Best watch for usage in the field

I stick a Garmin on for training, got a couple of expensive watches that barely see the light of day anymore and I generally cut about with a battered 15+ year old solar ProTrek, basically a GShock with a couple of added features. Actually came with a decent NATO alternative strap, i.e. If one of the bars fails, it'll still be attached by the other one.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
G10 for men, free from any reputable QM.

G10 for men.png

Accept no substitutes!

I use my grandads 1942 issue Hamilton. The hands are still worryingly luminescent ( good radium ?)
its stood up to 75+ years of use with no complaints other than I use a silvermans strap instead of the old leather.
and it gets used all the time in all weathers. Modern tech ? Pah!.

I use my grandads 1942 issue Hamilton. The hands are still worryingly luminescent ( good radium ?)
its stood up to 75+ years of use with no complaints other than I use a silvermans strap instead of the old leather.
and it gets used all the time in all weathers. Modern tech ? Pah!.
I take it you have no hairs on your lower left arm?

Now you come to mention it..... no not really !!
luckily I’ve finished producing family as well !!
Just don't open the thing up! I doubt you'd get a watchsmith to work on it these days, although there is stll a strong market for WWII watches.
By all accounts radium watches are still safe-ish to wear as long as the case is never opened and the lume, if intact, is just as effective today as it was when manufacturered.
After a quick look around I don't think any allied WWII watches denoted radium use on the dial/case unlike later when the 'L' and 'T' were indicated within circles printed on the face.

4(T)

LE
I gave up on Casios and other digital watches almost immediately I started soldiering - too many bad experiences of pressing the wrong button when trying to see the time, and switching the display to stopwatch or alarm or something. Didn't think it was a good idea to have a watch that needed two hands and daylight to operate!

For me its a solar-powered Citizen eco-drive, with exactly the same black face, white numbers and hands as a G10.

No dial clutter or stupid graphics and scales; easy to read under all conditions.

2513306_R_Z001A.jpg

I gave up on Casios and other digital watches almost immediately I started soldiering - too many bad experiences of pressing the wrong button when trying to see the time, and switching the display to stopwatch or alarm or something. Didn't think it was a good idea to have a watch that needed two hands and daylight to operate!

For me its a solar-powered Citizen eco-drive, with exactly the same black face, white numbers and hands as a G10.

No dial clutter or stupid graphics and scales; easy to read under all conditions.

View attachment 446454
There is an argument that it's easier to "visualise " time with an analogue watch.
Using the above watch - Need to be somewhere at 1030? You've got until the minutes hand gets to 5 ( get there 5 mins early ) on the above watch. No need to subtract 9 from 30 less another 5 to work it out on a digital.

If you can't get hold of a G10...then G-Shock all the way.

Couple of points....they are all rugged. Very rugged and will survive whatever you want to throw at them. Yes, resin straps can fail..but I've got stuff that 15 years old still on the original strap with no signs of failure....I also think you don't want anything stronger than your arm! You want the strap to break before you remove large chunks of arm!

Analogue is often easier to read at a glance, but the digital are often easier to use.

Be careful about getting a negative display. They look cool but can be a bastard to read at times.

Think about solar....you'll get at least 15 years out of it until you need to change the capacitor.

The only other thing to consider is the radio time setting feature. It'll keep time...bang on, for ever! No drift, no anything...fit and forget.

Oh..if you really don't want to spend shed loads, another vote for the f-91w. Less than a tenner...super lightweight and you can stick a spare at the bottom of your Bergen.

You pays your money and takes your choice....

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
Hello,
looking to buy a new watch but want to be able to use it and function well for a while cause of exercise durations times, what's the best watch any of you would recommend?
cheers

Sent from my SM-G9550 using Tapatalk
G10. Simples.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
They still being issued? Years ago I trundled into the Q's cave to ask for one and it was like I'd asked for a unicorn.
I seem to recall that in my day, the issue scale was one per vehicle commander. But as commander of Rebro 2, there wasn't one for me because vanity senior ranks had been there first.

Get some kind of G-Shock. They take a lot of abuse. I find it only needs to show the time, date and have a backlight.

I also have a Sunnto and I won this one in a raffle:

Decent battery life for a smartwatch.

View attachment 446454

Have to agree. When I started I bought a Casio digital (F91 or similar). 24 hour time, alarms, waterproof etc etc. Gave it up very quickly. Same as @4(T) I use a watch to see how early or late I am and an analogue watch shows what you need at a glance. Digitals have their place but that extra second or two of thought when you are tired, stressed and fed up and you are told "be there in 15 minutes" and it's 22:47 is just a complication I could do without. Plus the issues of wrong button, alarms, backlight coming on etc etc.

Simple, clear analogue every time for me. May not look as exciting as the latest digital wonder but you only want a watch.

(PS - I've worn a Rolex Submariner for 20 years. It does exactly the same as my cheap £10 watch from Argos, it tells me how late or how early I am)

Latest Threads