Best way to train with only two runs a week?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by JayCam, Oct 18, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. First off: 2 runs a week is not my only training. My other 2 sessions are attending Britmil fit and then do press ups and sit ups every night.. so with that cleared up.

Britmilfit is excellent but it doesnt leave me much time to focus purely on running and I have noticed that although I am much fitter, I am not running as quickly as I used to as I am not practising this specifically.

So instead of going to britmilfit 3 times a week I have changed my routine to the following:

Monday: Running
    Tuesday: BMF
    Wed: Cycling
    Thursday: Running
    Friday: Rest
    Sat: BMF
    Sun: Light cardio (walking or swimming generally)

So with those two running slots how do you think I should be using them to gain maximum benifit. Before I learned about BMF I was running 4 times a week, 2 steady runs, one long run and one speedwork session. This balanced out really well but I am having trouble deciding how to use only two sessions a week. I dont think a sprint/interval session is needed since BMF has alot of that kind of thing. Perhaps one slower interval session (half mile intervals etc) and one long endurance builder? What do you think?

Cheers,

J.

2. I would look at doing a farlek run on the Monday and then a nice long slow run on the Thursday before your rest day (dependant on how far your cycling was. I would still try and get down on the track/football pitch once a month for some speed work and try and get some stamina on the hills once a month. Variation is best but know you limits and run with somebody if you can.

3. That sounds like an idea wih the Fartlek. Maybe alternate Fartlek and football pitch intervals perhaps? Cycling is never very long or hard, just a way to burn off some calories/stress and have a semi-rest day.

As for hill runs, ALL my runs are hill runs lol its impossible not to come accross some kind of steep gradient around here! But I have been having the urge to go for a proper hill run at some point so maybe a good idea.

I just applied for a place in the Edinburgh marathon so one of those runs DEFINATELY has to be a long run now.

J.

4. If you are looking at a marathon, you definatly need to start increasing the amount of run sessions youdo per week, I would suggest something like:

Mon - Steady state 30 - 40 mins recovery run
    Tue - BMF
    Wed - Cycle 50 mins medium pace
    Thu - 40 min Fartlek
    Fri - Steady state 30 - 40 mins run
    Sat - Rest
    Sun - Long slow run 1hr +

Increase your long run time each month by no more than 10% and incorporate plenty of stretching into your routines.

Happy running and remember, only a runner who has compleated a marathon can call himself a marathon runner! :D

5. Cheers. I was thinking today that I need another running session in there per week. Starting my marathon training tomorrow, going to be running with my aunt. Going a 7 mile trial run to see how we compare to each other. I have a feeling I am going to be far outstripped for endurance (shes a long distance runner) but will be considerably faster so will need to find a compromise in our training. Should be interesting!

Will do a couple of weeks at 2 runs per week and add another one when my body gets used to it. Maybe move the cycling to the rest day and take it easy...

J.

6. why not do a shorter run on the same day as BMF.

yeh, your BMF will be harder, but thats the goal isnt it?

7. I agree, you could try running in the morning if your BMF is in the afternoon.

8. Great minds. I was just thinking that I could potentially do a 20 min jog after each BMF session as a way of doing a bit of extra cardio and cooling down after the session. Will leave it a few weeks before trying this though, just jumnped back into a structured program for the first time since I was in martial arts training... dont want to get injured... REALLY dont.

J.

9. Thats a good idea, but bear in mind you might loose interest and not want to do it after the session so doing it before may be better.

10. [quote="5.56mm]Thats a good idea, but bear in mind you might loose interest and not want to do it after the session so doing it before may be better.[/quote]

True but I have a feeling I would do the run, start BMF and on the first sprint rip every muscle and tendon in my legs lol. If I do it the other way round then I can take it easy on the run if need be.

Also I usually have energy for a run after BMF.. not much mind you, but some ;)

J.

11. True but I have a feeling I would do the run, start BMF and on the first sprint rip every muscle and tendon in my legs lol. If I do it the other way round then I can take it easy on the run if need be.

Also I usually have energy for a run after BMF.. not much mind you, but some ;)

J.[/quote]

Fair enough then, lol. Whats wrong with doing it in the morning? Do you like your lye ins? lol.

12. lol I have no probs working in the morning, but usually I have DOMS from the previous day. Like to stick to morning, evening, rest day patter seems to work quite well. I go to BMF on a sat anyway so its in the morning.

Just back from first marathon training session. 5 miles in 55 mins. Not super speedy but my training partner is out of practice.. looking forward to seeing the clock drop! 7 miles next week end and 9 the weekend after. I antipate hardship when it gets to the 14 mile plus runs.

J.

13. One last word of advice, listen to your body, don't try and do too much too quickley, if you have got DOMS take a rest day, don't run through injuries and incorporate streatching, before, during and after your runs.

Oh and another thing..... forget distance for the moment, just run for time (if you are planning an hours run, then thats what you should do) the key at the moment is getting your muscles used to running for long periods. When you are able to run for over 60mins at a time you can then look at entering a 10K race for the experience of running in crowds.

Oh and finally, keep a diary, write down all your sessions including the type of training, time of day, time spent exercising, what you ate before/after. As you improve you can look back and learn from your diary what has worked and what hasn't.

Good luck

26.2 the distance a runner is measured against!

14. Thanks for the advice! I am keeping a diary on www.runningahead.com which is a brilliant site if anyone is interested in starting a running log.

J.