Best watch for usage in the field

The only other thing to consider is the radio time setting feature. It'll keep time...bang on, for ever! No drift, no anything...fit and forget.
How does that work when your CO gives the OGp time check based on his granddad's 50 year old half-hunter?

Call me old-fashioned but what is wrong with the good old G1098 watch from 'Man at Q and M'?

It meets the requirements in that it tells the time and is robust.

ETA: the KISS principle applies!
Just be careful with the face as tin the 80s they really didn't like insect repellant. Rather scary when you consider they expect you to put it on your face!

When kids these days ask you what day/date it is, they look at you as if you’re crazy when you say “no, idea, it’s a quarter past”.

JackSofty

Old-Salt
Nothing with buttons on it (rules out digital display), you may very well find out why soonish even with improvements in case tech.
Analogue all the way, simple as possible. Issue job served its purpose for many years but, ‘cos I am a lazy old git and can’t be ARRSEd to keep a stock of batteries, automatic Rolex Explorer 1 does the job now.
Simple, bombproof, numerals & indicators big & bright enough for ancient eyes and retains its value.

Sent from my karzi while losing several pounds

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
For @Themanwho

Apologies, I mashed my "disagree" button and intended to follow up with an explanatory post but my employers (curse their little black hearts) occasionally call on me to do some actual work and this sometimes gets in the way of more important stuff!

My intent was to point you in the direction of Trenchartax Military Products on ebay, where you can pick up an MWC copy of the G10 watch for about £80. If you specifically want a CWC watch, you're no doubt correct, but there's no discernible difference between them.

The guy that runs Trenchartax is an old mate (REME armourer), and does all sorts of shiny tut (cufflinks, hipflasks, engraving jobs, brass hoojamaflips, pocket watches etc) for a reasonable price.

Alternatively you could do what I did, and miraculously find one...

G10 for me.jpg

And no I'm not a gorilla, chicks dig a good pelt.

A cheap Casio or Traser watches are worth looking at.
My Traser code blue is going on 10ish years and the lume is still good.

It all depends on if you prefer analogue or digital.

Don't spend too much on it as it will be your beater watch and get trashed/lost.

How does that work when your CO gives the OGp time check based on his granddad's 50 year old half-hunter?
Two different ways....

1. The Army way: Figure out how far off his Half Hunter is and apply the offset mentally and say nothing....

2: The RAF way: Tell him he's wrong then take the piss out of him for using such an antique in a modern Air Force!

Simplest!

;-)

:)
Just be careful with the face as tin the 80s they really didn't like insect repellant. Rather scary when you consider they expect you to put it on your face!
What situation were you in which required you to put your watch on your face? :)

There is also an updated Casio F91w which is the W217H.
A little larger and with much improved backlight.
About £18 on Amazon.

...and very popular with angry, bearded gentlemen, I'm led to believe.
I thought they all wore expensive, BFO, GPS watches nowadays, or is that only for going out and sunday best?

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
They still being issued? Years ago I trundled into the Q's cave to ask for one and it was like I'd asked for a unicorn.
Only if you know the password ;)

Latest Threads