• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Best war songs.

I don't know about a song... but two top tunes (for different reasons) both get the hairs up on the back of my neck when played...

Wagner - Ride of the Valkyries :Apocalypse Now
Barber - Adagio for strings : Platoon

the theme tune to "a bridge too far"

Stockton96 said:
What is your favourite song from a war film ?

mods please move if not in right forum.
Maybe not quite the impact of Ride of the Valkyrie, but Colonel Bogey from Bridge on the River Kwai has some effect, if only for the sheer audacity and defiance it represents.

I'm looking for songs from films mainly. songs like get around (three kings) and these boots are made for walking (Full metal Jacket).

Stockton96 said:
I'm looking for songs from films mainly. songs like get around (three kings) and these boots are made for walking (Full metal Jacket).
Ah, modern films? Did you know that the battle-scenes in Full Metal Jacket where they sing the Mickey-Mouse song was filmed at Romford Gas-works in Essex?

Aaaah ...well in that case it's got to be:

Nowhere to run to...Nowhere to hide.....
Martha & the Vandelas (Good Morning Vietnam
)

Particularly apt at the moment for all those lingering in a hole on a mountainside dying of Typhoid lergy... :)

Panzer March , a favourite of the late PTP senior

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
How about anything from the album "Songs to Invade Poland" such as the Horst Wessel Lied or Tomorrow Belongs To Me.

Battle of Britain. Dambusters, 633 squadron. Tehy don't make movies like them anymore.
TB

Best War Songs or my favourite and most stirring of war SONGS are the collection of Rhodesian Military "Troopie Songs" played and sung by Mr. John Edmonds, accompanied by various male voice choirs from units like the RLI. RAR. RR. SAS. SELOUS Scouts plus many others. Following closely behind that are some of the songs from the French Foreign Legion, which are all very impressive to hear.
Now should you refer to War music or War movie themes then there are far too many in my favourites lists to list them all here....!

Indeed Green Leader with extracts from the communications with Lusaka Tower is always a favourite.

Mr_Bridger said:
I don't know about a song... but two top tunes (for different reasons) both get the hairs up on the back of my neck when played...

Wagner - Ride of the Valkyries :Apocalypse Now
Barber - Adagio for strings : Platoon

Have to agree here - outstanding!!

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
In fact there are vast lists of best war songs if you check out the sticky in the film music and arty forum.