Best watch for usage in the field

Hello,
looking to buy a new watch but want to be able to use it and function well for a while cause of exercise durations times, what's the best watch any of you would recommend?
cheers

Sent from my SM-G9550 using Tapatalk

Hello,
looking to buy a new watch but want to be able to use it and function well for a while cause of exercise durations times, what's the best watch any of you would recommend?
cheers

Sent from my SM-G9550 using Tapatalk
A cheap Casio.

£8.99 from amazon.

I used the old fashioned version of this and it was nigh on bulletproof. Don’t get anything too massive it’ll just catch on stuff.

Casio G-Shock Unisex Watch in Resin with Solar Power and Snooze Feature - Rectangular Shaped & Water Resistant

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
Some g-shock bargains here (often just damaged packaging etc.)

Another vote for G-Shocks here. I’ve had two that have lasted about ten years so far. They’ve been banged, dropped, thrown, drowned and never had a problem. At around £50 for a basic model, they are terrific value for money. Just the thing for a wet and windy battlecamp.

Don't they issue watches these days? Having said that, I'm another vote for G-Shock.

On the other hand... why not treat yourself? This has got leadership potential written all over it. And they say you can't buy class......

watch.jpg

Casio f91w
Accurate, can be read in the dark, subtle, cheap to replace.

Everything else does the same but for more money.

Timex Ironman.
Cheaper than a g shock, tough as old boots, decent strap. Buttons big enough to use with gloves. Pick em up for 30-40 quid.
I find resin straps are a common point of failure, so make sure it's not too flimsy. You can, of course, add a decent g10 type later.
Some peeps pack a cheap spare watch
Like the casiof91w @fraudstar was on about and stick that under the daysack lid. Something to fall back on when you discover the last section attack left your watch behind. Only a tenner or thereabouts.
Just don't set the alarm on them or it will embarrass you.

Timex Ironman.
Cheaper than a g shock, tough as old boots, decent strap. Buttons big enough to use with gloves. Pick em up for 30-40 quid.
I find resin straps are a common point of failure, so make sure it's not too flimsy. You can, of course, add a decent g10 type later.
Some peeps pack a cheap spare watch
Like the casiof91w @fraudstar was on about and stick that under the daysack lid. Something to fall back on when you discover the last section attack left your watch behind. Only a tenner or thereabouts.
Just don't set the alarm on them or it will embarrass you.
+1 on the resin strap issue.

Don’t buy anything you can’t afford to break or lose.

Digital watch alarms had just arrived on the scene* when I went through RMAS. People used to set their watch hour alarms for 1200 during lectures in the Woolwich Hall to give the DS a gentle hint that it was lunchtime.

There’d be a steadily rising crescendo of ‘beep beep’...and one Arab’s more gucci watch playing ‘Für Elise’.

I can’t hear it without getting Woolwich Hall flashbacks...

Death by PowerPoint? Pah! You ain’t suffered anything until you’ve seen the DS walk in with a huge stack of OHP Vu-foils, and an eternity later you see he’s only gone through 30% of them...

* yes I’m that old...

I would say that just don't get a watch with too many gimmicks. Just get one that you can read the time easily on, is easy to operate, and has decent water resistance or is waterproof (two different things!).
And you don't need a compass, barometer and all the other gubbins you find in much more expensive field watches. I'm looking at you here Suunto!
A nice basic G-Shock will do you fine if you are really going to bash it around, and as I said, don't go for one of the more fancy models. I have a blacked out G-Shock donated by a friend who fell out with it as you can't read the bloody thing even on the brightest of days.

I started getting the regular ("waterproof to 100 metres", not G shock) casio digital watches in Jan 1981 and wore them for the rest of my IDF service + 20 years in the reserves + for life in general.
The only issue I ever encountered was straps or batteries wearing out.
There is no need to pay for a Gshock, though my son got one for his service in the IDF infantry.

Re:Resin straps et al
Better to leave a resin strap hanging on a fence than a steel band and the skin off your hand (or if you’re avionics, end up welded to a battery terminal...).

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
The cheap Casios have gone up in price. My second in 1995 at £6.95 was cheaper than a quote to replace the battery on the first (£6.99). I've had a couple since. The last was an emergency watch. Doubles as a bathroom clock.

I read McNab when he was edgy. He recommends G-Shock for covert work in one of his novels. I had a Baby-G until it expired. The only option in stock from Argos had a camouflaged strap. When it died I got a full G-Shock. It's still ticking robustly somewhere by my right hand since I got a smart watch to get fit and put the G-Shock to one side.

I have managed to install a retro Casio face onto my smart watch. Either it takes me back to my youth middle age or it makes me feel my age because I remember it.

Call me old-fashioned but what is wrong with the good old G1098 watch from 'Man at Q and M'?

It meets the requirements in that it tells the time and is robust.

ETA: the KISS principle applies!

Latest Threads