Best war movies

I thought it quite good, though at some points I suspect there was CGI muzzle flashes added. Certainly much better than the Odd Angry Shot which was dreck
I thought thought the Odd Angry Shot was far better. Its not really a war film as such though. The action scenes are incidental. Its meant to show the strains amongst a small group of men who are all gung ho and raring to go at the start of the year long tour, but have had enough towards the end.

My favourite Vietnam war film though was Hamburger Hill. far better than Platoon.

TamH70

MIA
I thought thought the Odd Angry Shot was far better. Its not really a war film as such though. The action scenes are incidental. Its meant to show the strains amongst a small group of men who are all gung ho and raring to go at the start of the year long tour, but have had enough towards the end.

My favourite Vietnam war film though was Hamburger Hill. far better than Platoon.
Have you ever seen 84-Charlie Mopic? Yon's a good film. Harrowing to watch, mind.

I watched Sam Fuller’s The Steel Helmet twice last year and I think it’s bloody good. Low budget , some maybe risible dialogue in parts , but also a lot of great lines , brilliant action and probably most important of all, the spirit is in the right place. Fuller was an infantryman in WW2 and it shows. Gene Evans’s performance as Sgt Zack is outstanding.

Last edited:

Sophie Scholl – The Final Days

If you haven't seen it, it's definitely worth a watch. The film is based on documented transcripts, so very accurate and tells the story of German students opposed to Nazism.

Sophie is now regarded as one of the heroes of Germany.

Another day, another war film. This time "Lebanon." The film is shown from the point of view of the crew inside of the Israeli version of a Centurion Tank.

So expect Das Boot levels of claustrophobia.

"The Outpost"
Scott Eastwood
Orlando Bloom (He gets killed early)
Milo Gibson
Will Attenborough

True story of ''Red Platoon'' and its Afghanistan COP Keating being overrun by Taliban in 2006. 2 medals of honor awarded. 53 US soldiers and 2 Latvian NCO's versus 300+ Taliban @ Kamdesh.

White Tiger (2012) -

Russian film about a Tiger tank that seems supernatural and a guy who recovers miraculously to fight it.

Recommended. I particularly liked, how early on there was a Matilda II in shot. We really did send them to Russia.

"The Outpost"
Scott Eastwood
Orlando Bloom (He gets killed early)
Milo Gibson
Will Attenborough

True story of ''Red Platoon'' and its Afghanistan COP Keating being overrun by Taliban in 2006. 2 medals of honor awarded. 53 US soldiers and 2 Latvian NCO's versus 300+ Taliban @ Kamdesh.

Good movie