Best war songs

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by wm1965, Mar 17, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. [It's here rather than the NAFFI as I want to err on the more serious].

1) It's a Long Way to Tipperary
    2) Over the Hills and Far Away
    3) Panzerleid

Tunes
    1) Highland Laddie
    2) Lilleburo
    3) Colonel Boogey

2. 1. In The Fall (A.K.A. The Navy Song)- Billy Tallent
    2. Fortunate Son- Creedence Clearwater Revival

3. War-Edwin Starr.
    Says it all.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Negligent-Discharge

Negligent-Discharge LE Book Reviewer

Anything with the Pipes being played!
    By the way wm1965 "Panzerleid" is correctly spelt "Panzerlied". You've written "leid" which means sorry
    Off thread slightly now; My old man and I were coming down a mountain in California's Sierra Nevadas and
    he started singing a bawdy song. Being an innocent 16 year old I asked what it was. "I'll tell you
    when you're older." Fast-forward to 2003 and the old boy's had a stroke. He's in hospital, can't write, walk or speak.
    ... "Oh dad, I looked up Eskimo Nell on the 'net". He roared with laughter and kept chortling till we left. Apparently it's a favourite
    with the RAF. The Ballad of Eskimo Nell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• Like Like x 2
  5. Yes I like 'Over the Hills and Far Away' too, I think 'Lili Marleen' is a great song.

• Like Like x 1
  6. The D-Day Dodgers

Lili Marlene

7. Farewell to Sicily.

I visited a few of my favourite places from my youth recently and went to Syracusa, Sicily, birthplace of Archimedes. The allies saw action there in WWII. I cannot recommend the place enough. It's not an easy place to get by, but if you have a sense of adventure, a love of history and want to go off the beaten track then this is for you.

A war song I love is 'like soldiers do' by Billy Bragg. Check out the lyrics. Brilliant.

I am on iPhone so I can't post linkies to YouTube. I'm sure they are there.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Islands of No Return by Billy Bragg.

"After all this it won't be the same, messing around on salisbury Plain"

How very true...

Rodney2q

• Like Like x 1
  9. You could do worse than get a copy of the 1969 film, "Oh What a Lovely War". It's like a "best of.." album, with all the classics. More recently, "Good Morning Vietnam" has all the favourites of our septic cousins. Favourite tune has to be "Black Bear"

• Like Like x 1
  10. phil245

phil245 LE Book Reviewer

try and get hold of a copy of an album called " Come on Lads" by a group called "sods Opera". its a collection of wartime canteen songs. warning it is very explicit. you can pick up a copy from Amazon.

11. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Brothers in Arms Dire straits.
    Lilly Marlene.

12. Warren Zevon - Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner

Warren Zevon's - Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner is well worth a listen

also Zevon's Lawyers Guns & Money

• Like Like x 1
  13. "The Boers have got my Daddy", originally sung by one Tom Costello.

14. Slightly off topic, but has anyone heard of a "comic" wartime song that went "Old Man Shickelgruber, your're going to lose the rubber, we're going to make you blubber ..." etc. Can anyone tell me if this was a genuine WW2 song or was it invented for some film or TV show?? I've tried tinternet to no avail.

15. Eternal Soldier by Dorset folk group the Dolmen. Not sure about the choice of images or all the sentiments expressed but it's a decent tune none the less.

Eternal Soldier The Dolmen - YouTube