Best way to stick it out?

Discussion in 'OTC' started by UselessStudentNo1, Oct 3, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey,

I'm looking for advice on what the recruiters at the OTC are looking for. Most people will get in but not everyone. And I'm definitely not the fittest person to join.

I am not particularly fit, and my upper body strength is absolutely dismal. I have begun an exercise regime and as soon as I'm allowed I'll start using the OTC's gym (I can't really afford the university one...). In my interview I made it clear that I have an aspiration to be an officer in the Artillery and that I'd be fully involved with the OTC.

My issue is probably being fully involved. Because of my fitness I will not be particularly good at sports. I will join in as much as I possibly can to improve my fitness and show I am committed to it though. I've already decided that I'll try and get onto some sort of parachuting weekend and other adventure training, hopefully that'll help me overcome my fear of heights and show I'm willing to muck in and improve regardless of my fitness. Is it better to just go at it running or slowly become more involved as my fitness (hopefully) improves?

Also, this weekend I have to go away for selection... Has anyone been on one of these? Can they tell me how to go about it? I imagine it's a lot of bleep tests and other physical things... I basically want to put in maximum effort but I don't want to haul myself over the finish line looking like an idiot, out of breath and drenched in sweat.

I have turned up for every single event the OTC has put on for new recruits (out of a few hundred I was one of only 80 to do this, so that's got to be a good sign, right?) and I'm pretty sure I've given a good impression to the second and third years (they wet themselves with laughter at some of my antics on one of their organised chaos events).

P.S. If there's a thread that covers all this please direct me to it... I had a look but none of them really give all the information I'd like to know, and a lot of it's out of date given the changes the OTC has gone through.
  2. As gash as it sounds, be yourself and as long as you're a decent bloke the OTC will probably take you. Just give it your best effort and pull your weight. Also, UOTC selection weekends aren't anything particularly difficult. There's usually a gentle run, some command tasks and talk-about-yourself lecturettes. Nothing to worry about.
  3. "I basically want to put in maximum effort but I don't want to haul myself over the finish line looking like an idiot, out of breath and drenched in sweat."

Totally, totally wrong. If you haul yourself over the finish line, out of breath and drenched in sweat, then you have demonstrated an ability to put effort in - the single most important attribute you can demonstrate at selection. The standard required on the phys is "best effort", and if you look like you haven't put your all in then you'll look crap - even if you get a good time.

Although important to the Army, phys isn't the only thing - get stuck in on the command tasks, work hard, show that you aren't a kiddie-fiddling sociopath, and you should be fine. I'd suggest getting on top of your phys, because the training, although manageable, will be a lot more fun if you aren't breathing our your arse.

And although I can't vouch for just how diabolical your phys is, there were some people at my selection who passed who you would have to be a triple amputee to get beaten by.
  4. Now this is just hypothetical, but if I was, hypothetically, a kiddie-fiddling sociopath, how would I best go about pretending I wasn't?

Just, you know, hypothetically speaking. As a hypothesis.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Try the old 'double-bluff' method. Put down 'I'm a kiddie-fiddling sociopath' on your application.
  6. I'd be worried they'd think I'd meant to apply for the clergy and sent it off to the army by mistake.
  7. OK well I'll definitely do my best then, I'll just carry on practising to improve what my best is! This may be a silly question, but what are command tasks?
  8. UOTC selection weekends differ vastly from UOTC to UOTC. The theme of best effort (ie giving it your all) is common to all though. Telec is correct in what he says.

As for the info being out of date, that probably only applies if you're after joining YUOTC (Sheff/Leeds) or NWOTR (Manc/Liverpool) so the info might be still useful if not one of the new "super units"

Command tasks; Command Tasks - ARRSEpedia ;)
  9. I knew a few guys in the OTC during my brief university career and most of them never wanted to join the army, just treated it as a drinking club and wearing their pink shirts around campus, the 2 that actually wanted to get to Sandhurst failed AOSB. I can't speak for every OTC of course so this may have been a bad bunch. Anyways the point is that the OTC isn't a deal breaker. Concentrate on fitness above all else (except studies) because it is very easy to lose it with the uni lifestyle. If you're a fresher I'd suggest taking this year to get to a solid level of fitness (you don't really need a gym, bodyweight exercises should suffice) then consider going for the OTC next year.
  10. You join the ACF. :)
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Well ARRSEpedia seems a useful tool, though having had a look at a couple of other articles whilst I was there I realise it's more of a joke than a serious guide to military wisdom!
    It is one of those two OTC's! But still if giving it your all is the general rule then I suppose that's what I'll do.

Cheers guys :)
  12. In answer to the thread title I suggest you ask Porridge Gun I believe he has previous for that sort of thing.