Seeing around corners, behind vertical cover, enemy movement, weapons/artillery flashes, and results of own artillery, including fire correction.
The drones used in Syria seem commercial. They don't appear ruggedised and may be regarded as expendable. It could be the way to go - you could get many cheap, short life, drones for the cost of an equivalent made for MoD use.
Said a couple of years ago that if I were still involved I'd have bought myself two PDQ and built an adapter to get them recharged on my vehicle. For urban work a model to deliver a grenade would be useful, but that would need to be custom built/modified.

morsk

LE
You take that back, it's in constant use by Col Jack O'Neill and the rest of SG-1!
I had to google that. I believe that that is sci-fi isn't it? Plus he is american, and therefore, gay

Said a couple of years ago that if I were still involved I'd have bought myself two PDQ and built an adapter to get them recharged on my vehicle. For urban work a model to deliver a grenade would be useful, but that would need to be custom built/modified.

Some debate if this is actually real or not... but is this what you're thinking?

Daesh seem to have a lot of history of using off the shelf drones for covering capability gaps, for stuff they can't get a bloke to attend in person.
In the case above, its understandable, I mean who looks up, especially when there's more immediate threats to your front. It would seem even the helmet blocks out the peripheral vision upwards. I wonder if there's a new role for the reserves/overwatch elements. Give them something for anti-drone work, assuming a DMR or similar isn't going to cut it.
I really hope somewhere in the Army there's people thinking about this stuff.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer

Some debate if this is actually real or not... but is this what you're thinking?

Daesh seem to have a lot of history of using off the shelf drones for covering capability gaps, for stuff they can't get a bloke to attend in person.
In the case above, its understandable, I mean who looks up, especially when there's more immediate threats to your front. It would seem even the helmet blocks out the peripheral vision upwards. I wonder if there's a new role for the reserves/overwatch elements. Give them something for anti-drone work, assuming a DMR or similar isn't going to cut it.
I really hope somewhere in the Army there's people thinking about this stuff.
Given that overwatch Ajax was binned...

Can't see the video, but as a recce car commander I'd use a drone to fly up out of the wood, or over the ridge line, or into the first few buildings of a village, always displace it laterally so even if it's seen it's not a clue as to exactly where I am. I don't need to get close, just enough to report '20+ MBTs in grid square 4528 heading North' at minimal risk to myself, or to see my next tactical move wasn't going to end up with one of those "Oh F*** moments' as you spot the T72 at 200 m head on. Compare the cost of one of those RAF 5 Sqn things and a drone from Amazon and realise that 'every vehicle gets 2' will give you a shed more information, where it's tactically needed, at a tenth the cost.

How about a gang of "deprived yoofs" from Sarf London, all tooled up and attitude safety off?

They seem to be in charge of our capital at the moment and the Mayor of London is clueless. Probably even provide their own uniform if they get a fair go in the local Sports Direct football aisle.

No need for secure comms as no one can understand the patois anyway.

Best bit ? They'll all be under sixteen and at no risk of war crime show trials by Phil Shiner and his mates!

Be like a UK version of the Hunger Games!

Last edited:
Given that overwatch Ajax was binned...
For covering the airspace above your forward elements, against drones, I would suggest the current Ajax, and its 40mm CTWS with all the fancy AA rounds it has is the perfect weapon system. IIRC you asked what is Ajax for over in the Chally thread, maybe that's the answer. Rear link, local anti-drone work, and controlling its own drones and sensors to gather intelligence, from just behind the forward elements?

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
For covering the airspace above your forward elements, against drones, I would suggest the current Ajax, and its 40mm CTWS with all the fancy AA rounds it has is the perfect weapon system. IIRC you asked what is Ajax for over in the Chally thread, maybe that's the answer. Rear link, local anti-drone work, and controlling its own drones and sensors to gather intelligence, from just behind the forward elements?
Sorry, I was unclear. I meant that overwatch even in the traditional sense has been given a budget-driven ignoring. It makes me dubious as to whether emerging threats are being considered.

Your point about the gun is a good one. However, no-one has really come up with how to adequately address swarming drones. Canister rounds? Directed-energy weapons? I'm not convinced we're there yet.

However, 'from just behind the forward elements'? Reconnaissance should be forward. CVR(T) certainly used to be.

If having a vehicle operating and controlling from behind the forward elements is what you're after, I'm not sure it comes in the form factor of Ajax. You'd be better with something with rather larger internal volume for monitors and people, and rather more external carriage. Closer to an ACV than the IFV-like form of Ajax. Or some flatbeds.

And you'd probably be really keen to have a very good mast-mounted sight.

Last edited:
The problem with fighting in tight confined dark compounds is concussion waves unsettling you with that in mind sonic cannons to make you spew lose your balance and stagger out of cover into the sights of your cover man

Something like this ?

download.jpg

Link to Shield

Light-ish at 20 kilos and a couple of bods can get in behind

Im sure it would increase confidence and allow for extra protection when you have unknown ahead

Latest Threads