Best way to dry out a car?

Discussion in 'REME' started by Older_by_the_day, Dec 13, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have an old banger that I'm slowly running into the ground, at the moment the windows are ALWAYS covered in condensation on the inside.

With the heater being knackered and the weather being quite cold of late, this usually means even if I cover the windscreen at night I have a layer of ice on the inside.
    It's quite annoying carrying armfuls of kitchen rolls out to the car to wipe the windscreen and rear window every time I leave it alone for a while, took me +30mins to defrost this morning too!

Does anyone have any ideas on a good way to dry it out, I know it may come back again, but even if it had to be carried out once a month I would be happy!
  2. I've got the same problem in my car (3 years old). I just scrape the insides too, makes a lovely snow effect on the dashboard.

But its very annoying, like you say.

3. Had the "snow" effect on my dash this morning :)

Quite frustrating!
  4. Two possibles.

Electric dehumidifier - costs from about 40 quid odd.

Chemical demumidifier/moisture absorber - costs about a fiver but doesn't last long.

I use a couple of these in my old banger and they work well enough
  5. Milk bottle, newspaper, petrol.
    take car to secluded spot,
    fill bottle with petrol,
    insert newspaper, rolled first,
    place on front seat of car,
    light paper,
    walk away,
    contact police from home, confirming car stolen,
    voila! one very dry car and a pocket of money for new item :D :D
    hope this helps :D :D :D
  6. Is it a Volkswagen group car? If so, it may be a soggy pollen filter which you should be able to change for a few quid.
  7. Alternatively of course you could just drive your car to Barbados or Hawaii that should cure the problem as well.
  8. you could route out the source of the problem first, if its old are you sure there are no holes in the floor letting water in?? wet carpets or upholstery will produce the symptoms your having, as will the damp pollen filter that Fluffy describes.

Have you got any bin lids? Step ASS spilt a bottle of water in the rear footwell in my old car and i suffered interior misting for a week afterwards till i found out why...
  9. Hang it on the line. Or whack in the dryer... Make sure you use a "Bounce towel"
  10. Cheers Steven, I think the dehumidifier mighht be the way ahead, I'm guessing that it might take a rather large amount of silica gel/desiccant to dry out the jalopy. Will have to pop to the shop to have a look for one this evening.

TheHatsRevenge... you wouldn't believe how close I've come to that!

FB, unfortunately it's an N plate Vauxhall Vectra, apparently notorious for letting moisture in.
    If only I'd been allowed to buy a small reliable car instead!
  11. A liberal application of Preperation H on the dash will do the trick.
  12. No kids but wouldn't be surprised if there's a dodgy seal somewhere (not the type that balances a ball on it's nose unfortunately).
    I've removed everything (apart from the upholstery) that could be a cause, my only guess is possibly the boot seal; a friend mentioned that the problem is common in this make and model.

To be honest I'm beyond spending too much on the car, I just need it to last for the next 10 months.
  13. Drying room overnight?
  14. Unfortunately my farmer giles need prep H more than the car :wink:
  15. park it in your front room with the heating on full.