Best watch for usage in the field

Baby G Shock. I can confirm they are bomb proof.

Hello,
looking to buy a new watch but want to be able to use it and function well for a while cause of exercise durations times, what's the best watch any of you would recommend?
cheers

Sent from my SM-G9550 using Tapatalk
Depends on your trade.
Int corps, a Rolex is OK

I’d still say that, for the purposes of the OP, a beater watch (such as a billy basic Casio) isn’t a bad idea if it’s going to get trashed during training.

Once past basic training, I’d agree in terms of an analogue watch being easier to read. I wear one myself. These days your phone will do all the other stuff. I’m uncomfortable paying more than £250 for a watch though.

Whatever you buy, remember to set it 5 minutes fast!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Casio F 91 W for basic stuff. £9, small, reliable.

And won't be missed in the event of a **** up, unlike the Tag that my chum managed to leave at the bottom of a trench before filling it in. Noone volunteered to help dig it out again.

1580326976817.png

Issi

War Hero
I'm on my second g shock in 20 something years. The first one fell apart after about 10 years, and when I sent it in for repair, they said
" mate, it's knackered, we don't do these anymore, but if you want to buy another g shock, we'll send you a voucher for (I think) 40% off!!

Tidy

G10 watch.

I purchased one second-hand in 1990, still going, bombproof.

G10 watch.

I bought one from Silvermans in 1992. It died 2 weeks later when swimming in Gibraltar docks. I never got round to testing its resistance to explosives.

armchair_ninja

Old-Salt
G10 watch.

I bought a G10 from Silverman's. It looks tiny on my wrist so I've gone back to my G-Shock DW6600 which I've had for about 25 years. Had new strap and new surround but watch itself still going strong.
casio-gshock-dw-6600-1v-1455289200-5073.jpg

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
They still being issued? Years ago I trundled into the Q's cave to ask for one and it was like I'd asked for a unicorn.
To be fair, a Unicorn is easier to account for.

I bought a G10 from Silverman's. It looks tiny on my wrist so I've gone back to my G-Shock DW6600 which I've had for about 25 years. Had new strap and new surround but watch itself still going strong.View attachment 446802
Much too big and, too much information. I have 2 G10's, an original 'wind up' and a 'battery one. both let me know the time, that's all I want from a watch.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
They still being issued? Years ago I trundled into the Q's cave to ask for one and it was like I'd asked for a unicorn.
PM @stacker1 he’s just left the army and he‘ll sought you one out, very cheap, sold as seen.

To be fair, a Unicorn is easier to account for.
If you could find a unicorn and train it to lie down in sunshine, with it's horn in the air and it's back to the North (or South in the Southern hemisphere) you could pull a pizza box down over it's horn and mark off the shadow position on each hour. Simple, portable, daytime solar clock. Alternatively, given the changing times (pun not intended) you could borrow one of your colleagues stiletto heels and poke that through the cardboard from a rat pack box.

Dubb_al_Ibn

War Hero
If you could find a unicorn and train it to lie down in sunshine, with it's horn in the air and it's back to the North (or South in the Southern hemisphere) you could pull a pizza box down over it's horn and mark off the shadow position on each hour. Simple, portable, daytime solar clock. Alternatively, given the changing times (pun not intended) you could borrow one of your colleagues stiletto heels and poke that through the cardboard from a rat pack box.
You work for DE&S, don't you ?

Remembering that it’s solar time so you may have to adjust for summer time.

Also, if you’re west of London by a significant amount you’ll have to aim off for that too.

IIRC Bristol is about 11 minutes behind London. When they opened the GWR they realised they were going to need to standardise time. Hence GMT.

Latest Threads