Best way to cook Bratwurst ?

I was never lucky enough to be posted to Germany, only did the odd exercise. I remember enjoying Bratwurst but that was 15yrs ago & I was blind drunk. I got some today from LIDL. Is is best to Grill, them or fry them. If frying them should I use oil and are they best done in a frying pan or a cast iron skillet type thingy I have from IKEA that puts lovely black lines on the food. Many thanks indeed.

BBQ is the weapon of choice, but failing that, the George Foreman is how I cook mine.

Taste mungeous.

Killaloe said:
I was never lucky enough to be posted to Germany, only did the odd exercise. I remember enjoying Bratwurst but that was 15yrs ago & I was blind drunk. I got some today from LIDL. Is is best to Grill, them or fry them. If frying them should I use oil and are they best done in a frying pan or a cast iron skillet type thingy I have from IKEA that puts lovely black lines on the food. Many thanks indeed.
oh well i'm a bit familiar with german food :lol:

ok first of all the bratwürstchen from lidl aren't really good i'm afraid :oops:

next time try to get them somewhere like here ;)

usually a bratwurst should be grilled ... you can fry them in a pan too but you will get the best taste using a grill
use charcoal and pour just a very little of beer over them short before they're done
you will love them this way i'm sure :)

enjoy preparing and enjoy your meal :D

btw - they taste best with some currysauce ;)

YesItsMe said:
Killaloe said:
oh well i'm a bit familiar with german food :lol:

ok first of all the bratwürstchen from lidl aren't really good i'm afraid :oops:

next time try to get them somewhere like here ;)

usually a bratwurst should be grilled ... you can fry them in a pan too but you will get the best taste using a grill
use charcoal and pour just a very little of beer over them short before they're done
you will love them this way i'm sure :)

enjoy preparing and enjoy your meal :D

btw - they taste best with some currysauce ;)
Selling any YIM? :wink:

The best way to enjoy them is to open the tin/pack and flush them straight down the toilet, effectively cutting out the middle man. Bloody horrible things.

Hell Yimster,

That picture of the German sausage reminds me of the time 'Ole Pow' gave me some sage advice about a woman I was about to get involved with 30 year ago.

" Now you watch your work here, because she has got a tusch like a horse's collar - you mind to keep a five bar gate on your back otherwise you will fall straight in and I'm not coming round to pull you out "

The clue is in the name - BRATwurst - from BRATEN, to grill.

Bockwurst are usually boiled, although I'm not sure that there is such a German word as BOCKEN. :)

JoseyWales said:
Hell Yimster,

That picture of the German sausage reminds me of the time 'Ole Pow' gave me some sage advice about a woman I was about to get involved with 30 year ago.

" Now you watch your work here because she has got a tusch like a horse's collar - you mind to keep a five bar gate on your back otherwise you will fall straight in and I'm not coming round to pull you out "

obviously you managed not to fall in ... otherwise you wouldn't be here now :lol:

hairyarse2 said:
The best way to enjoy them is to open the tin/pack and flush them straight down the toilet, effectively cutting out the middle man. Bloody horrible things.
there is an old geman saying 'Über Geschmack kann man nicht streiten'

or as the french say 'Chacun à son goût'

and to make it easier for you 'There is no accounting for taste' in english :)

Many thanks indeed, it's pi$$ing with rain here in Gods wee country so no Barby, but will grill them and russle up some curry sauce. I did scan the shelves at LIDL looking for some curry sauce but they had none. Would some hot curry powder mixed into some Tomato Ketchup be best or should I get a portion of curry sauce from a take away ?

putteesinmyhands said:
The clue is in the name - BRATwurst - from BRATEN, to grill.

Bockwurst are usually boiled, although I'm not sure that there is such a German word as BOCKEN. :)
:lol: you're absolutely right :)

it's Bockwurst because you used to have them with Bockbier
so they took over part of the name ;)

and right again - you boil them :)

Bar-B-Q, serve with German mustard and beer..........end of.

Killaloe said:
Many thanks indeed, it's pi$$ing with rain here in Gods wee country so no Barby, but will grill them and russle up some curry sauce. I did scan the shelves at LIDL looking for some curry sauce but they had none. Would some hot curry powder mixed into some Tomato Ketchup be best or should I get a portion of curry sauce from a take away ?
you can try to mix some yourself ... though i'm afraid you will be disappointed in the end
there is only one real curry sauce - it's this one

if you're interested in getting some - i would start another charity thread with some bottles indeed ;)

the auction would take a cpl days though *and sending to the uk another 3 days ;) * ... let me know if you're interested in :)

Ok you lot,

Now I'm confused - I just poured out the pan of water I was going to do my lot in and I now have the beggars on the griddle.

Another tip if you are not into kraut - bake a beef tomato with a red pepper and a large onion. The onion cooks within it's self and it has the same juicyness as a fried portion. Chop up the wurst and add to the baked stuff.

Now pour on the sauce.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
billybongo Cookery 58
Markintime The NAAFI Bar 28
M Sappers 85